Questions for the World's Biggest Cruise Ship? Ask Oasis!

Dan Askin

Hi Brian,

Not sure I understand the question ... so you'd like to bring your coffee maker onboard and use it in the cabin, yes?

Are there any outlets in the cabins? No I would never bring a coffee maker, by the pictures there are some in the cabins already.

As a advanced surfer I am curious about what hours the flowriders will be going and for what activities. How much advanced surfing time will there be and will one be for full time surfing? :cool:

Anyone sailing on Oasis will you please include the Flowrideer times in your review or e-mail them to me thanks.

Anyone sailing on Oasis will you please include the Flowrideer times in your review or e-mail them to me thanks.

bwest, thanks for asking about the Flowriders because that is the one part of the ship I would like to see video and pictures of. That is our favorite part of the Freedom class and soon (Sept. 2010), Oasis :)

While watching the live feed, I felt very claustrophobic. The walkways seems very narrow for the amount of people that can be on the ship. I noticed in central park, near one of the bars, there were maybe 20 people and the walkway seemed very "clogged up". What it your opinion on this matter?

Will there be sound proofing for the rooms located on the boardwalk deck (Deck 7)?

We asked around and people who are in boardwalk cabins say that once you close your balcony door firmly, you hear absolutely nothing from outside (you're more likely to hear ambient hallway noise). I'll concur -- same goes with Central park cabins. Right now there's a Caribbean band playing some sprightly tunes, and when I'm inside, I can't hear anything. Of course, it's much nicer to be out on the balcony, enjoying the lush park setting and tapping my foot a bit to the music.

Dear Oasis of the Seas:

My question to you is about your onboard Medical Center:

My wife is nurse-editor of a nursing journal that specializes in wound healing, and I am a medical librarian and coordinator of medical education.

We will be sailing on the Oasis of the Seas on September 18th 2010.

Is it possible that we could arrange a tour of the medical facility with your clinical staff during that week?

In advance of our actual sailing week, would it be possible to include a few photos of the onboard medical center and its location on the ship?

Frank Landry, MSLS, AHIP

Medical Librarian + Coordinator of Medical Education

HealthAlliance Hospital Leominster, MA.

Joan Halpin- Landry-RN, MS, CETN.

Winchester Hospital Home Care Division.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you out on this front. What I'd suggest is that you try to contact Royal Caribbean directly -- the line is the only one who can give you permission to do this. You might also try a travel agent ... another option for pointing you in the right direction.

Are the menus in MDR the same as the rest of the fleet - onion tart and pork medallions on night one etc..!

How do they keep birds and other wildlife from hitching a lift in Central Park

Is Central Park as narrow, dark and dingy as it looks in the pictures - how much sun does it really get,and how wide is the bridge across the middle and how many rooms does it block light from

How long does one zip line ride actually last as it looks like seconds on the uTube clip.

Am I allowed this many questions?

Hi Albert,

Thanks for your question. Just posted this elsewhere, so we thought we'd repost here:

The original plan for Central Park called for it to have grassy places, just like sister line Celebrity has on its Solstice and Equinox. But because Central Park only gets three hours of sun per day, on average, RCI decided to go with trees and bushes.

It's not narrow, dark and dingy at all. Even now, as I type at 4 p.m. and the sun's clearly well on its way to the horizon, the space is shady, yes, but light and airy. One thing that I love about Central Park is that the breeze finds its way down the seven decks that span the range between it and the top-most deck.

Another intriguing tidbit: Ship designers have positioned aerodynamic sails in various parts of the upper deck around the park area to control (or facilitate) winds as conditions warrant.

It's truly my favorite space onboard (though I can see how the Boardwalk is going to really wow families). One negative, though: While most of the time it does feel like Central Park is on another ship because it's so serene, when the pool band up on top is playing the usual Caribbean uptempo tunes, the sound travels and pretty much swallows up the park area. But that's only now and then.

Hi Dan! My husband and I will be traveling on the April 24, 2010 sailing of the Oasis. Can you tell me which night the Mystery Theatre will be held and when we can start booking our reservations? It has always been a cozy, interactive, and entertaining show, and the actors draw as many of the audience into the experience as possible. Will that still be possible on such a large ship, or will they have multiple showings? I know it books up fast, and don't want to miss out! :)

Unfortunately Twinnie2, we've been told that there's no murder mystery dinner on oasis right now. Don't know if it's something my cruise line will add though.

Hello ,

With the Qasis being such a grand ship , do you think it will take away passengers away from the rest of the fleet and possibly do away with ships in the fleet like Majesty?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Great question. Royal Caribbean President Adam Goldstein reponded to just that question at a press conference held this morning onboard Oasis.

Question: Will Oasis of the Seas (and its sister, Allure, due out next year) dominate the fleet? Will it result in too many cruises to the Caribbean, too many ships and berths to fill?

