photo paper question

cmoq

We have an hp photo printer. Store said that we can't use stock photo paper. Must use hp paper for twice the price because of the fixer in the paper. True or false? Can we use office depot paper for $15/100 or hp paper for $30/100? Bob

I have tried some less expensive paper with my HP printers. They did not work very well, they would smeer even minutes later. If you want good pics. I think the better paper is what you want. Sometimes you can find a buy one get one free special, or get some free when you buy new ink.

Hope this helps

Stay with the better paper. I have a whole box of paper that I wished that I could take back. It makes splotchy pics. that dont seem to want to dry. Ilike the HP printer, but it does not seem to make that much difference if you use the photo ink or not.

Hope this helps

Yes, you normally get the best results using the same brand paper and ink as your printer. Also, HP's claims on archival quality only apply when you use their paper and ink.

http://www.hp.ca/portal/hho/scienceofprinting/premiumplusphoto/Fade_Resistance_of_HP_Prem_Plus_Photo_Paper_NAEMEA.pdf

You want those photos to last!

By the way, some of the longest lasting photos come from professional printers. Costco's a great place to get that done cheaply.

NOTTTT!!!! I have an HP Photosmart 7350 printer & for Christmas my Son gave me 2 boxes of Kirkland(COSTCO!!) photo paper; it was the VERY BEST quality, higher numbers than even Kodaks best & the prints are INCREDIBLE!! I know they suggest to use the printers paper, but what I have done is sometimes click on the option in the printing menu to use the HP paper, I have also clicked onto "other photo papers" and had good prints also, Good Luck & Happy Snappin':)

We have an hp photo printer. Store said that we can't use stock photo paper. Must use hp paper for twice the price because of the fixer in the paper. True or false? Can we use office depot paper for $15/100 or hp paper for $30/100? Bob

We have a HP printer, I had tried a cheaper photo paper one time. The quality of the prints did not equal the quality I get when I print pictures on the HP paper. Even though its more expensive watch for some sales. Office Max and Staples quite often run a buy one get one free deal. I have also been told to use the same paper as the printer make. I found it does make a big difference.

NOTTTT!!!! I have an HP Photosmart 7350 printer & for Christmas my Son gave me 2 boxes of Kirkland(COSTCO!!) photo paper; it was the VERY BEST quality, higher numbers than even Kodaks best & the prints are INCREDIBLE!! I know they suggest to use the printers paper, but what I have done is sometimes click on the option in the printing menu to use the HP paper, I have also clicked onto "other photo papers" and had good prints also, Good Luck & Happy Snappin':)

I love a bargain, I just won't do it with photo paper. I've seen the major brands independently tested, and can be confident about archival quality. I just won't take a chance on pictures fading. You might check out http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

Found one link to an article there, that shows on my HP printer (photo cartridge #58), Staples Premium Glossy can be displayed in room light for 2 years before it fades. However, my HP Premium Plus paper is good for 73 years. So, is the Staples stuff really cheaper???? Staples says it's "safe for archiving". Right. Kirkland? Well, can't find it on Wilhelm Research site. Not sure who's paper they're reselling.

I actually tried the officemax paper once and took it back when the ink didn't dry in over 30 minutes. The had a money back guarantee on the side of the box and I used it. I also have a bad experience with OfficeMax notebook paper. I would definately stay away from store brands.

I have had really good experience with Kodak paper and I can find it on sale easier than the HP paper. I don't know about the ink and paper mix changing the archival status. HP sells so many different inks depending on how old your printer is, how can the paper be perfect for all the different inks.

jmho

Ann

I have had really good experience with Kodak paper and I can find it on sale easier than the HP paper. I don't know about the ink and paper mix changing the archival status. HP sells so many different inks depending on how old your printer is, how can the paper be perfect for all the different inks.

Kodak seems to work okay with HP. According to http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_FadeFactor_Nov_2002.pdf Kodak Ultima High Gloss is good for 21 years of display using HP inks (Deskjet 5550 and other that use the same cartridges). However the Ultima paper is only good for 4 years on certain Epson printers. HP paper on the same printer was good for 73 years. Other tests show that the Kodak's own photo printers aren't that great in this area.

Maybe 21 years is long enough; I normally don't look at this stuff except: The tests shows paper by the printer manufacturer is much better. I agree with you that lots of papers may look great out of the printer. I just have no way, except these tests, to know how they'll look in years to come.

By the way, when I want to save money with lots of prints, I go to Costco - 18 cents per 4x6. They use Frontier Printers with Fuji Paper - good to display for 40 years and are much cheaper than printing on your own. Walgreen's also uses these printers.

Good shooting,

No photo paper that is used on an inkjet printer is really that good. With all the jams, errors and other things that can happen it is usually expensive. I have found that Ofoto.com and other places work well. If you have high speed internet you can upload your photos to them and they print them professionally, just like you get when you develop 35 mm. It is quick and you still get to pick which pictures you want. There are a few companies that do this. I think Walmart has online service also. If you use ofoto, look for coupons and discounts online. You can also bring most media cards to drug stores and print your pictures on a machine they have (good if you don't have high speed internet). Also great quality.

When you use an online company you don't have to worry about formatting or print setup. You just upload the file and tell them the size prints. I have totally stopped printing pictures at home. No matter what the paper, inkjet ink is still inkjet ink.

Archived