Brilliance of the Seas - Arabian Adventure

We are going on the Arabian Adventure on Brilliance on 25th January but the very first one the ship is doing is 18th January so its difficult finding out information. We will be home again on 3rd February and will be happy to answer questions then if that isn't too late.

Hi 'Champagne Lover' I bet a few bottles were cracked open over Hogmanay!! I see you're sending the snow South.......

Thanks for the offer, but we'll be joining the ship on the 1st Feb, still it will all add to the excitmant, not knowing what to expect!

Have a great trip.

Hi "Lady of Leisure" - yes, a good few bottles were cracked open on Hogmanay. Apologies if we are sending the snow south but we Scots just love to share! We will wave to you as we come of Brilliance and as you are going on. Its hard to think that in just over a couple of weeks we will be in sunshine and no snow. If we can get to the airport that is.:cool:

Have a great trip.

Hi - this is our first post on the Cruise Critic forum. We are also on the Briliiance of the Seas on the 25th January and have been looking at dune evening trips - so any advice would be great. Thanks :p

Hi 'Champagne Lover,' don't drink all the champers on board, I'm quite partial to the bubbly myself! The snows coming down thick and fast now.

Hi 'Jep',I have a friend who's been to Dubai and this is from an e-mail I've rec'd from her re the 4x4 trips .......'

'It's a great trip from late afternoon allowing you to spend time in the desert, watch the sun set and eat under the stars - very special but the ride there is not for the faint hearted!'

It looks like it's something that has to be done........ Enjoy

I'm going on the 'Arabian Aadventure' before the Middle East cruise at the beginning of Feb and would be interested to hear comments from anyone whose been on it. Thanks.

We are going on the Arabian Adventure on Brilliance on 25th January but the very first one the ship is doing is 18th January so its difficult finding out information. We will be home again on 3rd February and will be happy to answer questions then if that isn't too late.

Fist cruise goes on 18January so this is a totally new itinerary for RCI.

Champagne Lover (aren't we all!) - would love it if you could be the guinea pig for this itinerary and give us a full report when you get back as it is so hard to find out info on what to do and how easy it is do do things independently ashore! It would be appreciated by a few people out here I'm sure. Cheers!

Hi Albert Ross

That's no problem - as long as I remember! I know how hard I have found it trying to get info beforehand and would have loved to have been able to ask all sorts of questions. At the moment we have booked trips for Muscat and Fujairah but intend doing our "own thing" in the other 2 ports.

I think there are many of us who are used to cruising in the Caribbean, and from what I can gather, Dubai and Arabian Gulf will be quite different - though must admit we are really looking forward to it. At least the weather will be so much better than here at the moment...........and no meals to prepare or clear up after. Sounds wonderful:)

Will send a report as soon as I am able and will try and answer as many questions as possible.

Hi everyone, I must admit I've spent hours on the internet looking up the different ports of call and can't decide whether to book the RC tours or go it alone. Only a couple of weeks left to make up my mind. Will also post how we got on. Take Care in the snow.

Hi everyone, I must admit I've spent hours on the internet looking up the different ports of call and can't decide whether to book the RC tours or go it alone. Only a couple of weeks left to make up my mind. Will also post how we got on. Take Care in the snow.

We are going on the cruise from Dubai on 18th January - can't wait to get away from freezing UK! I have been visiting the Middle East (Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat) on a regular basis for the past 15 years and have seen many changes, not always for the better, especially in Dubai. However the region still has a lot to offer and I love the Middle Eastern culture.

