Where to Buy Tanzanite in the Carribean

Angelmoss

Hi, we are traveling on the dream 1/30/10, for our 25th anniversary. I fell in love with Tanzanite last year but couldn't afford it. I'm hoping to pick something up in either St. Thomas or St. Maarten, but want to get the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There is a Tanzanite International In Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. It was on our list of "ship approved" stores, when we went to the Port talk on the Carnival Liberty. At the time (oct.) there was a promotion to get you in the store.......a free pair of stud Tanzanite earrings, for showing proof you were on the ship, or something like that. I'm actually wearing mine right now! They're real small, and low quality Tanzanite (can barely detect a hint of blue), but, hey, they were free!

Hi, we are traveling on the dream 1/30/10, for our 25th anniversary. I fell in love with Tanzanite last year but couldn't afford it. I'm hoping to pick something up in either St. Thomas or St. Maarten, but want to get the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi

I have purchased all my jewelry at the recommend stores by the Cruise line and have never been disappointed. I have a tanzanite and just love it. All the jewelry I have purchased has been appraised when I got back and it has all been worth at least 2 -3 times what I paid for it. My best on was worth 15 times what I paid! It was in a clearance show case and I bought it on a whim.

Also, never ever pay the first price they quote you - bargain with them. They can always go lower. As well, try not to show how much you like the item - be nonchalant about it if you can. If they know you really want it they will not go as low. If you have to walk away - with this economy they will most likely chase you down.

Have fun! I love shopping for jewelry down in the Carribean. So much so I do not buy anything here anymore. Too expensive!

:)

A few years ago I bought a tanzanite ring at anTanzanite International in Mexico. I completely agree about the bargaining - I started walking out of the store 3 times and they were determined to make the sale, so I got the on I really wanted for 1/2 the original price. I'm sure they still made good money on the sale.

Absolutely.....bargain bargain bargain. Start R-E-A-L-L-Y low. My dh will always start at 1/3 to 1/2 of their asking price.

Once we started bargaining for a ring in Cozumel, began with a sales clerk, then went to the manager and ended up with the owner......we walked out and he chased after us asking "what do YOU want to pay?" all the way to the security gate on the pier :eek:

My expirence is more cheaply to bie on St.Maarten. But I don't try them in the recommended shops. Always the price is more expensive there. I think there is an arrangement and they pay to cruise companys. It is necessary to looking for, bargain and buy what likely for You, but not in the recommended "ship approved" stores.

I like very much Tanzanites. But I will not to buy them in "Tanzanite International". Too match expensive. The good price for tanzanite is around $350 for one carat. Try around this price.

Buying jewelry in the Caribbean is just as risky as buying on the streets of NYC. Tanzanite is graded just like diamonds so you have to compare like stones to obtain fair price comparisons. A Deep Blue/Purple stone with no inclusions would be twice or three times as much as Light Blue stone with feathering. Also, appraised value means nothing! Jewelry stores will appraise high just to impress clients. There are no license standards for jewelry appraisals. The value of a stone is what that jewelry store would buy it from you for. LOL!

Know what you are buying and get some prices online before you go. http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite.asp Remember, Jewelry is a world wide commodity, the price of gold, diamonds and Tanzanite is the same all over the world. The only advantage you have buying overseas is tariffs and taxes. St Martin is tax and duty free. But the prices might be higher and the quality lower than US stores.

"Approved Shops" only means that the cruise ship company get a commission on the sales. Nothing else. They are not better or worse. The cruise ship company is not going to guarantee or insure anything bought there.

Enjoy the hunt!

Archived