Going on first cruise! Need Ideas on proposing on the ship! Getting Married!

fmjets11

Hello all,

I am new here and to cruises but not to the forum scene so please dont rip me to hard if this is in the wrong section lol

I am going on my first cruise w/ my gf in March 2010 from Baltimore to the Bahamas on the Carnival Pride! We are both 23 years old and I have decided I am going to proposing sometime during the cruise.

I want to hear your guys ideas, or suggestions on what to do, who to contact etc. Any romantic ideas?

I have tried contacting Carnival but they basically told me they dont have any special arrangements?

Would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks!

You might want to arrange something special in the formal dining room on formal night. Maybe have the matre di (spelling?) allow you to propose from the intercom system. I know I would have loved that! Some might say to have them arrange your room with romantic champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, rose petals and such, (and although that would make a nice surprise to get back to), the thrill of a proposal on board is to share it with EVERYONE!

Hello,

After you get on the ship, take a long walk around and look for the most romantic place you can find on the ship. To me, this would be at the front of the ship at sunset. Generally there are few if any passengers up here at that time because they are having dinner, at a show, in bars, or getting ready for dinner.

As both of you look at the sunset, pop the question.

Or, maybe on formal night, go outside to take a look at the moon and stars. Usually on the Boat Deck you will be protected from the wind and as you both gaze at the moon...

We have been on two Carnival cruises where the groom proposed DURING the show in the theater, may have been formal night but I don't remember. The guys must have spoken to the cruise director (CD) ahead of time and they planned how to get both on stage and how he would pop the question. The CD always introduces everything at the theater every night. Then the soon to be groom got down on a knee and proposed with the CD holding the mike so everyone could hear. She was VERY surprised and did say yes!

IMO you should avoid the public proposals and choose one of the more private suggestions. This is a private and serious moment that should be shared just between the two of you. I have seen too many public proposals that did not go well or resulted in saying "yes" to avoid embarassment.

Once she accepts, THEN you can arrange to have the show announcer, maitre d', etc. announce that you have just become engaged. People will share your joy in just as genuine a way. You can arrange to have champagne brought to your table (our TA arranges this as a perk for special occasions) and pose for an engagement photo.

IMO you should avoid the public proposals and choose one of the more private suggestions. This is a private and serious moment that should be shared just between the two of you. I have seen too many public proposals that did not go well or resulted in saying "yes" to avoid embarassment.

Once she accepts, THEN you can arrange to have the show announcer, maitre d', etc. announce that you have just become engaged. People will share your joy in just as genuine a way. You can arrange to have champagne brought to your table (our TA arranges this as a perk for special occasions) and pose for an engagement photo.

I agree. It's more special and romantic, I think, if it's private.

I don't think you should do it in the main dining room at dinner. IMHO, since the main dining room is essentially a fancy restaurant, you could take her out to dinner at home and propose. Take advantage of the fact that you are on a cruise and propose on deck while looking out at the sunset on the ocean. If you have a balcony stateroom, do it there, and order champagne and strawberries to celebrate.

I think proposing over moonlight by the water is awesome--that's how my hubby proposed (not on a cruise but by the Potomac River). If you want to not do it completely alone, you could also propose while having formal night pictures taken (get down on one knee and get it captured on film). Whatever you decide-congratulations and have a fantastic cruise!!!!

Definitely figure out if she would like something private or public. I would kill my bf if he did something showy and public in front of a whole cruise ship--I of course would still marry him, but I would be mortified! This is such a huge moment that you want the focus to be on the two of you and how special and precious the memory of it is--you want a nice story you can tell your friends and family. Will she be happier telling them that you proposed at sunset or in front of 1000 strangers in a theater? I'm not saying either is better--just make sure you know HER and what she'd like.

Either way, good luck and have a great time!

I would opt for private and romantic. I also think it would be better to not plan it. You will know when the time is right.

I would not want to share such a thing with everyone, but I'm just one of those that dislikes fuss. One year at work several of my coworkers found me and belted out Happy Birthday and while it was very sweet, I'm quite glad no one remembers when my birthday is.

