Tortuguero Canals or Braulio Carrillo National Park Rainforest Aerial Tram

aprilsp88

Hi,

My cruise doesn't offer combined tour of Tortuguero Canals and Braulio Carrillo National Park Rainforest Aerial Tram.

Which one should I choose?

Also, will I find tour booth at the dock which will offer combined tour? Is it easy and safe to book?

Thanks,

April

Hi April I'm waiting for a response to your questions I have found several tours to Veraqua ones that include Ziplines and ones that don't. We are a family of 9 and planning on doing something like this we leave this saturday for cruise and will be back on 27th of December. When do you go? Sephanie

I just got back - I ended up going to Veragua and Tortuguero canal with a private tour with Euvangie. most cruise ships don't give you both.

Veragua was a little rushed and we didn't get to see all of it, but that was because my mom is 83 yo and walking took much longer.

Depends on your time in the port, but it is doable.

I didn't go to Braulio Carrillo, but I talked to someone on the ship who did. That one is just a tram ride in the rain forest, but you may or may not see anything (he didn't).

Veragua is only a short tram ride but while walking down to the waterfall we saw one type of tropical frog and then on the way back saw another. They also have research facilities and show you how they categorize it. So in talking with the other person, he said it sounded like there was more to do at Veragua. I was also able to see the banana plantation, but I would probably recommend to just to Veragua and Tortuguero without the plantation to experience more of Veragua.

aprilsp88 yes you can get them when you dock, but there are a lot of vendors, you don't know who you may get and IMO you waste valuable time. I arranged mine prior to going via email and they were waiting for me as promised, which was nice because we docked late. the van was new looking, airconditioned and they did a great job of making sure we were pleased.

Stephanie,

You found any good tours?

I will go there on Jan 9. Have a nice trip!

April

Hi April I'm waiting for a response to your questions I have found several tours to Veraqua ones that include Ziplines and ones that don't. We are a family of 9 and planning on doing something like this we leave this saturday for cruise and will be back on 27th of December. When do you go? Sephanie

Hi,

Thank you so much for the info! They're really useful! I decide to take a combined tour, and now I don't feel so regret not able to go to Braulio Carrillo. ;)

Thanks,

April

I just got back - I ended up going to Veragua and Tortuguero canal with a private tour with Euvangie. most cruise ships don't give you both.

Veragua was a little rushed and we didn't get to see all of it, but that was because my mom is 83 yo and walking took much longer.

Depends on your time in the port, but it is doable.

I didn't go to Braulio Carrillo, but I talked to someone on the ship who did. That one is just a tram ride in the rain forest, but you may or may not see anything (he didn't).

Veragua is only a short tram ride but while walking down to the waterfall we saw one type of tropical frog and then on the way back saw another. They also have research facilities and show you how they categorize it. So in talking with the other person, he said it sounded like there was more to do at Veragua. I was also able to see the banana plantation, but I would probably recommend to just to Veragua and Tortuguero without the plantation to experience more of Veragua.

aprilsp88 yes you can get them when you dock, but there are a lot of vendors, you don't know who you may get and IMO you waste valuable time. I arranged mine prior to going via email and they were waiting for me as promised, which was nice because we docked late. the van was new looking, airconditioned and they did a great job of making sure we were pleased.

According to the website for Veragua Rainforest, it is an hour from the port. I have not been there but it looks really good and is the #1 activity for the area on Trip Advisor. You can also check Trip Advisor for more info and read the reviews. Also, you can check the Costa Rica government tourism site: http://www.govisitcostarica.com for more information.

You will have to decide which activities are more important to you.

We did a guided tour at Veragua Rain Forest and the Tortuguero Canals on the same day, using Oscar Brown tours (private company). It worked out well-Veragua is about an hour away-at least half of it is on bumpy dirt roads. The tour was interesting and focuses on flora and fauna-the aerial tram was fun too but it is not more than say 10 minutes or so each way-we did not do zip line, but others did and loved it. Then we did a one hour boat ride on the Canals-teh Canal is on the way back and pretty close to the ship. Very interesting, lots of fun and saw wildlife.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived