Bringing Rx drugs back to the US

Cooploops

I am off to PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo next week and want to pick up some meds. I know it isn't technically legal but I did see a thread about Retin-A and it seemed like people didn't have much trouble. I want to pick up some antibiotics and a cough syrup with Vicodin in it. Will I have any trouble getting it back on the ship? Do I need to pay the extra to have the pharmacy write me a prescription if I'm going to bring it back on board?

We have been in and out of Mexico for 30+ years and have never had a problem with drugs like antibiotics and Retin-A. We have met many folks on cruise ships on their way to buy drugs. We have declared drugs to USA border guards, no problem. The problem is with drugs like vicodin. It is usually not easy to get drugs that could be abused as narcotics, or diet pill uppers. If you should try, it seems limiting the quantity to minimal would be best; as we have heard and read stories of many gringos rotting in jail because the pharmacies, policia and lawyers team up for an easy bust with an extended jail stay intended to drain family north of the border $$$,$$$.$$ to slowly release the drug purchaser (you). Retin-A and Antibiotics are no problem. Potential mind altering prescription durgs are a big problem. With a big USA and Mexioan Drug War against smugling, it would seem best to stay away from anything that could be seen as unreasonable. Most Mexican Pharmacists are honest, and will let you know right away if the drug you are seeking is Taboo. It would seem best to talk to several different Mexican Pharmacists, in large clean Mexican Pharmacies in tourist areas, to get an idea of what is ok, and not so ok, before you buy.

We have been in and out of Mexico for 30+ years and have never had a problem with drugs like antibiotics and Retin-A. We have met many folks on cruise ships on their way to buy drugs. We have declared drugs to USA border guards, no problem. The problem is with drugs like vicodin. It is usually not easy to get drugs that could be abused as narcotics, or diet pill uppers. If you should try, it seems limiting the quantity to minimal would be best; as we have heard and read stories of many gringos rotting in jail because the pharmacies, policia and lawyers team up for an easy bust with an extended jail stay intended to drain family north of the border $$$,$$$.$$ to slowly release the drug purchaser (you). Retin-A and Antibiotics are no problem. Potential mind altering prescription durgs are a big problem. With a big USA and Mexioan Drug War against smugling, it would seem best to stay away from anything that could be seen as unreasonable. Most Mexican Pharmacists are honest, and will let you know right away if the drug you are seeking is Taboo. It would seem best to talk to several different Mexican Pharmacists, in large clean Mexican Pharmacies in tourist areas, to get an idea of what is ok, and not so ok, before you buy.

Wow I have never heard this urban myth before LOL don't really see laywers, policia and pharmists teaming up for this..... Also Let me change a few words around to show you how your post read.....

Most Candian Pharmacists are honest, and will let you know right away if the drug you are seeking is Taboo. It would seem best to talk to several different CANADIAN Pharmacists, in large clean CANADIAN Pharmacies in tourist areas, to get an idea of what is ok, and not so ok, before you buy.

I seem to remember you spewing untrue, urban myth type racist (to me anyhow) nonsense before you left after several posters posted you wrong, please refrain from doing so this time.

First if all yes you can get several meds over the counter in Mexico that you would need a script for up in the States or Canada, some meds that you need a script for in the States you can get over the counter here in Canada.

To the OP we bring back Retin A and Hyrdocortisona cream all the time it is much cheaper and don't need a script. This last vist my husband stepped on a Manta Ray and had to have three needles of anti venom and then got prescription for a powerful narcotic drug from the doctor, it took us three farmacias (two small then on large in southside) before we found one that had the drug so we could fill it. He had to show ID to PROVE he was the person this drug was ordered for.

I think you are going to need a Mexican doctor to write a srcipt for that cough syrup.

Also Walmart has great prices BUT beware that some drugs are cheaper then States and Canada but some are more expensive.

You cannot purchase ANY drug in Puerto Vallarta that is a narcotic without a RX from a Mexican Licensed Physician. This includes cough syrup with Vicodin.

Retin A, antibiotics, ******, etc. can be purchased without a RX and should not be a problem bringing them back in a normal supply, usually no more than 60 to 90 days worth. Again, many meds here are the same price as in the US but the real savings is not having to go to your doctor for a RX for antibiotics for a common UTI or sinus infection. Retin A and Renactyl is much less expensive but most statin drugs and allergy meds tend to be about the same. WalMart here also has the generic meds but they are about the same prices as the generic meds there- again the savings is skipping the doctors appointment.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't want to get in any trouble so I will just skip the cough syrup. I wasn't planning on abusing it or getting a huge quantity but if it is going to be a potential problem, I won't bother with it. I'll just get it here in the states through my doc. So bringing the topicals and antibiotics onto the boat won't be a problem? That is what I am really worried about. Will Carnival be looking to confiscate that kind of stuff without your name on it or is that not something they even care about?

Here is the reality on this topic

http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/news-mexico05.html

Wilson was arrested in April 2003 after Mexican police happened to stop her as she walked along a road in Ensenada following a minor traffic accident. Wilson, who had been living on a boat in Mexico with her fiance, Terry Kennedy, was carrying a three-month supply of Dilantin to control her seizures, she and Kennedy have steadfastly maintained.

Though she had a U.S. prescription, she stocked up on the Mexican version of the drug at a Tijuana pharmacy because it was much cheaper - and she would be adequately supplied for the weeks at sea aboard the couple's 45-foot trimaran.

