$500,000 or $1,000,000 in emergency medical transportation?

MuffinW

Actually my US insurance is world wide. While many US insurance don't cover work wide some do. Many Medicare supplement policies do as basic medicare does not.

$500,000 supplemental coverage is more than sufficient. Its almost unheard of for it to exceed that-even with evacuations.(its even relatively rare for a medical case in the US to exceed $500,000)

If you don't have medical coverage or coverage because you are a EU participant you are expected to pay even in Europe...but they charge less then they do in the US.

I agree with this, $500,000 should be more than adequate except possibly in some extreme and very, very unlikely situation. Evacuation from the top of Mt Everest? Deep in a jungle in Angola? Even then that amount should cover it.

That's about the limit I look for when purchasing insurance, and even that's probably overkill.

• 3 weeks later...

It might be worth a look at the policy to see how "Europe" is defined. My policy's a UK one and so has no direct bearing on Americans, but it defines Europe to include any country with a Mediterranean coastline - which would include Egypt. Even if you're on the Red Sea coast.

Archived