Onboard account question

webfoot3

After traveling on HAL earlier this year the topic of holds being put on credit cards being used to back onboard accounts have a whole new meaning. Can anyone tell me what holds RCCL puts on cards used for onboard accounts? I find nothing about this in the FAQ files.

Ron

This was RCCL respose when I wrote them;

"During check-in, your credit card will be verified as an active card. Each evening, if purchases were made throughout the day, your bank will put a hold for the amount charged. At the end of the cruise, the bank will put through the charges incurred."

This has been my experince on the past four cruises with RCCL.

I double checked the RCI web site and could not find anything other than vague references as to the establishment of credit.

I was the witness to what the OP is talking about. The women in a balcony cabin directly below us wanted to use her cell phone to sort out her problem in a rather loud voice.

As I understand it, the cruise line “reserves” a certain amount of money on the day of embarkation. For the sake of argument, let’s say $200 per day per person. So for a 7 day cruise, the cruise line reserves or puts a potential hold or charge of $1400. Evidently, the women below us sailed with a large balance due on her card and then made some charges in our first port. When she tried to use the card in the second port, the card was rejected.

Needless to say, she was extremely upset, since no one explained the process. Stuck mid cruise with only one credit card that was now useless.

Combined from 2 different FAQ questions at rccl.com:

All of Royal Caribbean International ships operate on a "cashless" system, meaning your boarding card, (also known as your SeaPass card), will be used as a charge card to make all onboard purchases. Normally to activate this SeaPass account, most guests provide a credit card, (American Express, Optima, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and Diner's Club), to have these purchases charged to at the end of their cruise. Additionally, the SeaPass system may be activated with traveler's checks, debit cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo, or cash.

A running tab of all your purchases will be kept under separate folio numbers for each guest and an itemized statement left in your stateroom the night before disembarkation. If you provided a credit card and there are no discrepancies, the amount will be charged to your account on the morning of disembarkation. If you have used traveler's checks or cash to activate the account, you will need to settle the account at the Guest Relations desk, (to either receive a reimbursement of the unused amount you originally left or to pay the balance of what you have charged over the amount of what you originally left).

Please note:

We require guests to place a deposit if they are paying for their SeaPass account with cash. There is a $500 daily limit on cash accounts for 7+ night sailings and $300 for 2/3/4/5 night sailings. Once the daily cash limit is reached, we will call the guest and inform the guest that the limit has been reached.

+++

Additionally, as part of our SeaPass system, there will be pending authorizations placed on your credit or debit card throughout the cruise in order to verify the availability of funds. These normally fall off within 3-5 business days, however, if they are causing inconvenience, please feel free to contact us via email for assistance in removing these.

Archived