internet on eurodam

ubsueg

Thinking of getting a netbook for a cruise in May from Rome to London.

Will I be able to use it in our inside cabin or anywhere on board and is there a cost.

Thanks

It is so SLOW.

We have ATT Blackberries, and are in range often enough on cruises that we rely on them for all our internet needs.

Thinking of getting a netbook for a cruise in May from Rome to London.

Will I be able to use it in our inside cabin or anywhere on board and is there a cost.

Thanks

The cost to use a netbook or laptop is the same as using the ship's computers: $3.95 to start an account, then $0.75 /min, or $55 for 100 min, or $100 for 250 minutes.

The strength of the signal you get in your cabin depends on how close you are to one of the hallway antennas shown in this picture. They are spaced 10 to 12 cabins apart, and if you are 6 cabins away you may have to prop open your cabin door slightly and sit right behind the door to get a usable signal.

The antennas are all over the ship in public areas, and the closer you sit to one the better your signal will be. However, even with a 54 Mbps connection to the ship's server, the overall throughput will be more like a dial-up connection, because the weak point is the satellite link.

attachment.php?attachmentid=106854&d=1235329145

I didn't even notice the antenaes!

I found that that it was a faster connection (due to the WiFi connection being slow) using the computers in the Explorations Cafe'. I used my laptop a couple of times to post here...But I composed my message in Word while off-line, logged on, got to the site and copied and pasted, then logged out.

Checking and answering emails, etc was quicker (and thus more cost effective) on the ships computers.

Checking and answering emails, etc was quicker (and thus more cost effective) on the ships computers.
Not if you use a mail handler (Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, etc) to do them in "batch mode" with your laptop. I connect, download all waiting emails in a few seconds to a minute, and immediately disconnect. I then read off-line and compose replies, marking them "Send later", then reconnect to send everything ... and get more, if any new are waiting.

Not if you use a mail handler (Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, etc) to do them in "batch mode" with your laptop. I connect, download all waiting emails in a few seconds to a minute, and immediately disconnect. I then read off-line and compose replies, marking them "Send later", then reconnect to send everything ... and get more, if any new are waiting.

Yes, that worked as well for me with my office emails, but I can't configure my laptop to do that with my home email as it's my employers laptop and we are only permitted to access personal stuff with it through the internet.

What you suggest is certainly a great idea if you can run your personal email through outlook or the equivilant.

We could not get enough signal in our suite. But across the hall in the Neptune Lounge signal was great. Wasn't a big deal, we just enjoyed more of those great Neptune snacks while catching up on our online business! :D

Strange, if the antenna is in the hall, why didn't we have signal in our room since our suite door was directly across the hall from the main door into the Neptune?

We purchased 250 minutes for $100 and there was another 50 free minutes. It was a 14 day cruise and we had plenty minutes. We would download our mail, go off line to prepare the answers and back on to send. We use Mozilla's Thunderbird mail. Also have a mini laptop for travel.

Strange, if the antenna is in the hall, why didn't we have signal in our room since our suite door was directly across the hall from the main door into the Neptune?

I think there is a seperate antenna in the Neptune Lounge.

I've seen one right outside the N.L. door on several ships. I doubt they would put another inside ... but I've never been inside one to know for sure! :)
We purchased 250 minutes for $100 and there was another 50 free minutes.
That's very unusual. Ordinarily for signing up on the first day you get 10 bonus minutes with the 100 min block and 20 bonus min with the 250 min block.

I bet you're correct. That explains it. If there was one outside the door it would have been as close to our door.

Thanks

That's very unusual. Ordinarily for signing up on the first day you get 10 bonus minutes with the 100 min block and 20 bonus min with the 250 min block.

Since you mention it, maybe it was 30 instead of 50.

I bet you're correct. That explains it. If there was one outside the door it would have been as close to our door.
The difference could also be because of a difference in door materials - more metal in your door than in the N.L. door.

Also, if they are just in the hallways (and not inside the NL) when you are inside you would be between two antennas in the two hallways.

Since you mention it, maybe it was 30 instead of 50.
That would still be unusual. Ordinarily you get 20 min with the 250 block.

Archived