2 day CTN Review Ask away

nycruises

Embarkation - Arriving at the new york city cruise terminal around noon we fast and easy with many options to reach the terminal. There is no porter service for a cruise this short so you carry on and off everything you bring with you. Security was the same you would expect at any airport minus the shoe inspection. Very quick and easy. Check in took only a few minutes and sail and sign cards were in hand and off to the gangway we went. The ship happens to be to tall for the terminal to use their jetway like gangways so the ship boarded ever guest via deck 0 after a short walk up the pier under a tent that had been decorated the night before with balloons. Once on deck 0 there of course was the normal security photo taken and then a short wait for a elevator they did a rather good job managing the flow by slowing the people heading to the gangway as to not over load the lobby area on deck 0.

Cabin - 6490 aft port side extra large balcony - This cabin is laid out in a reverse L shape fashion no sofa is in this cabin but the extra large balcony with 2 chairs a small table and a lounge chair would more than make up for it. The in cabin safe is not the kind that requires a magnetic card to lock and unlock but uses a four digit code that you can select yourself, great for more than one person to be able to have access to the safe when needed. The cabin had a small mini-car fridge that was locked for this cruise but others on the ship said that they asked to have theirs unlocked. The bed faces the windows yes there are two windows in this cabin a 13 inch (viewsonic) flat screen TV faces the bed on the bit of wall between the windows. Perfect location and angle to watch form bed or the small chair at the desk area. The cabin has 4 draws one large on the bottom the rest smaller the top one continuing a hair dryer. There are three floor to ceiling closets 2 for hanging garments and one with shelving in it. And a small space between the cabinets and the wall to the door perfect for larger luggage or packages to be stored.

Chef's Art Steak House - First of all if it was $50 additional it would still be well worth it. Honestly best deal on any ship for a alternate dining venue for the additional $30 per person. The menu is standard across the fleet different cuts of beef, lamb and of course a gigantic 9 oz. lobster tail. The Lobster Bisque actually had real lobster fin meat in it no imitation here. The Wine list is extensive from a nice bottle of wine to a wonderful bottle of opus one ranging in prices from $20-$200 + 15% gratuity. The service is exceptional, the food is cooked as well as you would expect at a high end steak house on land like Smith and Wollensky or Morton's. The presentation is a fine example of how much care these chefs put into their food. I highly recommend a visit to anyone sailing on this ship it is located on deck 12 aft just outside the aft bank of elevators.

Main Dining Room - Our table was in one of the 2 annex dining rooms for the Crimson Dining room. I believe on cruises this short many people go to the Lido deck for dinner to not waste any time at all. And i can't blame them but sometimes you just need a nice table good conversation and great food to relax and get your evening of fun started. We went to the main dining room on the second night where they offered the formal night menu, with a cruise casual dress code. The Lobster tail was large and cooked very nicely and the medley of shrimp were also large than i have experienced in the past. I would have to say they were 21/25 sized shrimp ( 21-25 shrimp per pound) the yukon gold potatoes were a nice addition to the plate also but a baked potato or some wasabi mashed potatoes would have been better. Bar service was a bit slow in the main dining room but after a short wait and a course of appetizers they did arrive. Dessert was the normal menu nothing extra ordinary about it The chocolate melting cake was a bit too solid tonight but to have a few bites was all that was required.

Dancing in the streets - The Main Production show new to Carnival and being featured currently on the Carnival Dream was stupendous, The Fun Force Team was a large part of this show and the usage of well timed video's and live entertainers made it a great show for everyone. The music was more modern than what you typically experience but was warmly welcomed. The two lead singers were very talented and deserved every bit of applauds they received along with the fun force who were doing things that you would not think possible on a ship in 10-20 foot seas on a moving ship. I won't spoil any more details but i will say this is one not to be missed.

Laser Show - Sadly i missed this event because the weather had rolled in and rain was happening on and off but from the people i spoke with the fog that was around us most of the night made the show even better than the prior showing on the first night of the cruise. The laser show is synced to the music of pink floyd.

Comedy Club - A new venture into additional comedy on the dream is the Carnival Comedy Club where two headliners are featured per cruise doing one PG show and one R rated show. The opening act / MC who calls him self Jeff "the fun dude" needs some help. He tries to hard to pitch his material and most of it just isn't funny. This would be the one thing i would change quick if i was Carnival get a opener who can get the crowd engaged and ready to go, and not go to bed. This is a great new format and once the bugs have been worked out it will be one of the best entertainment venues on this ship.

Ocean Plaza - Basically a open area in the middle of the ship where the coffee bar, regular bar, and a speciality featured bar are located first night was margaritas at this bar the second mojitos were featured. The space has sofa;s and chairs spread out and a small stage where the entertainment staff have events and games happening all the time and later in the day singers or a small band performed in this area.

Piano Bar - Vince Strong was the player in the bar for this cruise and boy does he have a ton of energy and he shares it and had almost 200 people each night watching him and singing along the design and location of the piano bar is great in that it is located in the aft of the ship with the comedy club directly behind it.

Lido Deck food - The typical offerings are here but in addition they now feature a mongolian bbq, and a pasta bar. Sadly fish and chips are not offered any more.

In closing i would like to say many new ships do have their problem carnival was smart to take a few cruises in the med with this ship before a trans atlantic voyage I'm sure many problems had been corrected in that time as nothing to major was noticed this entire 2 day voyage. The layout of the ship with deck 5 going completely through the ship was great when the weather was not too nice to be wandering around the lido to get to places. This ship is going to be great once it's in warm weather all the time.

The part about no porters reminded me of the 2 day cruise on the Splendor last year....no porters were there either....but someone had forgotten to tell ANYONE (including the Carnival Reps)....

since we were doing a B2B (as were 120+ other folks)...PLUS we were doing an 8 day on the Freedom after that....we had all our normal luggage.

Anyway, we walk in dragging all our luggage...wondering where the porters are...and the Carnival Rep asked US...."what are you doing with your luggage in here?" I told him since there were no porters...where else did he expect it to be???? He was shocked.

I am amazed that all the BIG STUFF went through the xray machine.....

if it would not fit...they had to hand search it. Even my "big ole" Samsonite hard case fit.

That was one of the most interesting embarkations I have ever done.....

Archived