Answer: Says Goldstein, "Oasis of the Seas will play a major role in the fleet in that it's augmenting a fleet that allows us to offer cruises all over the world. There's a domino effect that allows us to go out further, that frees up ships from our South Florida roots."

Indeed, Royal Caribbean, along with Carnival Corporation's Costa, is a real pathfinder in opening up cruising to passengers beyond the traditional North American market. Royal Caribbean, for instance, is stepping up its presence in Asia, with the year-round positioning of Legend of the Seas there. Independence of the Seas will be the largest ship ever to sail out of the U.K. year-round.

"On the other hand," Goldstein continues, "this ship will be from the get-go a powerful draw for international customers who are happy to get on airplanes from all over the world to experience Oasis." He says that it is anticipated that one quarter of Oasis passengers will come from outside North America.

Unfortunately Twinnie2, we've been told that there's no murder mystery dinner on oasis right now. Don't know if it's something my cruise line will add though.

I would like to put my vote in for a Murder Mystery Dinner on the Oasis. My husband and I did this on our very first cruise on the Freedom in 2007 and we loved it and we are SOOOOO hoping you add that to the long list of wonderful things the Oasis has to offer, please :)

Thanks,

Edna

I have been looking through all the pictures and I can not find one open outlet for the exception of the coffee maker. Could you please tell me if there are open outlets that might be hidden in closet, or a drawer?

Thanks for clarifying Brian ... we took a look and there are two 120s and one 220 under the desk. If you're going to be bringing lots of gadgets, we might suggest bringing a power strip as well.

As a advanced surfer I am curious about what hours the flowriders will be going and for what activities. How much advanced surfing time will there be and will one be for full time surfing? :cool:

We've had a few FlowRider related questions ... so here's what we've found:

We did ask about this, and crew members in charge said there aren't set times yet. They aren't sure when they'll be official, so we'll have to check back. However, the FlowRiders are open every day for at least 10 hours. Yesterday they closed down at 2 p.m. (not sure what time they opened) and re-opened from 4 - 6 p.m. for boogie boarding only. Then, from 6 - 7 p.m., it was stand-up surfing.

I was told that they will have set times for advanced surfers. They do keep boogie-boarding and stand-up surfing separate -- certain hours for each. But, no, there will not be one FlowRider dedicated exclusively to surfing.

Write-in question from Karen Heythaler of Center Line, MI:

"My husband and I are taking our 19-year-old granddaughter on the January 2, 2010 cruise. We are all excited. I know about the onboard activities for her (zip-line, FlowRider, etc.), but will there be any social groups organized for the 18- to 21-year-old crowd, so they can meet others? She was 13 on her last (and only) cruise and enjoyed the teen activities and meeting kids from across the country. Thank you.

There are no scheduled activities for "children" older than 17, as they're considered adults by that point. However, on Oasis, most of the young people seemed to hang out at Blaze (nightclub), Boleros (Latin dance club) and Comedy Live (comedy club). Those might be good places for her to check out if she wants to mingle with people her own age. I don't know how many young people are CC members, but maybe she'd wanna check out the Oasis Roll Call for your particular sailing? The teen portion of the Youth Zone is also pretty nifty -- I feel like some "kids" on the older end of the spectrum might hang out there, even though it's technically only for those ages 12 to 17.

We are sailing in Nov. 2010. Can you tell me if the sleep sofa is located near the sliding door or near the cabin door? Thanks in advance.

This actually varies from cabin to cabin. Editor in Chief Carolyn Spencer Brown and her husband Teijo have the same type of room (inward-facing balcony, overlooking Central Park) as Melissa (Managing Editor) and Ashley (Copy Editor), but Carolyn's couch is by the balcony door, and Melissa/Ashley's is by the cabin door. The former setup seems to make the room feel larger and offers much easier access to the balcony.

Are there spinning classes on board and if so will they be held in the morning or the evening. I prefer to exercise in the early morning. The spin classes on the Freedom and Liberty were held about 4:00 pm. This makes for a rushed time getting ready for a show before dinner. Thanks for taking our many questions.

Patty from MA

Sailing with several family members on Oasis in March 2010

Hi Patty,

Thanks for your question. There will definitely be spin classes available onboard, but we don't have a final gym schedule yet to provide. If you'd like to see some photos of the gym, we did just put together a spa & gym slideshow.

Excellent question. The cruise line has video but hasn't put it into anything that it can sell, best I know. But -- we were shown a beautiful video about the making of the ship that was made by Oasis' shipyard, STX Europe. That is not for sale -- but I'm told that the cruise line is looking into making that available.

Did rccl film the making of oasis so it can be used in college classrooms

prof naclerio

Someone posted pictures from the Solarium but it looked like a big hot tub. Is that the pool? We just loved the set up of the Solarium on the Freedom and were hoping the pool was set up the same way. Can you post pictures of the entire Solarium area?

Thanks for all the info :)

Archived