Best of Gaspe and Forillon Park Excursion

buelah111

Has anyone taken this excursion in Gaspe? The description on the HAL site tells about the park, but it doesn't really give any specifics about the tour itself. I am all about the scenery and beautiful views, so I'd love to see the park. I want to know a bit more about what is included in the six hour tour before I decide it's the best option for that day, though.

If anyone can give me any specifics about the tour and your opinions (assuming you've been on it), I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks!

Stacy

We were in Gaspe this fall, but didn't do this tour. Several excursions were cancelled that day because of heavy fog and I think that was one of them. We did the walking tour which was poor and also did not fit the excursion description. I recall a couple postings from a few months earier about a whale watch excursion that wasn't as described.

Can you book excursions this early? You might want to wait a couple of months. I'd guess that shore ex heard complaints about some of the excursions and I'd hope that they will rewrite the descriptions.

We did this tour on the Maasdam repositioning cruise in Oct. It was a cold and frosty, if not snowy night the night before. The first stop was at an old fort, lots of history and exploring - great views. I think there was some motor touring around Gaspe but can't remember. On to the park - good explainations by the guide. The park was actually closed for the season but the guide was there to introduce us to the geological formations and all the wild life - lots of sea birds in residence. We then traveled up the coast for pictures and exploring of a couple of light houses, lunch at a really nice restaurant and then a stop at the summer house of the town manager (this was a factory town). Very interesting day and we thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Like Jemima, we were in Gaspe (off the Eurodam) in the fall and many tours were cancelled due to fog. Gaspe was a neat place, and was neat for us as well because it was the first time we've ever had to tender to pot on a cruise. We just walked around town, but after were kind of left wishing we'd have gone to Perce Rock, on the tour. There was not a lot to see around the town IMO.

Thanks for your replies! I'm usually a "do it on my own" type of cruiser, but a lot of these smaller Canadian ports, including Gaspe, don't appear to have enough transportation infrastructure to facilitate that (which is totally understandable and I'm not complaining or criticising). That means I'm looking at booking several ship tours and just trying to decide what the best options are. On my previous six cruises I've only done one ship tour, so this will be a bit new for me. There are quite a few tours posted for each port, and the cruise is only five months away, so I'm doubtful they'll be adding many more. It's the exact same repositioning itinerary as last year, so I imagine the tours are pretty much copies, as well. I'm thinking I'm going to book the ones I'm interested in over Christmas (when I'm with my mother, who will be cruising with me), rather than risk waiting and having one fill-up.

As far as Gaspe goes, I'm trying to figure-out if I want to do this tour, or take one to Perce. We're there late May, so I'm not sure I'm ready to take the boat tour (probably still pretty cold), but Perce on Your Own or the Perce Walking Tour both sound interesting as alternatives to the park.

I appreciate the info you gave me about the tour Aliaschief. I also have really enjoyed reading your cruise reviews from the two repositionings this year. They have definitely gotten me excited about my upcoming trip!

Any additional thoughts or tips would be welcome!

Archived