New to snorkeling question

katboferguson

My husband and I will be cruising with Princess in a couple of weeks. Although I don't swim well I would like to try snorkeling. We will be stopping in Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. I can see from reading these posts that alot of you take your own gear. While I am not opposed to possibly purchasing something I need ahead of time, I realize that I may not snorkel again for some time and with airline restrictions on luggage weight I am trying to pack light.

My question is will it be easy to rent whatever we need to snorkel? And given I can't really swim well will I be able to rent float devices, vests, etc. Should I bring a noodle with me? etc.

When we went to Grand Cayman last year we snorkeled. When you get off the pier, turn right. About a quarter mile is a little blue store, can't remember the name, but you can rent gear there for the whole day. They have lockers and showers, too. It was wayyy cheaper than doing an excursion. You jump in the water right there. They don't really have a beach, it's pretty rocky but they have a dock and ladder to get in. There's a nice coral reef right there too. We had a lot of fun.

You don't need to take a noodle. They have vests or flotation belts for you to wear but you probably don't need them. Salt water is very bouyant. You float much better in it even if you don't have much body fat.

Make sure to take some water to rinse out your mouth and to stay hydrated. We always take some breath mints too, it's the best way to get rid of the salt in your mouth.

Have a great time!

I always snorkel with a vest. I'm a good swimmer, but I just feel more comfortable with a vest on. As a bit of a nervous swimmer, I would recommend wearing a vest or floatation belt. You can rent all your equipment at any good snorkel/dive shop. Eden Rock is the place the previous poster is talking about. If you Google it, you'll find photos and lots more info.

If you only bring one thing, I would bring my own snorkel. I just don't like the thought of that snorkel having been in someone else's mouth, no matter how much it is disinfected or cleaned. A good fitting mask is essential too.

Snorkeling is a wonderful way to spend time and GC is a great place to enjoy it! Have fun! :)

I always wear a snorkel vest. I consider myself a decent swimmer with good water skills(certified Rescue Diver and Dive Master).The ocean is beautiful but it can be very unforgiving.Please wear a vest for your safety.

Eden Rock is a pretty place with good snoreling and diving.Sunset House is also very good.

Not to scare you but you might not want to snorkel in Cozumel. There is a current that runs along the island. When we were scuba diving there, we would put or gear in a cab, drive a mile or so away from our resort, then let the current carry us back.

Don't waste your money buying equiptment you will never use again. Every place I have been there have been rental places. Ususally most scuba shops will rent mask,snorkle and fins.

In Rotan the cruise has trip to Tabyana beach with a nice little beach and a resturant. Just a FYI the returning buses don't start until around 2-3 pm. And they rent equiptment here.

In GC I hear stringray city is cool to see. It was closed due to weather last time I was there, hope to see it this time.

In Roatan, you can snorkel right off of the beach. WBB (West Bay Beach)is one of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see and you can walk into the water and within 20-30 feet you're over the reef in relatively shallow water. It's ideal for anyone who may not be comfortable snorkeling in deeper water off of a boat. The water isn't very deep and you're very close to shore in the event you tire.

The reef is beautiful with a wide variety of fish. We stayed on WBB for 8 days in Sept and snorkeled the reef at least twice a day and never got bored.....

Archived