"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

1. Ask about a tour of bridge/engine room, cause you are honeymooners.

2. Bride should wear a small veil on first day, people will buy you drinks the whole cruise.

3. Let your waitstaff/matre'de know you are honeymooners. They will sing to you.

4. I read on a thread that some couples will move a mattress to the balcony so they can sleep (read...*wink*wink*) one or two nights out there.

5. Relax and have fun!!!

I have been going thru all kinds of info pages. I have read that some people take a case of there favorite soda with them in there carryon. Can u do this on the Conquest? I love Diet Coke and I hear that all they have onboard is Pepsi products.

when we were on the conquest in Feb they did not have ANY pepsi products only coke products.

I absolutly love this thread. I read every single comment and replys. I learned so much from so many people. I tend to travel light and am a vetern traveler having traveled as a backpacker pretty much all over the world.

I have never taken a cruise so was reading the differnt things I might consider taking on cruises and I really do appreate all of it. I had never considered a power strip for example and am thinking about it. Also Highliters mini-s are a good idea. One of the favorites I read was about taking envelopes with two one dollar bills in them like one for each day of the cruise. Also including some candy, somthing from home. For example I am from and live in Alaska so I could take a Alaska Magazine and place it under the envelope on the first day. I would also include money in the envelope as well. I appreate learning that a lot of crews like magazines and I could offer that from my home.

I do appreate all the suggestions and if some people like to pack heavy and enjoy it that way thats great. I like to pack trim and slim as it where but still pack things like a small first aide kit. I always pack a small first aide kit that actually stays in my small purse I use every single day. It has bandaides,Antiseptic wipes, Adhesive bandages, a couple of Midol. It goes every where I go and ive used it a lot.

I appreate all the suggetions and tips and people taking time to write them. I think its great to read them all and get the ideas. I dont think its neccesary to demean or make fun of other peoples helpful suggestions.

I also loved the one about a small spray bottle for by the pool. I think thats a great idea. Being from Alaska Im going to work very hard not to get over heated.

Also is thier a way to check if we get a fridge in our rooms? Do we check the cruiseline website? I want a fridge and although I dont drink alcohol at all. I want to be able to store juices and cold water in thier and plan to have all the alcohol removed from fridges.

Also is the drink card worth it? I like a couple of diet cokes a day and if the cups are small then that might make a drink card worth it.

I also plan to prepay all tips so that i dont have to think about or worry about it. Also can we prepay cash before the cruise like send a MO or have it taken right off my Debit card before the cruise? I want to do it that way.

Thanks all for answering any questions and thanks all for the tips. Thier was tons of great tips I dident mention that ive now learned.

Im also planning my parents anniversy cruise for them so all these tips are great for them,

Adri :)

I wish I had found CC months ago! My sweetheart and I are tying the knot this weekend, and we sail the Western Caribbean next week. (My first cruise, her second!)

Since finding CC last week, I've been amazed at the amount of helpful information available. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips! I can't wait to share in what all of you have already experienced. You can bet I'll become a faithful CC follower...and probably a lifelong cruise addict.

Congratulations on your marriage. May you have many many years of love, joy and happiness. Have a perfectly, wonderful honeymoon cruise.

Also is thier a way to check if we get a fridge in our rooms? Do we check the cruiseline website? I want a fridge and although I dont drink alcohol at all. I want to be able to store juices and cold water in thier and plan to have all the alcohol removed from fridges.

Also is the drink card worth it? I like a couple of diet cokes a day and if the cups are small then that might make a drink card worth it.

I also plan to prepay all tips so that i dont have to think about or worry about it. Also can we prepay cash before the cruise like send a MO or have it taken right off my Debit card before the cruise? I want to do it that way.

I, too, am a first time cruiser but I have done a lot of research and have been reading these boards for a while now. So, I have learned a lot.

I think whether or not you will have a fridge in your room depends on a couple things. One, your particular cruise line and, two,your type of cabin. You should check your cruiseline's website and look at the amenities for your chosen cabin category. If you can't find anything listed, you can always call either the cruise line or, if you have one, your TA.

The drink card usually entitles you to 20 sodas which are half a can of soda each.

