How much budget

Masal

Was just wondering how much those that are about to go, or those that have just come back are taking for spends on excursions, drinks etc?

We are full board only and will be away for two weeks, it would be good to get an idea what others are budgeting for

Was just wondering how much those that are about to go, or those that have just come back are taking for spends on excursions, drinks etc?

We are full board only and will be away for two weeks, it would be good to get an idea what others are budgeting for

Hi Masal,

Our TA recommended £50 to £100 per couple per port. And we found if we did an excursion we spent less as cost of trip was on the ship's account.

Then if we did DIY we'd spend a bit more (though not more than the £100)

Last cruise was a 12 nighter and we too £500 and of that we brought £90 back.

E.G In Funchal if you're not doing a ship's tour you'd need each need 10Euro for the HOHO bus, another 10 to 15E on the cablecar and if you're doing the toboggan 25E per sled plus a tip.

On top of the Euros I've got £40 in U.S. one dollar notes to spend in Morocco

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn, did that allow for your drinks on the ship as well?

No, we've got A.I. on the Escape. But on that last one, the 12 night one, it was Royal caribbean and being U.S ship drinks were expensive there + a 15% tip on top. So we didn't drink much booze on her.

The escape will be more reasonable, from what I've seen on Thomson's boards lager is about £2.80 a pint. And other drinks comparable.

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn, did that allow for your drinks on the ship as well?

Here's a list of Thomson's drinks prices, so they should be similar. When you're A.I you tend not to take much notice. But last year I did add up all the reciepts and it came to much less than the cost of the A.I. if we'd have had to pay for it.

With thanks to the O.P. on that site.

http://www.cruises.co.uk/36-drinks_prices/379-thomson_drinks_prices.html

It's abit out of date but apparently not far out.

Berwyn

Thanks for the Berwyn thats helpful, as helps to work out a budget. Unfortuantely we didnt get AI as part of the deal and it was almost 900 to upgrade, which was an awful lot more for us to pay.

Prefer AI especially with the young ones, as not constantly thinking of the budget each time they ask for a drink.

If you are a drinker a good rule of thumb is to budget double the price of your cruise. If cruise, including airfare is $5,000.00 for example, then plan on an additional $5,000.00 for a 10-14 day cruise.:) Won't work for everyone, but it is not a bad idea IMO.:cool:

£900 :eek: At their prices there's no way we could drink that much. You could get another last minute cruise for 2 for that price.

I think it's only worth it if you can get it for under £100 like they start offering normally when the "free" A.I. offer has stopped.

Berwyn

Is it still possible to upgrade to AI during the cruise on Island Escape? I've booked my cruise (Colourful coasts on January) via a local (foreign) TA and according to them they cannot do it for me. If it is possible, how much is it for a one week trip?

We're planning to be off the ship as much as possible (to enjoy the ports) so the AI upgrade may be just too pricey.

I'm looking forward to getting onboard the ship. I just wish our cruise won't become "colourful costs". :cool:

Is it still possible to upgrade to AI during the cruise on Island Escape? I've booked my cruise (Colourful coasts on January) via a local (foreign) TA and according to them they cannot do it for me. If it is possible, how much is it for a one week trip?

We're planning to be off the ship as much as possible (to enjoy the ports) so the AI upgrade may be just too pricey.

I'm looking forward to getting onboard the ship. I just wish our cruise won't become "colourful costs". :cool:

Hi,

I have not heard of anyone upgrading on the ship. At present the All Inclusive is £189 each for a new booking. And all members of your party have to do it.

Normally many of us have it included "free" for early booking and after that they start charging.

As you say it is not really worth that ammount. I have mentioned before somewhere on here we would have spent nowhere near that on our drinks if we had had to pay for them and we were not going thirsty.

Berwyn

AI is £378.00 per party(a couple).You cannot upgrade to AI onboard

Thankfully I booked early enough to get it free :)

Archived