14 hours in Rouen - what to do?

cpgrneyes

My H and I have been to Paris, but before we were married. We'll be traveling for our 10th anniversary next year, the she ship docks in Rouen at 7:00 am departing at 9:00 pm.

What would you recommend we do for the day? My vote is to head into Paris, because 8 hours there (the high speed train is 1-1/2 hours from what I can tell) is better than, well, 8 days most places! Any place else we should consider? I've not been to Rouen, but that just doesn't seem like a whole day's trip.

My thought is we could be in Paris before 10:00 am, head to some destination (they're all wonderful), have lunch, roam around, have a glass of wine, roam some more, and head back.

Your thoughts? I was only in Paris once for five days, so certainly didn't feel rushed. I can't imagine going near Paris without a visit!

I was in Rouen last September for only one day. It is a gorgeous city with a lot of medieval buildings and churches. It's pretty big too, although easy to get around by foot, so with 14 hours you won't get bored if you choose to stay.

For me, Paris is a city you need 5+ days to appreciate and since you've been before, my suggestion would be to get yourself a guide book on Rouen and take your time to visit it!

Bear in mind that Rouen is not on the coast, so there's a bit of travel time involved. Presumably the ship will have some sort of shuttle.

I have never been to Rouen, or Giverny, but I'm betting either would be great without the big trek to Paris. Giverny is about halfway between Rouen and Paris, so I'd be inclined to stick with Rouen, myself, although I would love to see those gardens!

Thanks for your help - this may be one of the ports where we wait until we get a little closer and see what we feel like doing. I think it's a can't lose situation. We have sea days both before and after Rouen, so I don't mind being crazed the whole day.

Archived