You should check your cruiseline's website to see if you can purchase onboard credit before your cruise. In any case, when you do your online check in, before you receive your cruise documents, you will have to either register a credit card on which the cruiseline will place a certain, per person, daily hold. This hold is not placed until the day of sailing and at the end of your cruise, your card is only charged for actual purchases and not the entire hold amount. If you are sailing for 7 days , and the hold amount is $60 a day, then the total will be $420 for the week per person. You can also opt to pay cash upfront when you board. If you should exceed this cash amount, you can always add more to it. You can always inquire at the purser's desk about your account throughout your cruise to keep track of your spending. You can also catch and correct any mistakes on your account and not find them on the last day of your cruise and, avoid a long wait.

I wish you the best and happy cruising.

just got back from my first cruise.

1. take less clothes. even though i changed 2-3 times a day i still brought to much.

2. take dressy flats. i changed into flats every night after dinner. (feet were swollen every night)

3.buy a case of water anywhere but the duty free at the ship. very expensive.

4. ask the room steward for more hangers

5. forget the shore excursions. there are taxi's at every port for tours.

6. bring an over the door organizer (the best thing i brought) for the bathroom.

7. get on the ship early. celebrity summit has lunch in the watergrill cafe the first day.

8. eat what you want. 2 dinners, 3 desserts - go for it, it's your vacation.

9. if you have an early dinner seating get there on time. it stresses the waiter out if you are late because he has another seating after you.

10. if you order the drink packages. ask the bartenders for different drinks. eg. the frozen package - ask for frozen regular drinks, all they can say is no, but you might be surprised. - nonalcoholic smoothies are included in the frozen package.

11. talk to everyone and use their names. the staff likes to know you remember them.

I had never considered a power strip for example and am thinking about it.

I like to pack trim and slim as it where but still pack things like a small first aide kit that actually stays in my small purse I use every single day. It has Band-aids, Antiseptic wipes, Adhesive bandages, a couple of Midol. It goes every where I go and ive used it a lot.

I also plan to prepay all tips so that I don't have to think about or worry about it.

1. I can't imagine traveling without a power strip. There are only 2 receptacles by the mirror in the smaller cabins. With the power strip, PegEgg has 1 for hair dryer, 1 for curler; I have the 1 for our laptop; 1 for the fan (white noise for sleeping); and 1 for the extension cord for the bedside clock. If you've been counting, that leaves 1 for whatever else she needs. IF you can imagine needing 3 things plugged in at the same time, the power strip is the only option.

2. I love the idea of a 1st Aid kit you carry with you. PegEgg does that, and routinely dispenses Band-aids to cruisers who have blisters, but didn't think about bringing Band-aids.

3. We, always, prepay the tips. One less thing to worry about.

just got back from my first cruise.

1. Take less clothes. even though i changed 2-3 times a day i still brought to much.

2. Take dressy flats. i changed into flats every night after dinner. (Feet were swollen every night)

9. if you have an early dinner seating get there on time. it stresses the waiter out if you are late because he has another seating after you.

11. talk to everyone and use their names. the staff likes to know you remember them.

1. A checklist made in advance - or right after a cruise - is the best cure for carrying too many clothes. My DW, PegEgg, has a checklist for our packing. The way she packs, we can unpack four bags in under 7 minutes. (Yes, I've clocked it.)

2. Swollen feet is probably the number one complaint I've heard from the ladies. I know that PegEgg changes socks several times a day, and she brings flats for after dinner.

9. As for arriving late to dinner, not only does it stress the waiter and the assistant waiter, but it alienates your fellow diners. It means that every course is served late. If your fellow diners have commitments after dining, they will either be late for it or will have to leave early. If my brother, Rich, has to leave early and miss dessert, you will be mentioned — in anger — the remainder of the evening.

11. "Take to everyone and use their names." What a great suggestion. We write down the waiter's, assistant waiter's, cabin steward's, and dining mates' names. Then, we make it a point to use them. To aid others in learning our names, we wear 3"x5" name tags. "People like people like them." Using each other's names aids in the communications process.

Edited by DarryDFL

Here is my top five list (OK plus a couple of extras). Some are repeats of what others have said, but I think they are worth emphasizing:

• Arrive at your departure port one day early to avoid stress.

