Self-Guided Mendenhall Lake Paddle

SJpaul

Are you referring to kayaking?? I have seen them there. :) If not a ship tour, verify where you pick this up, as I believe it is the west side of the lake, which requires a taxi to get there, could be in the $60++ round trip range, or a car rental would work out extremely well with a long port day. It's a long paddle to the glacier viewing, and you would need to stay "north" since the river is on the south end- don't want to end up down there. :) There will be strick instruction on where you can go, near the glacier. But overall, Mendenhall is not real active, and having a water view is superb. :) Sounds like a very good choice to consider.

It is a Kayaking Trip- They pick you up at the cruise dock, drive you to their shop, give you some safety info and fit you with gear, then drop you off at the lake for 3 hours, and come back to get you. The entire trip is 4.5 to 5 hours. We love kayaking, and it looks like a great way to get a little closer to the galcier ( do not think my youngest could do the galcier trek- maybe next time we go!!)

It does sound great, we are going to Kayak only once on our trip, and trying to decide where. This looks different. We are taking several other (boat/wildlife cruises Whale watchin, Kenai Fjords and the Denali SHuttle to Wonder Lake), so if we "only" see birds, that is Ok with us. Bing out there with the floating ice sounds so cool....

Archived