Which pool(s) are adults only?

cruisewiththekids

Doncha just love these parents who teach their kids that rules apply to everyone but them. Then they wonder why the kids start breaking rules. :rolleyes:

So, this kid gets permission from Mom to break the rules about the pool. That sets the stage for every other kid---even those with "high-pitched voices" who "make a lot of annoying, LOUD talking, giggling and squealing noises" to break the rules, too.

Good going, Mom! :mad: Thanks a bunch.

...But these kids have boobs!

BC

Since common sense is relative, it seems like this might be one area in which a defined age would be beneficial. I don't know what that age is, but trust me, I can certainly understand why teens would not to be at the kids pool...........................

HAL's current posted pool rules (on their ships where the aft pool is NOT an Adults Only pool) state that age is fourteen

HALPoolrules-1.jpg?t=1264367197

So what started off as a reasonable, common sense type of accommodation
Wait, since when is the deliberate, blatant breaking of a clearly posted rule by a passenger called an "accommodation"? :confused:

Agree that once some boorish people start breaking the rules, others tend to follow suit. But let's not call blatant rule breaking anything other than what it is.

And herein lies the confusion...the sign Cooper 10-8 posts is the generic pool rules sign. I recognize it as we own properties with private pools and have similar signs posted. The 14 year old reference in the sign is meant to cover HAL for insurance purposes (i.e. in the event a younger child is using the pool without adult supervision and drowns, HAL's liability would be limited). It is not meant to define 'adult'.

To confirm, I called Holland America's guest relations department. I was told by an agent that the aft pools are meant for adults only on certain ships. I asked him to define that. He said that an adult is considered to be 18 years of age or older. I am thinking of putting some blue eyeshadow on my 7 year old- she has no boobs but it seemed to work for the Chinese in the Olympics. Or maybe it didn't? Perhaps we'll just stay with the rest of kids mid-ship after all.

Northwest Wind- I agree w/ you, but I understand that others feel differently. My point was meant to counter what was offered as a 'common sense' judgement call by some and to show that the actions of a few can impact others.

Edited by Destin Mom
clarify

And herein lies the confusion.
Not sure I see where there should be any confusion.

Signs that say "Children under 14 require adult supervision" mean just that. Any age kid is allowed, but those under 14 need a parent with them.

Signs that say "Pool for Adults Only" , like this one:IMG_0391.jpg?t=1264367905

mean just that...adults only. No kids.

Where is the "confusion"?

Northwest Wind- I agree w/ you, but I understand that others feel differently. My point was meant to counter what was offered as a 'common sense' judgement call by some and to show that the actions of a few can impact others.
Sure, I just still don't get the "accommodation" euphemism for "breaking a rule".

Will it also be a "common sense accommodation" when rude mom and her boobalicious offspring don't bother to pack formal wear and just tromp into the MDR on formal night in NASCAR tank tops and matching flipflops?

Edited by Northwest Wind

Northwest- it appears based on the entire thread that not all aft pools have the sign you posted. Some may have the 14 year old reference and some do not. A few posters pointed out this could be because rules regarding age limitations can vary from cruise to cruise on the same ship while other ships have a static policy. I think some cruisers may read an aft pool sign with the 14 year old reference to mean anyone over 14 can use the pool even if it is for adults only. It can be confusing to some people even though it appears very clear to others.

Northwest- it appears based on the entire thread that not all aft pools have the sign you posted. Some may have the 14 year old reference and some do not.
I do understand that. The issue here is with a self-entitled parent who has announced her clear intention to march right past any "adults only" signs she sees at a pool and just plop her kids into it anyway. No confusion here at all. She knows exactly what the rule is and what the sign means and has rather belligerently announced her full intentions of ignoring it.. Edited by Northwest Wind

I do understand that. The issue here is with a self-entitled parent who has announced her clear intention to march right past any "adults only" signs she sees at a pool and just plop her kids into it anyway. No confusion here at all. She knows exactly what the rule is and what the sign means and has rather belligerently announced her full intentions of ignoring it..