• Bring a power strip, and three large binder clips. Binder clips are to keep your curtains closed in case they sway with the motion of the ship, so you can sleep in past sunrise.

• Get to “know” your ship in advance by reading CruiseCritic reviews and joining the CruiseCritic roll call for your trip. It’s sad to learn of a special place on board, where you would like to have spent time, on your last day! The reviews also help to let you know what to expect on board, so you can match your expectations with reality.

• Once on board, get a couple of copies of the ship’s deck plan. You can get them from the pursers/reception desk. Very helpful to familiarize yourself with the layout of the ship in the first few days aboard.

• Enjoy some of the “quiet times” aboard the ship: a walk around the deck before you go to bed, an early morning sunrise, or finding a seat in a quiet lounge during the day to read a book while sipping a coffee and enjoying the ocean rolling by.

• Splurge… Have a glass of champagne at 10:00 AM… Sleep in, order room service, or whatever sounds like fun.

• A small highlighter is great to mark up the ship’s newspaper. There’s lots of announcement in the paper, and it can be frustrating to go back to try and find that one thing you know you want to do.

• Ask! If you want something listed as an appetizer to be your main course, or if you want some extra hangers, or a towel animal in your cabin, or…. The crew really does try to meet your needs. Not everything is possible, but they’ll try.

• Introduce yourself, and give your room steward a tip on the first day. Doing so has given me extra-good service.

Here is my top five list (OK plus a couple of extras). Some are repeats of what others have said, but I think they are worth emphasizing:

• Arrive at your departure port one day early to avoid stress.

Im arriving two days early and planning to explore and relax that way no stress at all but what a great tip.

• Bring a power strip, and three large binder clips. Binder clips are to keep your curtains closed in case they sway with the motion of the ship, so you can sleep in past sunrise.

I would never have thaught of a power strip. I am a light packer so am really considering this and think its a good idea if one has lots of things to plug in.

• Get to “know” your ship in advance by reading CruiseCritic reviews and joining the CruiseCritic roll call for your trip. It’s sad to learn of a special place on board, where you would like to have spent time, on your last day! The reviews also help to let you know what to expect on board, so you can match your expectations with reality.

I appreate this and it makes so much sence thats for sure so thank you.

• Once on board, get a couple of copies of the ship’s deck plan. You can get them from the pursers/reception desk. Very helpful to familiarize yourself with the layout of the ship in the first few days aboard.

Good Idea im going to get a cruise brocure ahead of time and take out the deck plans so I know where things are and then also know where my cabin is and how to get to it before I board an action plan if you will lol.

• Enjoy some of the “quiet times” aboard the ship: a walk around the deck before you go to bed, an early morning sunrise, or finding a seat in a quiet lounge during the day to read a book while sipping a coffee and enjoying the ocean rolling by.

Good Idea :)

• Splurge… Have a glass of champagne at 10:00 AM… Sleep in, order room service, or whatever sounds like fun.

• A small highlighter is great to mark up the ship’s newspaper. There’s lots of announcement in the paper, and it can be frustrating to go back to try and find that one thing you know you want to do.

The highlighter idea is a great idea and im defently taking at least two small highlighters for this reason.

• Ask! If you want something listed as an appetizer to be your main course, or if you want some extra hangers, or a towel animal in your cabin, or…. The crew really does try to meet your needs. Not everything is possible, but they’ll try.

• Introduce yourself, and give your room steward a tip on the first day. Doing so has given me extra-good service.

I have a question about tipping the room steward. I know I like to start my day with a glass of orange juice or cranberry juice and a piece of fruet and/or a small bowel of cereal every morning. How much should I tip the steward the first day. Ive heard everything from 5.00 to 10.00 the first day then 2.00 each time I get room service.

I have no problem paying 10.00 the first day then 2.00 each day. Then should I also pay say another 5.00 on the last day or just the standard 2.00? Unless of course thier is exceptional service?

I also plan to prepay the tips and also im taking two 7 day cruises back to back.

I only plan to get room service each morning so thats say 10.00 the first day then 2.00 each morning and then maybe one extra time so thats 26.00 on average.

