Adventure Ocean - Age for signing themselves out?

they can sign themselves out starting at 9 years old.

hkmom

legend hawaii here we come

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2003;4;7;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1000

thanksgiving carnival pride

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2003;11;23;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

til we see our stingrays again on the rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;4;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

The RCI vacation planner magazine says that the Navigators (ages 12-14) has "a less structured atmosphere, this program allows Navigators to come and go as they please." So it looks like the answer to your question is that they are allowed to sign themselves out at twelve. This would not have been an issue with my now adult children as they were very mature and responsible at that age. I am, however, concerned about my daughter who will be thirteen on our first cruise in November. She has mild cerebral palsy and is very naive and gullible. I worry that she could easily be convinced to wander off with a new friend even after being told not to leave Adventure Ocean until a family member comes to pick her up. I don't want to embarrass her by drawing attention to her disability (her physical impairments are often overlooked) and I don't want to make her go into the younger age group since she is mainstreamed at school and used to being with kids her own age. Does anyone know if I can specify that she not be allowed to leave on her own? Are the same counselors there each day so that I could try to discreetly explain the situation to them and ask that they keep a closer eye on her or would there be different staff there each time she participates? I'm not one of those parents who would dump my kid for the whole trip while I drink by the pool but I also don't expect that she will want to spend all her time with the adults, either! This is so hard for me because, as in every day life, I want to protect her from people who would prey on her trust and innocence while allowing her to be a "normal" kid! Any advice from anyone who has been there?

WOW Happystamper - your 13 year old sounds just like my 13 year old son. Mild CP, very naive and gullible/trusting. He is mainstreamed and gets along great with both younger and older children - but I also don't want him to have to spend his time outside his own age group.

Most people don't notice his disablities until they talk to him a little while. So I'm also concerned that although I don't want him to stand out I also don't want them to ASSUME that it is OK for him to do whatever he wants (as far as checking in and out).

I also am not one to expect him to spend all day there - he enjoys the shows and people watching - but lets face it - you go on vacation for a break and both the parents and the kids need one from each other.

As I stated on another post - Carnival has been pretty good about my requests and they keep an eye on him. My only complaint was one staff member not wanting to give me a pager one time - because they are reserved for the younger children. After speaking to someone else in authority and explaining the situation I was given a pager.

I plan to ask for a pager if they are available.

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Trying RC - Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

May 30, 2004

Cheryl,

I see that you are cruising RCI in a couple of weeks. We will be on the Explorer November 28th. Would you please report back on how the Adventure Oceans staff deals with your son's situation? It does sound like we are in the same boat if you'll pardon the pun!LOL You are welcome to email me at HappyStamper123@aol.com

TIA Cindy

The youngest a child can be to sign themselves out is 9. That being said, before your child (regardless of age) can sign themselves out, a parent has to sign the form giving their permission for the child to sign themselves out. If you don't sign the form and give your permission, your child will not be allowed to sign themselves out, even if they are 13.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the trip!

Janet

Monarch 11/01

Rhapsody 8/03

Golden Princess 12/03

plamtree.gif

Our "Win-A-Cruise Bingo" Cruise on the Mariner 8/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;8;15;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We were on the Explorer over Xmas in 2002. My son was 12 at the time and basically all the Navigators came and went as they pleased. It was a non structured program for the 12-14 group. Many times the activities were at various venues around the ship. My son did enjoy the program and partipated in many of the activities.

Thank you all so much for the great information. My 10 Year Old will be thrilled that she can come and go as she pleases.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Explorer of the Seas

Nordic Empress March 15, 2003

Good thread with good info!

My daughter will be 9 on our next cruise. I'm sort of waffling about this. The overprotective Mama Bear part of me says "NOOOOO!" And the reasonable part of me says she's mature enough. Do we Mamas ever get over this anxiety?

LOL

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than the things you DID do. So sail away from the safe harbor. Cast off the bow lines. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."--Mark Twain

Generally, the same counselors are assigned to each age group, so they get to know your kids. There may be some variation--but the core group remains.

I have not been in your situation, but my now-teenage kids have been in Adventure Ocean for almost 10 years. I have always been impressed with the youth counselors, most if not all have degrees in education. I am confident that you can discreetly explain your situation and get the oversight you are looking for.

Mary

BOS: 2004

QE2: 2003 & 1987

AOS: 2002

VOS: 2000

NE or SOA: 2003, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1986

Cunard Princess: 1989

Home Lines Atlantic: 1988

HAL Viendam: 1984

SS United States: 1968

until the Voyager of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;8;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until the Norwegian Dawn!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Starting at age 12 there is no sign in or sign out. I would speak to the counselors at the beginning of the week so that they keep an eye on your daughter. I would also speak with your daughter and make sure she understands the rules. My son is 12 but fairly immature. When we were on Navigator just a few days after his 12th b-day I made it clear to him that although he could come and go from Adventure Ocean there were certain things he absolutely could not do such as go to anyone else's cabin or invite anyone to his, run thru the hallways knocking on cabin doors, pressing all the buttons in the elevators, and of course, no alcohol, cigarettes or drugs. He was clear on the rules and we had no problems.

Archived