When police stopped her, they also found three bottles of diabetes medication she had agreed to deliver to her ex-husband. She was not carrying any prescriptions.

What followed is a dizzying account of corrupt police, stolen credit cards, a Mexican lawyer who appeared to put on no defense and a so-called confession written in Spanish she says she was coerced into signing after being told it was for her release.

In a stunning development, a Mexican appeals court rejected her challenge - her last stop in that country's judicial system, effectively sealing her five-year prison term.

We Live in San Diego and travel to Mexico often. We have been shaken down by Tijuana Police on 3 separate occasions. The first time they got $60 out of us. The second and third time we were more seasoned and managed to part ways smiling.

Cooploops, you will not be able to get cough syrup with vicodin in it without a RX from a licensed Mexican physician. bringing Narcotics across borders is not something to play around with or to consider to save a buck or two unless it is absolutely something you are prescribed to use while on vacation and have only the amount you need.

Other than that, non-RX drugs are not an issue and in small amounts...BUT keep in mind, that here in Mexico, any drug that contains pseudoephedrine is illegal. So be careful not to bring too much Sudafed, Actifed or Contact or any generic that contains it.

There was a Canadian woman who recently landed at the PV airport with over 3000 Sudafed pills. She was arrested and probably won't be out of jail for a long time.

Cooploops, we're on the Splendor on 12/13. Please come back to the boards when you return and let us know how your Rx shopping goes! I'm hoping to pick up some Retin-A and some Valtrex (for my ever present cold sores) and I'm anticipating that we won't have any problems with either.

Have a good cruise!

Cooploops, you will not be able to get cough syrup with vicodin in it without a RX from a licensed Mexican physician. bringing Narcotics across borders is not something to play around with or to consider to save a buck or two unless it is absolutely something you are prescribed to use while on vacation and have only the amount you need.

Other than that, non-RX drugs are not an issue and in small amounts...BUT keep in mind, that here in Mexico, any drug that contains pseudoephedrine is illegal. So be careful not to bring too much Sudafed, Actifed or Contact or any generic that contains it.

There was a Canadian woman who recently landed at the PV airport with over 3000 Sudafed pills. She was arrested and probably won't be out of jail for a long time.

She would have been arrested here too, No one has that many allergies:rolleyes:

Like I said we take back topical creams all the time,nevr had a problem

But this last time we did see a doctor who prescibed a narcotic for an emergancy that occured down there and just to make sure we had no issues with Canadian customs.....

We had the doctors prescription and the forms he gave us for the insurance forms with the leftover meds in our carry on just in case we were asked and we weren't at all. Nor have I ever been asked about the retinal A and hydracorta cream and my checked suitcases have been searched and they did see them there.

The narcotic was called Sinergix and he was given a package with 10 tabs of it,the package clearly stated the mgs and amount of tabs, he stopped after two tabs as it just made him way too high. He was still on the antiflammatory (lertus 20 tabs at 140 mgs each)for his tonsilitiss and that took care of the pain enough provided he wasn't walking a whole lot.

Customs never once asked but we did have it ready just in case.

Ensenada and Tijuana are NOT PV, Cabo or Mazatlan....and after reading your link from a 6 year old story and suddenly remembering the case of Brenda Martin I realize there are two sides to every story. Not every American or Canadian sitting in a Mexican prison are innocent.

Enough already .....

Coopls loop enjoy your cruise :)

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the risk isn't worth it. I'll get my Retin-A and call it good at that. Saving a few bucks on cough syrup isn't worth the possible consequences. I'll let you know how it goes!

I just bought two tubes of the cheaper version of retin A called Reacel-A for 35 pesos at a farmacia in Bucerias :)

Whether or not a pharmacy in Mexico will require a prescription depends, upon the class of the pharmaceutical. Probably most medications don't require a prescription - the same kind that if purchased in the USA or Canada do. Wal Mart probably follows stricter policies than the independent pharmacies. Are the medications less expensive at a Mexican Wal Mart than at a Wal Mart in the USA - I doubt there's much difference given how low the price of generics has become in the USA (at Wal Mart, Target, etc.). There are things that are very inexpensive in comparison, though. A friend of mine needed inhalers and he was uninsured in the USA and the medications cost him about US$70 each, but I purchased them for about the peso equivalent of US$20 in Acapulco and brought home a half-dozen each trip. Technically, the US Customs agents will permit you to return to the USA with a supply for immediate "personal use," which is often defined as a 90-day supply. Be cautious if you'll be purchasing generic medications in Mexico - and confine your purchases to well-known pharmacies such as Wal Mart or other large chains - because regulation of the pharmaceuticals isn't as strong in Mexico as in the USA and Canada and there are occassional reports of people purchasing medications with no medicinal value - fakes. Have a great trip.

This is a response I recently posted to a similar/related question.

FWIW, you can get codeine cough syrup over the counter in the Bahamas,Belize and Honduras.

Codiene pills are available in Hoduras and Belize.

I have also seen Vicodin for sale in Belize. Vicodin cough syrup ("Histussin") might have been totally banned in the U.S., not sure.

Also keep in mind that what you see could be counterfiet or expired. At the very least, avoid buying things like antibiotics from stores that lack a/c as they should be exposed to heat.

The best drug deal is retin a as it can be found for 1/10th the cost in the states.I like to get the voltaren gel as it is cheap and makes my arthritic toes feel good.

Archived