Rememberance Sunday 2009

southwestie

My Dad was a 17 year old from Brooklyn, NY that signed up for the US Navy (after his Dad - who served in WW l - signed permission papers)with a few of his friends from the neighborhood.....he was at Omaha Beach for D-Day and later did mine sweeping in the Pacific near Japan.....

Dad first heard Vera Lynn back in the early 1040's while overseas & loved her as many of you brave people did..it wasn't until years later we were able to locate her recordings & Dad played them endlessly...Dad passed away last year & the day before he died I put Vera Lynn on for him to listen to - he just smiled....

Thank you all you brave men & women who fought for th world!!!!!

Ny NY

Here she is ....

My Dad was a 17 year old from Brooklyn, NY that signed up for the US Navy (after his Dad - who served in WW l - signed permission papers)with a few of his friends from the neighborhood.....he was at Omaha Beach for D-Day and later did mine sweeping in the Pacific near Japan.....

Dad first heard Vera Lynn back in the early 1040's while overseas & loved her as many of you brave people did..it wasn't until years later we were able to locate her recordings & Dad played them endlessly...Dad passed away last year & the day before he died I put Vera Lynn on for him to listen to - he just smiled....

Thank you all you brave men & women who fought for th world!!!!!

Ny NY

Here she is ....

Thats a great story to read, how brave he was , as were so many others, so many years later, we still remember what everyone did to end that war, and yet they still continue.

But this is a special day

The day was suitably remembered today on the QM2. Captain Bate's Sunday Service was quite moving, and he later admitted to being a bit choked up. Paper red poppies are very evident on the lapels of many well dressed folks throughout the ship.

Well done for the posting. Always a big turnout at the Cenotaph here in Blackpool. My father's uncle died in Normandy in July 1944 and we've visited his grave a couple of times. True bravery, just like our forces, from the UK and many other countries continue to display.

The day was suitably remembered today on the QM2. Captain Bate's Sunday Service was quite moving, and he later admitted to being a bit choked up. Paper red poppies are very evident on the lapels of many well dressed folks throughout the ship.

That is good to know. At church this morning, my mind was straying a bit (!!) and I was wondering what happens onboard. We were onboard for the September 11th remembrance service and that too was very moving- it's always lovely to hear Eternal Father and to be part of a group where the singing of it is so relevant.

Watching last night's tv Festival of Remembrance was so emotional (I am turning into my mother and cried on and off during the whole programme) because sadly what was, a few years ago a thanksgiving and remembrance for the past is now so much, horribly, part of our present.

Archived