correlation between solo cruisers and readers  

121 members have voted

1. 1. correlation between solo cruisers and readers

• Love to read & always have a book handy
    • Reading is ok if I can't find anything else to do
    • Rarely take time to read but do on occassion
    • Haven't read a book in the last 12 months
    • Other - will post

I just checked the tracking and my kindle is currently out for delivery so it should be in hand soon :D:D! I'm actually having it delivered to my office so I don't have to wait until I get home. Maybe I should hope it isn't delivered before I get some actual work done.

Hmmm, now I need a name for it. I'll let you know when I decide. I have to meet it first. :eek:

I think e book readers are wonderful for travel...don't forget a ziplock bag to keep your new baby nice and dry! There are some waterproof covers available but most are very bulky and people say a ziplock works just as well. I used a ziplock on my last cruise as well. You can load up with all the books you could possibly want on a cruise and still be carrying less than a pound! No matter which brand anyone would chose, I know they will love having it if they love reading. OH, my Kindle's name is Myki. Not terribly original but it seems to fit and shorter than saying my kindle each time!;)

It's here! It's here! I'm taking it out of the box! Anything I should know???

Plug the charger in, turn the wireless on, if necessary, go buy your favorite book, and enjoy!:) Just be careful, those book purchases can add up quickly.;)

I think e book readers are wonderful for travel...don't forget a ziplock bag to keep your new baby nice and dry! There are some waterproof covers available but most are very bulky and people say a ziplock works just as well. I used a ziplock on my last cruise as well. You can load up with all the books you could possibly want on a cruise and still be carrying less than a pound! No matter which brand anyone would chose, I know they will love having it if they love reading. OH, my Kindle's name is Myki. Not terribly original but it seems to fit and shorter than saying my kindle each time!;)

You are so right. No matter what differences there are between the readers in how to get the books and formats and such, but when it comes to the most important part, the reading, they are all pretty much the same.

Kindle uses e-ink. It's actually great for reading when out in the sun. e-Ink is easy on the eyes (no eye strain). It's odd that someone would have a problem with it in the sun, as that is one of its best features.

Unlike a laptop monitor (or even cell phone, etc) e-readers that use e-ink are not backlit so you can see the screen when out in the sun.

How does the kindle hold up when reading it on the beach? I've heard that some people had a hard time seeing the words in the bright sun.

Took a jar of coins to Coinstar this morning for my daughter. Rather than getting her a Starbucks card, I did Amazon so she could buy her Kindle books. Next time I'll do the same for myself. We love our Kindle's.

Did you get your Kindle?? Now you will have to name it and find a suitable cover and handbag to carry it in. I use a skin to keep him dressed nicely, a neoprene slide in case for safety and have a couple of purses that he just snuggles right into! Amazon has a whole discussion forum on this subject!! Watch out tho, its addictive!:D

have fun on your cruise and telling others about that gadget you are reading on!;)

Rav4lady, you and I do NOT need to cruise together! You would have me in trouble from the first minute :rolleyes:! Ok, now I checked out the skins but only saw 2 and I'm not a huge fan of either. Are there others somewhere? I ordered a neoprene case, it should be here today. I actually downloaded the book I was already reading so I would have it on my Kindle. Now the paper book can go away. This is just sooooo cool!!!!:D

Rav4lady, you and I do NOT need to cruise together! You would have me in trouble from the first minute :rolleyes:! Ok, now I checked out the skins but only saw 2 and I'm not a huge fan of either. Are there others somewhere? I ordered a neoprene case, it should be here today. I actually downloaded the book I was already reading so I would have it on my Kindle. Now the paper book can go away. This is just sooooo cool!!!!:D

Try this: http://www.decalgirl.com/category.view/Amazon-Kindle-2-Skins

And if that isn't enough temptation, take a look at these covers:

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle2.php

Enjoy.:D:D:D

Kindle uses e-ink. It's actually great for reading when out in the sun. e-Ink is easy on the eyes (no eye strain). It's odd that someone would have a problem with it in the sun, as that is one of its best features.

Unlike a laptop monitor (or even cell phone, etc) e-readers that use e-ink are not backlit so you can see the screen when out in the sun.

I agree with you. Though I can see a problem, if the Kindle is in a ziploc or other protective cover, which is probably advisable at the beach. Those might reflect sunlight and make it difficult to read.

