correlation between solo cruisers and readers  

121 members have voted

1. 1. correlation between solo cruisers and readers

• Love to read & always have a book handy
    • Reading is ok if I can't find anything else to do
    • Rarely take time to read but do on occassion
    • Haven't read a book in the last 12 months
    • Other - will post

Hi, I checked other because my reading habits vary.

I seem to go in binges.....As I child I never read:rolleyes:...I know, I know,

that is a bad thing.

When I started cruising (almost 7 years ago) I had already started

reading again and always took paperbacks with me:D

Now I am still cruising but am in the "not reading mode" right now.:eek:

I have a great book a started by Fay Kellerman but for some reason

I put it down and haven't finished it again.....

So, I do bring books with me on my cruises but I don't always read

them.

I love to read too; always have. I think it led me to my career choice (editor)!

I read for enjoyment but also love to read about places I'm planning to visit and their history, culture, etc. Then after I've visited, I find myself reading even more books, especially ones that are set in that country/city/area, because I can picture the action so much better after having been there.

Does anyone think Kindle prices will drop anytime soon? Would love to get one for my birthday (February)....

I come from a family of non to occasional readers and haven't had my nose out of books since I got my first picture book as a toddler.:) I could do without a lot of things in my life, but books are not one of them. If I couldn't afford to buy them, I'd be the local library's best customer.:D

I ordered a Kindle when it first came out, and received it 2 days later, just in time for my Thanksgiving trip. It has been my constant companion ever since and has reduced my cruise luggage considerably. Instead of packing 7-10 books (per week) in my suitcase, I just need to take the Kindle in my carry-on.;)

I come from a family of non to occasional readers and haven't had my nose out of books since I got my first picture book as a toddler.:) I could do without a lot of things in my life, but books are not one of them. If I couldn't afford to buy them, I'd be the local library's best customer.:D

I ordered a Kindle when it first came out, and received it 2 days later, just in time for my Thanksgiving trip. It has been my constant companion ever since and has reduced my cruise luggage considerably. Instead of packing 7-10 books (per week) in my suitcase, I just need to take the Kindle in my carry-on.;)

I surely wish I had asked for a Kindle or the Barnes & Noble equal for Christmas. I don't want to spend that much money myself right before my cruise so I guess it will be actual books for me. :(! I'll have my first balcony this trip and am soooo looking forward to just sitting out there with my book!!

I surely wish I had asked for a Kindle or the Barnes & Noble equal for Christmas. I don't want to spend that much money myself right before my cruise so I guess it will be actual books for me. :(! I'll have my first balcony this trip and am soooo looking forward to just sitting out there with my book!!

Hmmm, cruise, balcony, books ... sounds like heaven on earth to me.:)

How heavy is the kindle compared to a large paperback?

I'm not exactly sure what the weight is of a large paperback, but the Kindle is extremely easy to carry around. And because it's so slim (width is 0.4 inches), it easily slides into my purse. The dimensions are 8" x 5" x 0.4". It weighs 10 oz.

The Nook is 7.7" x 4.9" x 0.5" and weighs 11 oz.

Definitely a reader! (Can you tell by my name?) I haven't yet done any solo cruises, but I might this spring/summer if things work out. I should admit that I don't read as much as I'd like to when I'm on a cruise, though. There's so much to do already! :)

Also wondering if anyone else here is on the shelfari website? www.shelfari.com. I'm LibraryCin over there, too!

I used to be an avid reader at home and on holiday (even when travelling with someone) but now rarely find time. I'm now an avid Sudoku nut. I found that when I took a book on a solo cruise, I'd get so in to it that i would not want to piut it down and ended up being late for dinner or missing out on other things. Now with my puzzles, they rarley take me longer than 15 minutes, so I'm able to amuse myself when I want to without shutting everyone and everything else out!

I used to be an avid reader at home and on holiday (even when travelling with someone) but now rarely find time. I'm now an avid Sudoku nut. I found that when I took a book on a solo cruise, I'd get so in to it that i would not want to piut it down and ended up being late for dinner or missing out on other things. Now with my puzzles, they rarley take me longer than 15 minutes, so I'm able to amuse myself when I want to without shutting everyone and everything else out!

It's the same concept though, don't you think? The point being that you can entertain yourself, by yourself. Reading a good book wouldn't make me late for dinner if I was traveling solo. I'd be taking my book with me to read anyway as I will be dining alone.

I read tons for work so there is rarely time for substantial reading when I am not on holiday, so the joy of travelling solo, besides the sights, is the time to read.

I try to read both fiction and non-fiction of the country(ies) I am going to and find that it illuminates both what I see on the trip and having been on the trip illuminates the books afterwards.

I bought a Kindle this December as the Global version only came out this October, in hopes of lowering the weight of my baggage. It is particularly good for reading very large haevy books which it would otherwise be a struggle to carry or even hold.