I also dont drink alcohol so wont be tipping for that either.

Also what about tipping the Massuse or any of those services whats the standard for a cruise?

I used to work as a Housekeeper so I know how valuable tips can be thats for sure,

Thanks,

Is the room steward typically visible? Could you simply leave an envelope for him/her on your bed? I'm just curious how one would go about tipping him/her on the first day in the least awkward way possible.

Is the room steward typically visible? Could you simply leave an envelope for him/her on your bed? I'm just curious how one would go about tipping him/her on the first day in the least awkward way possible.

They normally come and introduce themselves to you as you are getting to your room. They usually will then ask if there is anything you need right away. Many people just give them a tip then. I usually do it after I've asked for a favor,:D. Make sure it is in addition to your autotips, not in lieu of.

Boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise (Carnival) next month, very excited! This thread has been pretty helpful (never would have thought to bring a power strip!), although we're going to go against some of the advice here. :)

Anyway, a couple of questions:

What's the dress code for the "formal" night? I keep reading conflicting advice, and boyfriend does not currently own a suit/tux (or a jacket, I don't think)--would a shirt and tie be ok if we decide to do the formal thing?

This is a dumb question, especially from someone who has traveled internationally, but what currencies to Caribbean ports accept (Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk)?

1. A checklist made in advance - or right after a cruise - is the best cure for carrying too many clothes. My DW, PegEgg, has a checklist for our packing. The way she packs, we can unpack four bags in under 7 minutes. (Yes, I've clocked it.)

2. Swollen feet is probably the number one complaint I've heard from the ladies. I know that PegEgg changes socks several times a day, and she brings flats for after dinner.

9. As for arriving late to dinner, not only does it stress the waiter and the assistant waiter, but it alienates your fellow diners. It means that every course is served late. If your fellow diners have commitments after dining, they will either be late for it or will have to leave early. If my brother, Rich, has to leave early and miss dessert, you will be mentioned — in anger — the remainder of the evening.

11. "Take to everyone and use their names." What a great suggestion. We write down the waiter's, assistant waiter's, cabin steward's, and dining mates' names. Then, we make it a point to use them. To aid others in learning our names, we wear 3"x5" name tags. "People like people like them." Using each other's names aids in the communications process.

Great advice, thanks for sharing!!!:)

US Dollars are universally accepted in the Caribbean.

Much to the dismay of many "Dress Code Police" posters here on CC, a shirt & tie & a nice pair of pants (not shorts!) & your BF will be fine. I, personally don't care what anyone wears. I don't usually look, especially at guys:D. I do wear a suit or a tux, but that's me.

Boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise (Carnival) next month, very excited! This thread has been pretty helpful (never would have thought to bring a power strip!), although we're going to go against some of the advice here. :)

What's the dress code for the "formal" night? I keep reading conflicting advice, and boyfriend does not currently own a suit/tux (or a jacket, I don't think)--would a shirt and tie be ok if we decide to do the formal thing?

This is a dumb question, especially from someone who has traveled internationally, but what currencies to Caribbean ports accept (Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk)?

On formal night you will see anything from Tux to shirt and ties. Wear what you are comfortable in wearing. My hubby and I had great pictures of him in dark suite/tie and me in a long black dress with glittery jacket. On the second formal night I used the same black dress with a shawl instead of jacket :) Never would know unless I told you !

As far as currency went we were in ST Thomas and St Marten and used US currency in both ports. Someone correct me if I am wrong since its been about 8 years in those ports

What's the dress code for the "formal" night? I keep reading conflicting advice, and boyfriend does not currently own a suit/tux (or a jacket, I don't think)--would a shirt and tie be OK if we decide to do the formal thing?

There are no dumb questions. We, all, enter new arenas where we lack knowledge. What I recommend is seeking to be competent.

I define competence as (1) knowing what to do, or (2) who to look, or (3) who to call (4) when.

Formal night usually requires a tux; or a suit & tie or ascot; or a jacket and tie. I wear a tux and a silk t-shirt — the color of which is decided by my wife.

Some ships will permit you with a shirt and tie, but your table mates may frown upon it.

