Star -v- Sun Princess

Tedirene

Hi,

I have just finished our first Princess Cruise on the Star (30 days) and have booked another cruise on the Sun (Cherry Blossom) in Mar 2011. I realise that most of the ships only vary in size, but can anyone tell me whether there are any major differences between the two ships. For example I have noticed there is only traditional and casual dining on the Sun, so what happens if your preference is anytime dining? Can you still eat in the restaurant? Is the cost of the soda card set by the number of days for the cruise? Is there an International Cafe on the Sun? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ted

The Sun has always been our favorite ship in the Princess fleet, not too big, not too small.

I had read where they changed the anytime dining to only traditional dining when it stayed in AU. There will be no anytime dining room onboard offered now, so if you wish to dine in the restaurant, my guess you will have to be assigned a table.

These Sun Class ships do not offer the Inernational Cafe, just no room for them.

And the soda card is charged times the number of days in your cruise.

Enjoy!

The dining rooms on Sun Princess are being run differently while "Down Under", and there is not Anytime Dining, according to the North American brochures.

I actually prefer the Sun class ships to the Grand and modified Grand class ships, which I think too large.

The balconies on the Sun class are "hull cut" rather than tiered, and are smaller than later ships in the Princess fleet.

What is the problem with ships that are too large? Is it a problem with getting on and off at ports?

I was told to find the newest ship, and the biggest ship. More to see and do.

But as I've been researching, seems that some of the new ships are so big they clog the ports with too many passengers.

What is the problem with ships that are too large? Is it a problem with getting on and off at ports?

But as I've been researching, seems that some of the new ships are so big they clog the ports with too many passengers.

Some of the larger ships we have sailed on, it would have taken at least two weeks just to see the ship, and that is without getting off in port. Plus all the extra passengers onboard, they just aren't our cup of tea. ;(

I have found the personal service and quality of service is much better on smaller ships. I often feel like just another number on a larger ship.

On smaller ships - I also seem to get to know people better (both passengers and crew) and see them often through out the cruise. On the Crown Princess recently, I happened to have 2 sets of friends onboard. I had to physically call them to arrange for lunch/dinner or to meet as we didn't see each other otherwise. I met some very fascinating people once and never saw them again on the ship.

Toto and Michael,

Thanks for the information. I have finally got hold of a Sun Princess catalogue and have noticed a number of differences. I must admit we both loved the Star and the food and service were great. We are now looking forward to experiencing a smaller ship and especially not having to worry about international airfares. Thanks again.

Ted

The real tradeoff is amenities vs more people. Unless your ship is the only one in port, there are usually enough other ships that the size of your boat isn't enough to make a difference.

But where you can notice it is in peak eating times in certain dining areas, or around the pool areas. The bigger ships have places to get out of the crowds, you just have to seek them out more than on smaller ships.

I have

Archived