Pacific Sun arriving Christmas Island

Kiwi Kruzer

After a few days at sea Pacific Sun has arrived at Christmas Island.

Lots on deck , but where are all the Santa Hats.

I think this is the first time a cruise ship has called there, on a regular run, and I think they want to include it in future cruises.

It will great to hear back from the cruisers and see what they think of it.

Trust there is more to it, than just the detention centre:eek:

1christmasisland.jpg

Thanks mate..a couple of our neighbours Cathy and Jeff are on board, their first cruise and Jeff gets sea sick in the bath tub ! LOL. I will try and get a review from him ! I keep checking the bridgecam, but no bad seas SO FAR ! LOL

My daughter was flown by helicopter to the hospital on Christmas Island.The ship she was serving on at the time hit a freak wave and she fell down the hatch breaking both her wrists.She had to wait for a flight back to Perth as the flights were booked up for the week. Although she wasn't fully able to appreciate everything Christmas Island had to offer,such as swimming my daughter said the her time there wasn't too bad.

I never realised it was so close to Indonesia. Anna

It is very close.

Just a funny aside re Christmas Island.

On one cruise a trivia question was...

What Ocean is Christmas Island in?

People immediately asked, which Christmas Island, and then the host realised she had a problem on her hands.

Turns out there are several Islands around the world called Christmas, so she she had to cancel that question.

It caused quite a fury, as anyone who has played trivia will know , and some folk got quite heated.

Kinka..Yes, the cruise stops at Broome on way back to Freo. Ship is now on way to Semerang, stops at Lombok, Bali, Komodo Island (the big lizard place?) Broome, Geraldton, Freo on 4 January, looks a good itinerary. I am checking that bridgecam, envy ! I heard the tucker on Pacific Sun is very good, they recently got a great chef from QM2 on board.

Kiwi, on Regal Princess, LA to Sydney in 2007 we stopped at Christmas Island in the Pacific, nothing there.

I never realised it was so close to Indonesia.

Actually Australia has no real legal or moral claim to the island - especially moral.

Left over from colonial days.

The local people are all Malay/Indon stock, and despite English being the official language, the language they speak is Bahasa Indonesia [Malay].

In reality it should belong to Indonesia. :confused:

Kiwi, on Regal Princess, LA to Sydney in 2007 we stopped at Christmas Island in the Pacific, nothing there.

Thats the one between Hawaii and Tahiti.

We stopped there on Crown Princess,in 2001, but could not go ashore as a storm had blown the landing away.

You are right in that there is nothing there.

I think the highest point on the Island is only about 2 metres above sea level.

All we could see from the ship were a few coconut trees.

That was quite a cruise.

We could not land at Lahaina, because it too rough, so went back and had an overnight in Honolulu.

We could not enter Nawiliwili as a big surf was running, so did scenic cruising around the Island.Then missed out on Christmas Island.

However the Islands of Tahiti more than made up for it.

Some passengers were getting quite angry ,

but thats what happens when you go to sea.

I think these cruises are a "Test run" and Pacific Sun will take over from Sun princess Freo-Asia cruises and do the Indonesian cruises on a regular basis but mid year!

I think if the price is right many cruisers would fly West for these cruises just for a change.

Cant believe they started theses cruises in the "Wet" season? Mid year would be perfect.

I have experienced Bali Jan Feb and March and it can get very wet with humidity very high!

Had some fantastic weather over xmas though.

Haven't been to Broome(way too expensive!) but have been told that in Feb it will be too hot to do anything! so am reluctant to book any tours.

The shorter cruise to Broome is very attractive as you would struggle to get a long weekend in Broome from Perth for the price of the entire cruise, and possibly not filling that quick as people know it will be too hot this time of year?

The potential for regular cruises out of Freo to Indonesia is there for sure!

I know quite a few people and family members who booked this xmas cruise as soon as it was announced but pulled out because it was too expensive for an average family in the end!

$12,000 odd dollars for my sister+3 and $10,000 odd for my brother! sadly lost their deposits also:(

I also considered it because family had booked but at over $7000 for an outside twin:eek: wasnt worth it on the pacific Sun!

The shorter 12 night Feb cruise to Bali at $4200 for both of us outside midship Empress was booked without a thought as the price was right!

I dont understand why P&O made these Pacific Sun cruises more expensive than The pacific Dawn or Jewel as well as the Sun Princess cruises?

Shorter cheaper cruises out of Freo I would book every year,Pacific Sun or not so there would be many others the same.

Den

Actually Australia has no real legal or moral claim to the island - especially moral.

Left over from colonial days.

The local people are all Malay/Indon stock, and despite English being the official language, the language they speak is Bahasa Indonesia [Malay].

In reality it should belong to Indonesia. :confused:

Does that mean the refugee que jumpers should not get to come Australia on "Moral" grounds and in reality stay in Indonesia?

Dont care myself as the world should be free for everyone! realistically not possible but Morally right!

Den

It is very close.

Just a funny aside re Christmas Island.

On one cruise a trivia question was...

What Ocean is Christmas Island in?

People immediately asked, which Christmas Island, and then the host realised she had a problem on her hands.

Turns out there are several Islands around the world called Christmas, so she she had to cancel that question.

It caused quite a fury, as anyone who has played trivia will know , and some folk got quite heated.

We are on the next Pacific Sun cruise departing on 4 Jan. We received the book with the information about the shore tours and were looking at the geography of Christmas Island, but we were surprised that the map in the tour book didn't look anything like the map in our atlas. I suspect it is the low lying Christmas Island near Tahiti because it shows a lagoon and lots of small lakes. But it's funny because they have written places like "Flying Fish Cove" and other locations even though it is not the right island! I'll try to upload a graphic of it as an attachment.

CI2.jpg.544c91ca444f52597bd4618106caee9a.jpg

You are quite right..

I think they have got the wrong Christmas Island.

Probably someone in the shore tour office pulled the map out of a google search and thought that must be it.

Sure hope the Captain knows which Christmas Island he is heading to:eek:

You are quite right..

I think they have got the wrong Christmas Island.

Probably someone in the shore tour office pulled the map out of a google search and thought that must be it.

Sure hope the Captain knows which Christmas Island he is heading to:eek:

Thats too funny Kiwi! I am sure the navigator knows where he is, red faces all round!

Archived