?question about best western yacht harbor in san diego?

MOYSHA

We are planning on flying into San Diego a day ahead of our cruise and staying at the Best Western Yacht Harbor. We are also staying over one night after our cruise and would stay at the same place. On the flight home we are catching the "red eye" so we will have 2 days in SD to sightsee.

QUESTIONS

Is this a good location for us ?

How is the BW Yacht Harbor ? Is it a clean place?I've read good and bad (mostly good) reviews.

I don't want the hotel/motel to ruin our vacation as we are celebrating a special anniversary and my beating (so far) a dreaded disease.

Thanks

AL

The biggest problem with that location is that it really isn't near anything touristy. Don't have any views on the hotel itself. Couple of hotels close to the ship, close to touristy stuff, close to easy transportation, great dining, etc. These would be Holiday Inn On The Bay and the Hampton Inn at the edge of Little Italy.

Available touristy stuff from either of these 2 locations. Gaslamp Quarter (downtown), Old Town, Little Italy, Sea Port Village, USS Midway Museum, Star Of India Museum, San Diego Zoo (by bus), Balboa Park (same bus)

Here is a map that shows the location. Holiday In On The Bay is across the street from the Cruise Ship Terminal. Hampton Inn is also close by.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=32.7192769&lon=-117.171936&z=17&l=0&m=b

Thanks SDPadre Fan..............

The prfoblem is that Holiday INN on the bay is "coming up" at $182 + and I wanted to stay well below that. The Hampton Inn reviews showed that many people complained about the noise from the train. Is the Hampton that you mentioned the one on Pacific Hwy and Beech St ?

Al

I'm a little surprised at that price as well. There are a lot of 4 star hotels in downtown San Diego going for more in the $100 a night range right now. My understanding with the Hampton Inn is that as long as the room is in the front part of the hotel (away from the tracks), then the train noise is not that bad.

Try going to the San Diego Forum Page of TripAdvisor (parent company of CruiseCritic). There is a great local expert there called "riffsmom" and she knows a lot more about the hotel scene in San Diego than I.

Here is the link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60750-i41-San_Diego_California.html

We stayed there, B.W. Yachet Harbor, about 2 weeks ago. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing special either. Just a nice motel. There are several places to eat across the street. A nice Pizza place. If you go across, walk on down the harbor. It's very pretty, and there were a few more things on down.

We had a little balcony in our room with a nice view of the harbor.

Very reasonable rates if you don't need a fancy place. I say save your money for the cruise!

Hi everyone,:p

Am posting on this board now as well as on TA since am cruising on Mar 3 with Carnival.

Answered the question in the California forum.

Nothing wrong with the motel location IF you don't want to see the city or if you'll have a rental car.

Otherwise it will be hard to get around.

Looks like my sleuthing paid off. Glad to have you post over here as well. Maybe even the "West Coast Departures" board as well.

We are indeed leaving on the Spirit in less than 2 weeks. We love the Spirit and while the itinerary takes a little more work to find great activities, they are there. You just have to take the time to research. Best part is 4 "at sea" days to enjoy the fundamental reason for cruising - being out on the ocean, sunrises & sunsets, great dining opportunities, and the chance to meet new friends from all over.

Hope you are able to help the OP. I directed them to you because you are always so helpful over on the San Diego Board along with the other "DE's".

Archived