I find it very easy to read, but I am a bit frustrated at the absence of certain books from the Kindle Store. (No Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which I would have thought more than obvious! and only one book by William Dalrymple who writes some of the best books about India and about the Middle East) so I will still need to bring some paperbacks with me.

However, the complete Dickens, Jane Austin, Mark Twain and Shakespeare for about £23-£4 each was fanatstic and certainly should prevent the panic of nothing to read.

I also really like to have books on CD with an old discman as a way of reading comfortably whilst lying in the sun. I have yet to try an MP3 player for books, but it sounds like a good idea.

It's the same concept though, don't you think? The point being that you can entertain yourself, by yourself. Reading a good book wouldn't make me late for dinner if I was traveling solo. I'd be taking my book with me to read anyway as I will be dining alone.

Yes I totally agree. I've never needed to "be entertained" in fact i hate people trying to. I'm always able to amuse myself regardless of where I am.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody read "Cruise Confidential"? I just bought it and started it last night. So far, so good.

I read it about 3 months ago. It has very interesting background info on cruising, but the guy is so full of himself, that I was occasionally tempted to stop reading.:rolleyes:

Anybody read "Cruise Confidential"? I just bought it and started it last night. So far, so good.

It's on the tbr (to be read). One day I'll get to it! :)

I read "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" a year or two ago, and found that very interesting...

Ever since I small, reading have been a major part of my life!!

Books are one of the few things that I refuse to cut back on. I purchased and read on an average three to four books a week. I always have a book in my purse, in my car, bedside,etc.

I read everything!!

It takes me a few days prior to my cruise to decide what books to take on a cruise.

Oh I would have to challenge anyone that says they read the most books! I can't stand to go anywhere in my car without a book on cd to listen to. Just finished THE SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE...an excellent book on cd. Then read THE HELP on my Kindle. I love love love my Kindle. I looked at the Nook but the Kindle way outdoes it. The web access, the whispernet ability to download and Amazon's customer service are aces in my book! I love that I can sit at the Drs office and if I find myself without something to read (or more likely just something I am in the mood to read as I have over 2oo books loaded), I can shop the Kindle store and download a book instantly. I have gotten so many free books that have kindled my interest in other genres, such as SciFi which I hadn't really delved into much. Most all books are available on Kindle that I want and even travel books. I am hooked! And I loan my books to my dtr by having her on my acct...I can have up to 6 devices on my acct and loan any book as many times as I want and read them at the same time, unlike the Nook.

Sorry, I am an avid Kindle fan and hate to see misleading info about them printed. But whatever type of e-reader someone would have, it definetly saves space and weight in your luggage.:)

Oh I would have to challenge anyone that says they read the most books! I can't stand to go anywhere in my car without a book on cd to listen to. Just finished THE SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE...an excellent book on cd. Then read THE HELP on my Kindle. I love love love my Kindle. I looked at the Nook but the Kindle way outdoes it. The web access, the whispernet ability to download and Amazon's customer service are aces in my book! I love that I can sit at the Drs office and if I find myself without something to read (or more likely just something I am in the mood to read as I have over 2oo books loaded), I can shop the Kindle store and download a book instantly. I have gotten so many free books that have kindled my interest in other genres, such as SciFi which I hadn't really delved into much. Most all books are available on Kindle that I want and even travel books. I am hooked! And I loan my books to my dtr by having her on my acct...I can have up to 6 devices on my acct and loan any book as many times as I want and read them at the same time, unlike the Nook.

Sorry, I am an avid Kindle fan and hate to see misleading info about them printed. But whatever type of e-reader someone would have, it definetly saves space and weight in your luggage.:)

Oh man...don't do this to me!! I REALLY want to go out and buy a Kindle right NOW!!! You're going to get me in trouble, I can just tell!!! :eek::eek:

I have a Sony Reader and it is wonderful on cruises. I had just bought it when the first Twilght book had come out and I was on the Lido deck watching everyone trying to get comfortable with there big copies of Twilight. I seen at least 30-40 people reading their copies. They spent more time getting comfortable because of the bulk than reading. With the E-reader I could read with one hand and drink my drink.

As for being solo, reading gets the imagination going and now that I'm older I don't want to miss out on what I have read and will go by myself if necessry. Life is to short to miss out. Going solo gives me the chance to do the things I want and not worry about what the other person wants. :rolleyes:

Did you get your Kindle?? Now you will have to name it and find a suitable cover and handbag to carry it in. I use a skin to keep him dressed nicely, a neoprene slide in case for safety and have a couple of purses that he just snuggles right into! Amazon has a whole discussion forum on this subject!! Watch out tho, its addictive!:D

have fun on your cruise and telling others about that gadget you are reading on!;)

As I posted previously, I love my Kindle. I just ordered my second one -- but, not for me. A friend of mine did a BIG favor for me and as a special thank you, I bought her a Kindle. She travels a lot for work so I think she will really enjoy it.

And besides, she gave me two books for Christmas. That's right - books. I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to return the books to Amazon and download the books.

I know she's just going to love her Kindle. :)

Archived