Personally, if I were a mother of girls that age, they'd NOT be in any kind of "adult only" area -- why put them in a position where they may attract the wrong kind of attention? If they are the only ones that age in the area, they will be conspicuous.

And I agree with you, Northwest Wind..... self-entitled, and absolutely disinterested in any of the rules that are "inconvenient" for her.

The issue here is with a self-entitled parent who has announced her clear intention to march right past any "adults only" signs she sees at a pool and just plop her kids into it anyway. No confusion here at all. She knows exactly what the rule is and what the sign means and has rather belligerently announced her full intentions of ignoring it..

And when she does some other adults should sit there having a very adult conversation that teenage girls should not be listening to.

Let Mom deal with that.

Pretty sure this is how it currently stands on the HAL ships:

Statendam - midships and aft/seaview pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult)

Maasdam - midships and aft/seaview pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult)

Ryndam - midships and aft/seaview pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult)

Veendam - midships pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult) - aft Retreat wading pool for adults and children

Rotterdam - midships pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult) - aft Retreat wading pool for adults and children

Prinsendam - midships and aft/seaview pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult)

Volendam - midships pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult) - aft Retreat pool for adults and children

Zaandam - midships and aft/seaview pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult)

Amsterdam - midships and aft/seaview pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult)

Zuiderdam - midships pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult) - Aft/seaview pool - for adults only**

Oosterdam - midships pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult) - Aft/seaview pool - for adults only**

Westerdam - midships pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult) - Aft/seaview pool - for adults only

Noordam - midships pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult) - Aft/seaview pool - for adults only

Eurodam - midships pool - for adults and children (those kiddies under 14 must be accompanied by an adult) - Aft/seaview pool - for adults only

**unconfirmed

Doncha just love these parents who teach their kids that rules apply to everyone but them. Then they wonder why the kids start breaking rules. :rolleyes:

So, this kid gets permission from Mom to break the rules about the pool. That sets the stage for every other kid---even those with "high-pitched voices" who "make a lot of annoying, LOUD talking, giggling and squealing noises" to break the rules, too.

Good going, Mom! :mad: Thanks a bunch.

Touché Ruth..

Can't believe how many parents truly believe rules are meant to be broken & don't apply to them or their children ..

These same kids take their I-Pods & Cell phones to school, text their Friends during classes, even though the school rule is "NO I-Pods or Cell Phones" The same so called parents make excuses for these kids & say they want to be able to contact their children in an emergency..What happened to using their own home phones to call the school office in an emergency?

I do understand that. The issue here is with a self-entitled parent who has announced her clear intention to march right past any "adults only" signs she sees at a pool and just plop her kids into it anyway. No confusion here at all. She knows exactly what the rule is and what the sign means and has rather belligerently announced her full intentions of ignoring it..

It's the "Instant Gratification Syndrome" ..The heck with everyone else, I paid full fare for my children, therefore they do not have to observe the adults only rules..It's also called common courtesy to your fellow passengers...I've seen these same children/teens are not taught to get up on a crowded train/bus to offer their seat to a pregnant lady or hard working older gentleman...Why should they? After all, they paid full fare on the train/bus..Instead, I get up to give them my seat! :(

Betty

The heck with everyone else, I paid full fare for my children, therefore they do not have to observe the adults only rules.
Yep, that's exactly what Miss Self-Entitled and her Boobalicious Br*ts said. I quote:

"You will see us soaking in the adult pool... I certainly pay adult fares for them on buses, theatres and at buffets."

I've run out of rolleyes.

Most of you guys sound like old people complaining about this horrible generation. It goes on as people get older. It's certainly not like "when I was young and walked barefoot in the snow five miles to school, after I chopped the wood, started the fire with two twigs, caulked the log cabin again, and cleaned the venison for supper".

This generation of "entitled moms" may be different but they'll be paying your social security. Hey, nothing wrong with that.:)

And the old folks didn't pay into Social Security? I could have sworn they did it before those moms did... but maybe I'm mistaken, and it's an exclusive tax on modern moms. I need to go to my payroll department then, because they're taking it from me too! By the way, I'm not old... but I can be cranky.

BC