correlation between solo cruisers and readers  

121 members have voted

1. 1. correlation between solo cruisers and readers

• Love to read & always have a book handy
    • Reading is ok if I can't find anything else to do
    • Rarely take time to read but do on occassion
    • Haven't read a book in the last 12 months
    • Other - will post

I like to read but not all the time like some other people I know (I probably read an average of 10 books a year, I think). I always bring a book or two with me but I actually don't read that much on the cruise (but I do read on the bus or plane to get there).

I always think I will lounge in the sun, reading, but in the end there are too many activities that keep me occupied and when I slow down I want a nap :)

Read three books on my 12 day cruise last month. Nice to have a Kindle so I don't have to lug those heavy books all over the place.

I've been thinking about a Kindle but I'm not sure I can do without holding the actual book in my hand. It would be easier maybe...

I love to read -- anything -- I will read anything. I bought my Kindle in Feb as a kinda spur of the moment purchase. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with it. I carry it in my purse and I love that I have so many books available to me when I can squeeze in some time to read. I don't often get a chance during the day but I always read before bed.

I'm a big fan of Catherine the Great and I've been reading some books about her (and rereading some that I've purchased as "books"). It's also spurred me on to read more Russian history. So, now I'm looking into the Scandinavian/St. Petersburg cruises for summer 2010.

I wish there were more hours in a day. I'd love to have more time to read.

I'm curious as to the correlation between solo travelers and readers. I think that one reason that I can travel solo is because I love to read and I don't need anyone with me to do that.

I absolutely love to read - it gives me a sense of new places, new adventures, new cultures - and books take me away from my everyday life to new "experiences."

That being said, when I'm traveling, I don't read very much because I am in the midst of new experiences. I have so many opportunities available to me to explore that I am out trying new things instead of reading about new things :rolleyes:

I always bring a book to read during flights/trains, but usually I am so worn out from long days of traveling that I end up with my eyes closed for a good portion of my reading time ;) I am also planning on packing a book or two for my sea days on my Caribbean cruise coming up, but the activities onboard (if they are interesting to me) will take priority over a book that can easily wait until I am home.

I've been thinking about a Kindle but I'm not sure I can do without holding the actual book in my hand. It would be easier maybe...

I thought that too (at first), but I was quickly won over when I borrowed a friend's Kindle. Now I want my own, but the price is still out of my reach.

I love to read -- anything -- I will read anything. I bought my Kindle in Feb as a kinda spur of the moment purchase. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with it. I carry it in my purse and I love that I have so many books available to me when I can squeeze in some time to read. I don't often get a chance during the day but I always read before bed.

I'm a big fan of Catherine the Great and I've been reading some books about her (and rereading some that I've purchased as "books"). It's also spurred me on to read more Russian history. So, now I'm looking into the Scandinavian/St. Petersburg cruises for summer 2010.

I wish there were more hours in a day. I'd love to have more time to read.

Also love to read!!! And always take 4-5 book with me on a cruise - and read all of them!:)

TessM, we took Scandinavian/St. Petersburg cruise this summer - and it was the best cruise/vacation ever! You should absolutely go there! I am Russian but I've been living in the USA for almost 20 years. My daughter was born in Russia but we moved to the US when she was a kid. She was so impressed - I can't even tell you! She loved every minute of our staying in St.Petersburg! But... You should be prepared that it will be a very expensive cruise! :)

lol

yes, it looks to be a very expensive cruise.

(My grandmother moved to the US in 1911 when she was 5yo. She was born in Russia in a small German settlement on the Volga.)

I'm hoping I can swing the trip - in an obstructed view cabin. Plan to spend a few nights in Copenhagen prior to the cruise. Hotels there look to be somewhat realistically priced.

All-in-all, it's a part of the world that I haven't seen so that makes it attractive to me. I have a feeling after seeing St. Petersburg, I'll probably want to go back to Russia and spend some time.

TessM, we took Scandinavian/St. Petersburg cruise this summer - and it was the best cruise/vacation ever! You should absolutely go there! I am Russian but I've been living in the USA for almost 20 years. My daughter was born in Russia but we moved to the US when she was a kid. She was so impressed - I can't even tell you! She loved every minute of our staying in St.Petersburg! But... You should be prepared that it will be a very expensive cruise! :)

I absolutely LOVE my Kindle! I keep it in my purse so it's always with me...especially handy when waiting at the doctor's office.