Take your boyfriend to a second-hand store, and buy him a jacket. You’re going to meet a “million” people, but you’re not going to be dating them. Your date will be on your arm. However, you want him to be as comfortable as possible in this somewhat challenging environment.

You want him to blend in so that all eyes will be upon his date.

Boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise (Carnival) next month, very excited! What currencies to Caribbean ports accept (Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk)?

Every port we've been to on a cruise ship in the Caribbean accepts U.S. currency. The photos you take will last far longer than any souvenirs you buy.

Ok a few things:

I literally read the whole thread.. Awesome thread!

For us first timers that do drink.. There is an option called Bon Voyage through Carnival. You can pre buy bottles of liquor to have delivered to your room before you leave to drink while on your cruise. I called the other day. For instance, I pay $30 for a 1 liter bottle of Captain Morgans spiced rum. Through Bon Voyage I will pay $40. NOt a bad deal at all in order to have liquor on borad to make drinks with and not have to pay an arm and a leg for a drink. There is no limit to the amount of bottles you pre order..

Question: Do we really have to have our luggage out in the hallway the night before the end of the cruise? I mean, this freaks me out.. I do not want my bellongings out in the hall overnight..

Still having a hard time understanding this whole hold on our credit cards though.. I think I am going to go the cash route.. If I am understanding this correctly.. Lets say I give Carnival $1000 cash to hold for me instead of using my credit card.. As I charge to my room, the amount I gave them will be deducted, correct? If I run out of money, I can just give them more cash to add to my account..

What about the casino's? We play Black Jack.. Do they take cash? I am sailing on Carnival Pride in August..

Thanks

What to bring does also take into effect what type of cruiser you are. I think there are a few main types.

1. People who love the ship and could care less if the got off in port

2. People who look at the ship as a moving hotel and can't wait to see new places (these people rarely book the same cruise twice - been there done that)

3. Casual vs Formal - personally I have never wore a jacket or a tie to formal night. Jacket takes up to much room in a suit case - scuba gear is more important. I have never worn tee-shirt or jeans. Just a nice button down and dress pants.

4. Day vs Night - some are up at 6am and asleep by 10-11 other go to sleep at 4am.

1. Duct Tape - example 1 , 3 weeks ago we flew to Florida to catch a cruise. My checked bag had a big rip in it, it had a double liner so it had a flap hanging off and then the "silk" lining was still intact, so I fixed it with duct tape for the filgiht home. example 2, we were in Roatan, my wife falls in love with this carved wooden chest, which is about the size of a carry on bag. So back on the ship the night before we fly home we pack it full of stuff, lock it, put it in a garbage bag, tape it up then fashion a carrying strap out of duct tape. - I carry a full roll with me now every vacation. (and in my truck)

2. Book excursions with local companies. I have only booked 2 excursions through the ship and they were the worst 2 I have ever had. You are loaded like cattle onto huge buses. I have seen 6 buses waiting for the same tour figure 60 people a bus. Most of the time when I book local business (find them on the internet before hand, not at the dock. Shoretrips.com is good also) I have ended up with a private car with the driver/guide, my wife and I. Most of the time the guide see where the convoy of ship buses is going and goes the opposite way. I have been to many major island attractions being just my wife and I, maybe 2-6 other people. Not 200+ and it was $20-40 less than the ships cost. The drivers even have taken us to local markets and such, not the tourist shops the ships buses stop at.

3. Remember it is your vacation do what makes you happy (and is legal), not what you think other think you should do. If you don't own a jacket, don't go buy one. If you want 4 meals order them. I personally try things that are not common at restaurants at home.

4. If you criticize the food on the ship, please also include the magazine/newspaper you write the food column for and include at least 3 personal references, and pictures of the offending dishes. I have never had a bad meal on a ship, if I didn't like it I ordered something else, besides, you didn't have to cook it, serve it or clean up.

5. When you see a group a other cruisers trying to take pictures of each other in front of an attraction, take their camera, make them all get into the shot and take the picture for them.

6. A easy to remove door decoration. Not a sticker, but they make a removable cling. Print something nice on it, put it on the outside of you cabin door, makes finding your room much easier, for you and if you invite guests to your room. (and on the second to last day move it 2 doors down and watch all the other people who were also using it try to get into the wrong room)