Only you know what would mean the most to the two of you. Grand gestures can be fabulous but can go wrong.

just popped into my head..since you are on a cruise with tons of jewellery stores ashore why don't you go ring shopping with her...she gets what she wants that way...and probably will spend less than you would have...guys don't want to appear to be cheaping out...knowing what I now know about diamonds..jewellers can't tell them apart from fake ones without equipment OR the fact that the fake ones have no flaws..I would go really nice setting and a fake diamond...but thats just me...ask with a crackerjacks ring and go shopping

for the record we went ring shopping together and spend my savings for a trip to europe

Congrats and great idea! I got engaged on a cruise in April so I have a little bit of insight. First off, i would not have loved it if he did it in front of everyone during formal night or a show-which he originally planned on doing (at dinner) He ended up doing it as the sun set on deck-we were the only ones around-incredibly romantic. I am so glad he did it the way he did, because it was a special moment that the 2 of us will never ever forget! Plus, now we're planning our honeymoon-another cruise! Good luck with everything!

You know your girlfriend better than any of us on the boards. Is she the kind of person who would like a public proposal? Some people would not! Only you know what she may or may not like. Is she picky? If so, maybe letting her pick out the ring is a good idea. You have to tailor your proposal to her tastes, and only you are the expert on what she might prefer.

I would have hated it if my husband had proposed to me in public. Some people love getting attention from perfect strangers, but not us. We don't even mention our birthdays or anniversarys in public since we can't stand being sung to and draw attention to ourselves.

So, do go with what you think your girlfriend will love. Make it a surprise, plan on what you will say to her, make it special for just the two of you. I think it would be very romantic to propose while on an excursion, like snorkeling, or on the beach. Or plan to ask her in one of the specialty restaurants, after a romantic dinner. Or, first thing in the morning, when she thinks she looks her worst. Then you can announce (if she says yes) in public if you wish.

I know a couple who were engaged on a cruise. They went on deck to see the sunrise one morning. She closed her eyes to rest for a few minutes while he watched for the sun to appear at the horizon. At the perfect time, he told her the sun was appearing, she opened her eyes to see him on one knee with the ring. That time of morning meant that it was private. On the anniversary of that cruise, 69 family and friends cruised with them for their wedding in Nassau, Bahamas. Very romantic.

I know Carnival has gifts and special occasion packages. I would order champagne, roses, and a cake specifically. Order a cake and have them put on it- "will you marry me"? (chocolate mousse is the one I like!)

They will put this in your room when you embark,-if you want privacy-or you could go the public route and have the cake delivered at dinner.

If you do the room thing-do you think you could distract her someway so you could enter the room first and spread rose petals over the bed? That would be a nice touch-if you go the "private" way?

Perhaps you could have them deliver the cake, roses, and champagne to your room during dinner the first night-leave the dining room to "go to the restroom," sneak back to your room and spread out the rose petals? Maybe that would work?

Now I don't think Carnival has rose petals, just the roses, and you would want to keep the bouquet whole. She will want that for sure! So I would buy those myself and have them hidden in my luggage. I am pretty sure most grocery store floral departments sell them.

Yea I think it is definitely going to be something private she is not one to draw attention to her self it makes her very nervous. But I just dont know how to get alone on the deck? I really wish I could find someone going on the cruise that could get it photographed or something still thinking about that kind of idea.

I think maybe after I propose I can have someone announce it somewhere? I dont know...she might not even like that!

If I take rose petals w/ me wouldnt they go bad? lol

1. rose petals...might even run afoul of agricultural regs...

2. if you want a picture...propose on a formal night when you get your picture taken...not as private as you might like but you would have a photo..plan b would be to propose in private then go get your portrait taken

3. plan c..drop a 300 page prenuptial agreement on her at the start of the cruisea..real romantic move that

hahaha i just laughed out loud that would be very sweet drop the prenup right there LOL.

Keep the ideas rolling....I think it will be private at sunset or sunrise....or maybe I will put the ring in a champagne glass? Do they have all kinds of wine b/c I know her favorite is a sparklin moscato d asti and i wondered if I could get it on board...its like a sweet champagne basically

I think I'd avoid the champagne glass--what if you end up with a choking incident (or worse? I'll stop right there...)

Because I'm a worrier, I'd say if you're not sure she'll say yes, propose near the end of the cruise.

Heh--the snorkeling mention brought up this visual: both of you underwater--you hold up a (laminated) sign saying "Marry me?" But now we're back to the "choking" scenario...

I think whatever you do will turn out fine. Best wishes!

You can bring one bottle of wine per person onboard so I'd do that. you can bring champagne glasses too, if you want. We just happened upon a deck that was desserted at that moment so thats how we got to be alone for our proposal, it was unforgettable for sure. Whatever you do, it will be special, and she will love it! Keep us updated as to how you decide to do it~!

Archived