I've got several books downloaded to read on our upcoming January cruise.

Jo-Ann

How heavy is the kindle compared to a large paperback?

I should win a prize for the most books checked out of the library! I read three or four books a week plus listen to at least two in the car. On my last cruise I found three books in the cabin and read two of them which I left in the cabin. The third was really good and I was two thirds of the way through it so I kept it and plan to take it on my next cruise and leave it the cabin.

You learn so much about the English language when you read. I read one author who used the word defenestration in every one of his books. Had to look that one up! Also, I learned forte is really pronounced fort. Riffle is like ruffle with an i. Listening to audio books you hear things that cause you to check it out to verify pronunciation or meaning.

Today I bought the two books I plan to take on my first cruise. Now I just need to put them someplace I won't be tempted to read them before I go, but can still find them when it's time to pack. :)

Good luck with that! I'll have to go book shopping the day before I fly out or I won't have anything left for the ship. :o

I do have to say that as much as I LOVE to read, I don't read as much on a cruise as I do at home. The important thing is that, as long as I have a good book, I'll never be bored or lonely! That's why I'm not worried about cruising solo! I can't wait!!!!:D

The basic Kindle is about the same weight as a hard cover book, but of course, not nearly as bulky. The new Nook, by Barnes and Noble is even better, imho. It's more lightweight, has easier to read fonts and it has a color navigator where you can see the covers of all the books you downloaded. It's also internet capable. The Nook is sleeker than the Kindle and fits better in a small handbag. You can download hundreds of books in an ebook, and it's less than purchasing a hardcover book. For a newly published book, most stores charge $25 and up, but for that same book, in an ebook format, it's usually $9.99. And, with the Nook, you can let others borrow books you downloaded and you can borrow books from others. You cannot do that with Kindle. So if my sister reads a book she thinks I might like, she can send that book to my Nook and I can borrow it for 30 days.

I am an avid reader due to my parents. They always read to us, took us to the library, bookstores, etc. When we went to England, Dad and I would go to bookstores while mom did something else. Now, I take a book everywhere....to the doctor's, dentist, car repair, etc. I can't imagine not having a book. Have three books ready to go to Mexico on Sat.

I am an avid reader due to my parents. They always read to us, took us to the library, bookstores, etc. When we went to England, Dad and I would go to bookstores while mom did something else. Now, I take a book everywhere....to the doctor's, dentist, car repair, etc. I can't imagine not having a book. Have three books ready to go to Mexico on Sat.

My parents always read to us also. I remember laying beside my mother in her bed while she was reading and I'd scan the pages for words I recognized, and point them out. I must have driven her crazy but she never let on if I did.

Hope you have an awesome time on your cruise!

I love to read, but find when I am on a cruise I struggle to get through the books, there is always so much to do and so many new people to talk to. Hmm tough life, enjoy new places, new faces, or read my book. Cruising gives you the options to do a little of each.

Gwendy

I take a book to read on the plane to my cruise destination then hit the ship library first thing and check out 2 or 3 books depending on how long the cruise is. I have only cruised solo once (I loved it) but usually go with my sister who is also a reader. We stake out our deck chairs and spend sea days reading in the sun or shade. When we finish our "flight" book we take it to the paperback exchange in the library and get another one for the flight home. My dad and his mother were the readers in our family and I remember him taking me to the library when I was 5 and checking out books for me. I remember being upset because I was too young to have my own library card!

This poll certainly seems to varify my thoughts as to readers being able to cruise/travel solo. It's not so much that we readers will be reading constantly, but that we CAN read to keep us occupied and happy. The people that "put me down" for traveling solo seem to be the ones that cannot occupy themselves. Readers, as long as they have a book to read, can do that! Yay us!! :D:D

I have read a lot all my life. I grew up in a family of big readers. I even went on to major in English Lit in college. I got off my second solo cruise this morning and spent a good part of it reading. It was the same with my first solo cruise in August. I really looked forward to finding great places on the ship or on a beach to just lay back and get into my book. I even spent a lot of time in my cabin reading.

Archived