Transportation to Old Lahaina Luau?

cruisetina

We cruise in Jan on POA and thinking about the Old lahaina Luau

Can you book a transportion to the luau and back to the pier as we don't want to drive after the "open bar"?

We also considering the Paradise Cove Luau but as the pick-up is 3:45 p.m. it would take half a day and we only have 2 days after our cruise in Waikiki.

Can you recommend any other Luau in Maui or Kaui on the beach?

It should include the imu ceromony and it would be great, if it would also include the hukilau (fish catching)?

There is no return transportation to OLL except taxi which I think would be expensive.

We rented a car in 2008 and spent the day in Lahaina prior to the luau. The drive was very easy there and back with not a lot of traffic and quite east to get to. The drive also has lots of "kodak moment" stops along the way.

The day was well worth the investment of money and time and certainly worth one of us being the dd for the day.

We did the Old Lahaina on RCCL cruise. We took a cab, which I don't recall being very expensive. It was a short ride and we did a bit of shopping across the street from the luau. Years before, we had done a different luau..Old Lahaina is THE BEST!

We did the Old Lahaina on RCCL cruise. We took a cab, which I don't recall being very expensive. It was a short ride and we did a bit of shopping across the street from the luau. Years before, we had done a different luau..Old Lahaina is THE BEST!

Did your RCCL cruise stop in Lahaina?

The Old Lahaina Luau is great and you're wise to be careful with the drinks altho' they're a little on the weak side unless you ask the guy to beef 'em up a bit :)

The police in Hawaii are very tough on DUI.

There is some sort of bus service on Maui now but who knows how long it will last.

Maybe you could find some others to share a taxi ?

RCCL I believe docks in Lahaina were as POA docks on Kahului which is on the other side of the island.

The Old Lahaina Luau is great and you're wise to be careful with the drinks altho' they're a little on the weak side unless you ask the guy to beef 'em up a bit :)

The police in Hawaii are very tough on DUI.

There is some sort of bus service on Maui now but who knows how long it will last.

Maybe you could find some others to share a taxi ?

The bus service stops long before the Luau ends. The idea of sharing a cab is good idea, you may want to post on your "roll cal" and see if others will commit.

Old Lahiana Luau was fantastic! Definitely take a cab so you don't have to miss out on the truly tasty beverages.

Our cab was only $7 from the tender pier to OLL. We tipped the cab driver an additional $10 and he gave us his card so that he could pick us up immediately afterwards at a slightly different pick up place. You don't have to do this, but my father didn't want to wait and it's always good to support the local economy. :)

How much would the taxi fare be to the Hyatt (Drums of the Pacific luau) from the dock the Zaandam will be at? Can anyone give a guess? Also are the taxi's metered or do they tell you the fare before you get in?

• 2 weeks later...
Old Lahiana Luau was fantastic! Definitely take a cab so you don't have to miss out on the truly tasty beverages.

Our cab was only $7 from the tender pier to OLL. We tipped the cab driver an additional $10 and he gave us his card so that he could pick us up immediately afterwards at a slightly different pick up place. You don't have to do this, but my father didn't want to wait and it's always good to support the local economy. :)

We just returned from the 11/21 cruise, our second trip aboard POA, and this time, based on Cruise Critic reports and the Hawaii Revealed series of guide books, we booked the Old Lahaina Luau. Back in 2007, we had booked the NCL excursion to the Kuaui luau. Wow, what a difference -- the Old Lahaina Luau was amazing. First of all, the Old Lahaina Luau is in an extraordinary setting, right on the water in a beautiful open-air natural amphitheater (as opposed to the Luau Kalamaku -- is that the right name -- in a big warehouse type building). Old Lahaina has premium liquor brands versus the Kalamaku cheap brands. The staff at Old Lahaina was incredibly solicitous and helpful, and the food at Old Lahaina was delicious and varied, versus the steam table food at Kalamaku. Old Lahaina only seats 500 or so versus the 1000 at Kalamaku, and we would have to give Kalamaku the edge on the show, but overall, there is no contest.... Old Lahaina wins!

I almost forgot... there were six of us and we rented a van to make the trip. I was a little concerned about our driver when the staff greeted us with Leis and substantial Mai Tais, followed by several drinks during the evening, but by the time we had consumed all the buffet offerings plus our selection from the multiple desserts and then watched the hour-long show, there was no problem with a sober driver. By the way, I did not notice any light pouring by the bartenders, in fact we had to request a "very light" drink for my mother -- who had requested Canadian whiskey but had to settle for Wild Turkey.

Finally, I would recommend that you purchase the GPS option from a rental agency. It's an easy drive to Lahaina, but we had a few anxious moments in the return trip trying to find the ship (having gone directly from the car rental location at the airport to Lahaina.)

I think the Luau Kalamaku option was the major disappointment of our 2007 trip (with the exception of the show) and the Old Lahaina Luau was the wonderful surprise of our 2009 trip.

How much would the taxi fare be to the Hyatt (Drums of the Pacific luau) from the dock the Zaandam will be at? Can anyone give a guess? Also are the taxi's metered or do they tell you the fare before you get in?

Zaandam I believe anchors off Lahaina, at least I've seen it there before. Before we bought a place in Maui it was about $10-30.00 around the Lahaina Area. And cost 90.00 from Wailea to OGG, 110.00 from Kahana and of course more from Kapalua. Hyatt is right in the Kannapalli(sp?) area. POA is the only ship that I know of that docks in Kahului.

Archived