Malaria- Belize & Roatan

cbressler76

Should I get meds for my boys (4 and 7 yrs old)? Have you all had any problems with this? I read a post earlier about someone asking.....I never thought about it, so now i am worried.... ....someone said that their dr told them to not let her child get off the ship in Belize!:eek:

I will start by saying that I AM NO DOCTOR! :D AND...CONSULT YOUR PED.

So, now that I got the disclaimer out of the way ;) I can tell you what I did with my kids.

No, we didn't get the malaria meds for them. Here's why. Those meds have some serious side effects. And before we left, I tried to read up on the areas and see if Malaria was a real risk for day cruisers. Malaria mosquitos bite from dusk to dawn. And since you probably won't be hopping around Belize at night - you won't be around to get bit.

I did wear Deet while I was there though, just in case. But no, I didn't get the Malaria meds.

So, now that I got the disclaimer out of the way ;) I can tell you what I did with my kids.

No, we didn't get the malaria meds for them. Here's why. Those meds have some serious side effects. And before we left, I tried to read up on the areas and see if Malaria was a real risk for day cruisers. Malaria mosquitos bite from dusk to dawn. And since you probably won't be hopping around Belize at night - you won't be around to get bit.

I did wear Deet while I was there though, just in case. But no, I didn't get the Malaria meds.

Thank you!! (I probably shouldn't ask this question because this isn't a medical board...lol....but I just wanted to see if others opinions where what I was thinking...) I live in Florida and mosquitos are always a dusk/dawn thing here.....

For what it's worth both DD (who turned 5 yesterday) and I went for H1N1 shots today. I asked both my doc and her pediatrician if we need anything else for our stops in Belize and Mexico. I was told we were fine as long as her vaccines are up to date. I bought some combo sunblock/insect repellent with deet that I plan to slather on, especially while exploring the ruins.

(I probably shouldn't ask this question because this isn't a medical board...lol....but I just wanted to see if others opinions where what I was thinking...)

Oh I totally understand why you asked the question. :D I just needed a disclaimer because I know how these boards are....the second I post a response to a medical or legal question is the second that someone posts you are no doctor/lawyer!

LOL! ;)

Have a great cruise!!!!! :D

I bought some combo sunblock/insect repellent with deet that I plan to slather on, especially while exploring the ruins.

Just one caution about using the sunblock/Deet lotions. That was one thing that's not recommended because you have to reapply sunblock more often than you need to reapply Deet. So its better to buy the individual products. :)

Just one caution about using the sunblock/Deet lotions. That was one thing that's not recommended because you have to reapply sunblock more often than you need to reapply Deet. So its better to buy the individual products. :)

Oh we'll be using 50+ sunblock too. But this way we add extra sunblock whenever we add the bug repellent. Figure it's a "belt and suspenders" approach :)

Thanks

As usual Cruisinmama is exactly right. No need to worry if you are only there during the day. That said even if you are there at night bug repellent is much more important than anti-malaria drugs.

I am a pediatric nurse practitioner but still ask your doctor. I am traveling to Belize with my kids next week on a cruise so I just checked the CDC website. It seems there is a malaria risk in all of Belize except Belize City where the cruise docks. I would still wear insect repellant and just watch for flulike symptoms that appear 7 days after travel and for up to one year. Just make sure if your kids do get a fever, body aches, nausea that you mention to your dr you've traveled where malaria is a possibility. The risk will be small especially since its daytime and you are wearing insect repellent. The advisory is more meant for people who are sleeping there. Also there are tons of passengers who travel to Belize on cruiselines daily and I have yet to hear of any catching Malaria on these boards. I am sure the ships infirmary has meds onboard but it takes 7 days to show up so you will most likely be home by then.

Julie

Archived