Try this: http://www.decalgirl.com/category.view/Amazon-Kindle-2-Skins

And if that isn't enough temptation, take a look at these covers:

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle2.php

Enjoy.:D:D:D

Ok threecats, you had to get on the "get Sherri in trouble" bandwagon didn't you? Seriously, I spent over an hour looking at that first website. Found tons of skins I want but held it to just one for now. I never even got to the second site. I think I'll head there now. :p:p

I think I'm a little embarrassed after reading the other comments in this thread. The last 7 day cruise I took I read 8 books (the shortest one was about 250 pages). I read at every meal and of course during all the waiting in line times both at the airport and on ship. Maybe I'm just a fast reader because I do go on shore excursions and love the piano bar so I don't spend ALL of my time with my nose in a book.

I just figured out that something happens at sail away. I'm usually in my cabin reading or unpacking. I didn't even know there was a big party on the Lido deck until I read about it in these forums and I've been on 4 cruises!

Do you think there's a 12 step program for me? I have both the kindle and ereader applications for my iPhone so I always have dozens of books in my pocket. I'm looking forward to not having to pack 10 pounds of books for once. Anybody else reading books on their phones?

librarysmile :)

I agree with you. Though I can see a problem, if the Kindle is in a ziploc or other protective cover, which is probably advisable at the beach. Those might reflect sunlight and make it difficult to read.

That's a possibility. I haven't tried reading thru a ziplock. Sounds like a good experiment

I think I'm a little embarrassed after reading the other comments in this thread. The last 7 day cruise I took I read 8 books (the shortest one was about 250 pages). I read at every meal and of course during all the waiting in line times both at the airport and on ship. Maybe I'm just a fast reader because I do go on shore excursions and love the piano bar so I don't spend ALL of my time with my nose in a book.

I just figured out that something happens at sail away. I'm usually in my cabin reading or unpacking. I didn't even know there was a big party on the Lido deck until I read about it in these forums and I've been on 4 cruises!

Do you think there's a 12 step program for me? I have both the kindle and ereader applications for my iPhone so I always have dozens of books in my pocket. I'm looking forward to not having to pack 10 pounds of books for once. Anybody else reading books on their phones?

If you find a 12 step program, let us know. I don't think I'll be the only one that should be joining you.:)

I, too, have the Kindle app on my iphone and also my computer. The iphone app is great, when I'm somewhere without a purse, i.e. without my Kindle. It is surprisingly easy to read, considering the size of the screen, but I can't do it for too long, because the glare of the iphone screen hurts my eyes after a while.

This will be my first solo cruise so I imagine I will have my nose in a book (or Kindle as the case may be now) for most of the cruise. Hey, I can read and walk at the same time! I'll be topside at sailaway but my kindle will be with me. I've just started downloading books. I'll have plenty of time this weekend to get more. As far as reading a book on my phone, that's too little for these 50 year old eyes. :p

Ok threecats, you had to get on the "get Sherri in trouble" bandwagon didn't you? Seriously, I spent over an hour looking at that first website. Found tons of skins I want but held it to just one for now. I never even got to the second site. I think I'll head there now. :p:p

You're welcome.:) It was someone on these boards, that got me hooked on these two sites, although I don't remember who.

nseagirl,

thats the only downside to the skins, once you take it off its done for. They stretch out and just don't go back on. I did partially remove one and reapply, but had to crease the material to fit back in place as it was too stretched out. But they are fairly inexspensive and I know my Myki deserves a new one every once in a while!:eek::eek:

Readers, as long as they have a book to read, can do that! Yay us!! :D:D

Yay us! I love it! :D

I love to read and I love my Sony Reader, one of the best purchases I've ever made. Her name's Tilly, btw. I also check ebooks out from the library w/o having to worry about due dates.

I look forward to cruising with her. No more lugging heavy books around.

Kindle, Nook, Sony... whichever you choose, this is the way to go.

WooHoo! I just got the skin for my kindle....flip flops!! :D

It's soooo cool! My daughter is pregnant and just sent me an e-mail about the book that she and her husband are supposed to read for their birthing class. She suggested that I get it too since I will be there (hopefully). I went right on Amazon and downloaded it right then! How cool is that???!!:D:D

:):)

I'm curious as to the correlation between solo travelers and readers. I think that one reason that I can travel solo is because I love to read and I don't need anyone with me to do that.

What do you think?

:):)

I am an avid reader and take quite a few with me I tend to read a book either every day if its good and I can't put it down or every two days at the end of the cruise I leave them in the library for others to read and enjoy

Mary

Archived