Carnival vs other cruise lines

Cambrensis

We will soon go on our third Carnival cruise/4th overall (the other was Holland America Westerdam, very nice).

Here's my question to those of you with boatloads ;) more cruising experience than me, especially on other lines:

How do they differ? Which ones are supposedly more "upscale" (obviously this is not a great issue for me, I happily patronize both Walmart :) and Carnival ... ) -- but-- for example -- when we came back very happy from our HA cruise, our TA said he'd like to get us on Celebrity next time, indicating it was an even nicer line. Or maybe just better commissions!

My impression, informed mainly by comments from these boards, is that the "mass market lines" like Carnival, Royal Carribean, Norwegian, Holland America -- are pretty similar, with minimal differences in price and amenities.

We've only had the opportunity to try two different cruise lines, Disney with our DS11 and Carnival just as a couple. The obvious is that Carnival is much more economic than Disney. The Disney Magic had a understated elegance that I found missing when I sailed on the Carnival Sensation. When we sailed on the Magic, we never felt that we were over-run with kids nor did we think that we were constantly bombarded with Mickey. When on the Sensation, we felt we had to constantly fight off the kids and teens. The staterooms and balconies are much larger on DCL.

Everyone thinks that DCL is just for kids and that they are everywhere, but we never felt that way. There are plenty of adult only areas and through a different message board, had a meet up group of around 45. Some with kids some without. DCL also has concierge service on the top three stateroom categories. Our group had a wine tasting in one of the one bedroom suites. When their concierge heard about the gathering, he immediately had cheese and fruit trays, chips, ice buckets, glasses and a tray of chocolate covered strawberries delivered.....with no additional cost. (We all chipped in and gave him a really nice tip;))

We really liked our cabin location on the Sensation. It was always quiet and easy to get to. The food in the dining room was always good, though our table mates always seemed to be mad at each other. :rolleyes: We like the variety of itineraries offered by CCL better than DCL.

Though our next cruise will be with CCL, we'd love to snag a Florida Resident Special and sail on DCL again.

Our first pick would be Disney, but because of the cost we'll be gladly be sailing Carnival on our next cruise.

We've only done 4 lines, but I don't think I could ever rely on someone else matching a line or a ship to my likes.

Even staying within one line, you find there are major differences between the ships, and how they run. There is also a difference in the same ship with two communities of different people.

So, once I leave reading someones facts, transending into an opinion, I move on.

We've only done 4 lines, but I don't think I could ever rely on someone else matching a line or a ship to my likes.

Even staying within one line, you find there are major differences between the ships, and how they run. There is also a difference in the same ship with two communities of different people.

So, once I leave reading someones facts, transending into an opinion, I move on.

I agree that everyone has a different experience and opinion with every cruise. But, each of our opinions is what makes this message board so helpful, informative, addictive and very often, irritating.:rolleyes:

We will soon go on our third Carnival cruise/4th overall (the other was Holland America Westerdam, very nice).

Here's my question to those of you with boatloads ;) more cruising experience than me, especially on other lines:

How do they differ? Which ones are supposedly more "upscale" (obviously this is not a great issue for me, I happily patronize both Walmart :) and Carnival ... ) -- but-- for example -- when we came back very happy from our HA cruise, our TA said he'd like to get us on Celebrity next time, indicating it was an even nicer line. Or maybe just better commissions!

My impression, informed mainly by comments from these boards, is that the "mass market lines" like Carnival, Royal Carribean, Norwegian, Holland America -- are pretty similar, with minimal differences in price and amenities.

i would say HAl is much more upscale line ,with premium food and service,after I would put RCL,Carnival and I would put NCL on last-last .

i would say HAl is much more upscale line ,with premium food and service,after I would put RCL,Carnival and I would put NCL on last-last .

Interesting ... we found our suite on the Westerdam NOT as nice as the Miracle ... still very nice ... service on HAL was exceptional but I would say comparable also ... we did NOT get window seating on HAL as on previous Carnival cruises and this was also the "boring" table I cited on my previous post .. so this probably colored perception too (perception is everything!) .. thanks for your feedback and hope to hear from a Celebrity alumnus!

Archived