Help me choose a cruise line and ship!

sweetlowcountry

Help me narrow our search! Let me give some background first. We've been married for 3 years. We are in early 30s with no kids and we never plan to have any. Love adventure, the outdoors, good wine, good music and relaxation! We like cruising because we can visit lots of places on the same vacation and it isn't super expensive. We've sailed the following:

Carnival Ecstasy 2001 to Key West, Cozumel

RCCL Mariner 2006 to St. Mar, St. T, Coco cay

Carnival Valor 2007 to Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize, Cozumel

Carnival Liberty 2008 to San Juan, St. T., St. Mar.

Last year we decided it would be our last cruise on Carnival. It was just too cheesy, food wasn't good, and service wasn't great. We had a good time but we are looking to step it up... We enjoyed RCCL Mariner in 2006 but haven't sailed with them since because the "price was right" with Carnival. We've decided that "price" doesn't always make the ship "right"...

We've loved every port we've ever been to for different reasons. We are food and adventure junkies. We normally go out on our own to find the best "private" snorkeling, beach or hiking places. Or we do the "must do" adventure. We also do a good bit of research to find the best food in the area, whether it is a tiny hole in the wall or upscale dining.

Ok, now on to my dilemma... We are looking to sail in November or December 2010 for, hopefully, less than $1,000 per person with a balcony room. 7 or 8 nights. I've found SEVERAL cruises that might be what we want. I just don't know which one to pick. Here is what I have so far...

Celebrity - Eclipse, Equinox, Solstice, Summit

RCCL - Oasis, Allure, Liberty, Independence, Freedom, Serenade, Grandeur

Princess - Caribbean,Crown, Ruby

Holland America - Eurodam, Amsterdam, Westerdam, Ryndam

NCL - Dawn, Pearl, Epic, Jade

See, I told you I had lots to choose from! Here are our must haves... good food (we don't mind surcharges), sailing somewhere warm, non "cheesy" feel, cleanliness and good service. I would like to know your thoughts on these cruise lines and ships, given our background info. Am I missing something special from my list of possibilites?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me!

Help me narrow our search! Let me give some background first. We've been married for 3 years. We are in early 30s with no kids and we never plan to have any. Love adventure, the outdoors, good wine, good music and relaxation! We like cruising because we can visit lots of places on the same vacation and it isn't super expensive. We've sailed the following:

Carnival Ecstasy 2001 to Key West, Cozumel

RCCL Mariner 2006 to St. Mar, St. T, Coco cay

Carnival Valor 2007 to Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize, Cozumel

Carnival Liberty 2008 to San Juan, St. T., St. Mar.

Last year we decided it would be our last cruise on Carnival. It was just too cheesy, food wasn't good, and service wasn't great. We had a good time but we are looking to step it up... We enjoyed RCCL Mariner in 2006 but haven't sailed with them since because the "price was right" with Carnival. We've decided that "price" doesn't always make the ship "right"...

We've loved every port we've ever been to for different reasons. We are food and adventure junkies. We normally go out on our own to find the best "private" snorkeling, beach or hiking places. Or we do the "must do" adventure. We also do a good bit of research to find the best food in the area, whether it is a tiny hole in the wall or upscale dining.

Ok, now on to my dilemma... We are looking to sail in November or December 2010 for, hopefully, less than $1,000 per person with a balcony room. 7 or 8 nights. I've found SEVERAL cruises that might be what we want. I just don't know which one to pick. Here is what I have so far...

Celebrity - Eclipse, Equinox, Solstice, Summit

RCCL - Oasis, Allure, Liberty, Independence, Freedom, Serenade, Grandeur

Princess - Caribbean,Crown, Ruby

Holland America - Eurodam, Amsterdam, Westerdam, Ryndam

NCL - Dawn, Pearl, Epic, Jade

See, I told you I had lots to choose from! Here are our must haves... good food (we don't mind surcharges), sailing somewhere warm, non "cheesy" feel, cleanliness and good service. I would like to know your thoughts on these cruise lines and ships, given our background info. Am I missing something special from my list of possibilites?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me!

Well, we like Carnival a lot, but that being said, we have cruised on HAL and NCL. HAL is a completely different setting than Carnival, much less to do on board, and usually an older group of people. If you are looking for a quieter setting and a little more "refinement" The HAL Eurodam, which we cruised on this past June might fit the bill. We did not particularly like NCL but loved the itinerary of the one cruise when we used them.

I'm thinking maybe you might want to consider RCCL but we have never cruised with them yet.

It is very hard to suggest a cruiseline to someone because everyone has different tastes and preferences. Having said that I will give my opinions on what I would suggest.

Of the lines you mentioned and what you seem to be looking for I would suggest Princess, Celebrity or Holland America (in that order). Celebrity used to have a slight edge in the food department (note that it has been awhile sinced I cruised them). HAL is great for having a truly relaxing experience on beautiful ships that sometimes can be too quiet in the evenings. For me I find that Princess fits best overall and can be relaxing if you want or there are plenty of things to do both day & evening, if that is what you are looking for.

I should add that all three lines will have an older demographic. You will be able to find others in your age group but less than on Carnival, NCL or RCI, which caters more to families and younger adults. Hope this helps.

Based on your description of yourselves, I'd tend to lean toward Royal Caribbean. I think you'd fine the crowd on Celebrity a bit old and stuffy for your active & youthful outlook. I haven't tried Princess myself yet, but I think that would be my second choice. I've heard many negative things about HAL, from past passengers as well as travel agents and would definitely steer clear. Norwegian strikes me - only from what I've heard, I have not sailed with them either - as less active, more laid back. (People with more experience will correct me if I'm mistaken.)

We've found RCL to be more aimed at an active, younger crowd. Things like the in-line skating park, FlowRider, rock-climbing wall, ice rink, crew versus passenger dodge ball competition, etc. are evidence that their former "Get Out There" slogan was something they took seriously.

If you choose ships for the ports, don't go with Oasis or Allure. They don't visit many ports and the ones where they are able to dock are the same old, same old. If you choose your cruise for the ship, then the newer RCCL ships might be your best bet. (Although, because they are brand new, the fares are at a premium right now.)

Beyond that general advice, it is a little difficult to help you make this subjective decision. Do some reading on this site and get some idea of the pros and cons of each ship you're considering - FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE. My perspective might be very different.

Have fun!!!

Hello,

Look at the Azamara Journey transatlantic cruise in November of 2010. It may be out of your price range now but it is possible that the cruise may decrease in price the closer it gets to the sailing date.

Having been on all of the cruise lines and several of the ships you mention except NCL, I would concentrate on where you want to go. And... look at repositioning and transatlantic cruises as you sound like someone who would enjoy these cruises.

Archived