There are many things you can do on your own - don't miss a visit to Dubai creek, take a ride across it on an abra (small ferry boat) and then wander through the spice and gold souqs. For jewellry lovers you will be amazed by the shops in the gold souq, much of the gold is 24 ct "Indian" gold but look out for shops selling "European" 18 ct gold. Bargaining is expected and if you have any unwanted gold (minimum 18 ct) take it with you as many shops will allow you to part exchange it or will even buy it off you. Dubai Museum is easily reached in a taxi and provides an interesting insight into how Dubai was in the past before all the skyscrapers. Dubai Mall with its aquarium and musical fountain is one of the latest attractions. Also take a taxi down to Madinat Jumeirah where you will pass amazing new developments like the Burj Al Arab and for thrill seekers the Wild Wadi, a water park, is fun. There are websites offering desert safaris/ 4 x 4 adventures which are great, we are looking to do a balloon ride which will be a new experience although the 5 am pick up might be a problem. Also looking to visit Jumeirah Mosque where they conduct tours providing an insight into Islam.

Abu Dhabi is another port where it should be easy to get off the ship and wander although Muscat may not be so easy. Please remember that you are in a Muslim country, Dubai is cosmoplitan and they are used to tourists wearing skimpy clothing but Muscat is a different thing and as a female you should be conservative in your dress covering your upper arms and legs (no shorts or sleeveless tops) if you want to avoid offending the locals. Enjoy!:)

I just came back form the same itinerary on the Costa Luminosa over New Year. I posted about it on the Costa board and have answered quite a few questions about the ports already if you want to have a look. If there are any more specific questions ask on here.

We had a brilliant time, its a really nice itinerary, different to other cruises we have taken.

Julie

Hi I’m on the 8th Feb hope the weather will be better there than it is here and it has all cleared by the end of Jan.

Our first trip to the Dubai, booking some diy trips a little concerned about the timings though.

Any info please pass on.

Hope you all have a great hol.

Muscat - Muttrah market is right next to the cruise terminal, and Sultan Qaboos mosque is worth a visit

Fujairah - cannot find a reason to get off!

AD - The Big Bus (hoho) Tour is 200 AED

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/abudhabi/UploadedFiles/AD_MASTER_09_medres_200911031517.pdf

Bahrain - Bab Al Bahran (traditional souk) or Capitol Mall near Seef Mall (handicraft items)

Dubai - Madinat Jumeriah hotel complex is beautiful with the souk and plentiful restaurants.

Hi Julie, Glad you all enjoyed your trip. Can you remember if there were many taxis waiting at the port entrances doing private tours or just to get you into town? I read that you have to get a shuttle bus from the ship to the port entrance, is this right or can you walk?

Thanks Penton and Albert Ross for your ideas on what to see, I'll be making notes. I've just got to persuade my other hjalf that he does want to see another Moswque , fort and Market!!

Haven't rec'd any flight / cruise details yet Jodanuke and we go the 28th Jan. Thanks again everyone.

Hi Julie, Glad you all enjoyed your trip. Can you remember if there were many taxis waiting at the port entrances doing private tours or just to get you into town? I read that you have to get a shuttle bus from the ship to the port entrance, is this right or can you walk? .

Yes, you have to get a free bus to the port entrance everywhere except Dubai where the taxis are allowed right up to the ship.

There were plenty of taxis waiting at all the ports. We took them in Fujairah, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. In Oman we walked and in Bahrain you are a long way from the city(at least 40 minutes, more with traffic), so we took the Costa bus.

Costa had a bus which did a return journey into town in all ports, it cost 6 euros but a taxi worked out much cheaper(except Bahrain).

All of the taxi drivers were offering tours like they do in the Caribbean, we didn't do any but they sounded much cheaper than the ship excursions.

If you pay in local currency its much cheaper than euros or dollars as they have to use the meter.

Julie

Yes, you have to get a free bus to the port entrance everywhere except Dubai where the taxis are allowed right up to the ship.

There were plenty of taxis waiting at all the ports. We took them in Fujairah, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. In Oman we walked and in Bahrain you are a long way from the city(at least 40 minutes, more with traffic), so we took the Costa bus.

Never heard of RCI doing a free bus:rolleyes:!!! Or are they port supplied free busses?

Thanks for the tips on currency.

What IS there to do in Fujairah?

Never heard of RCI doing a free bus:rolleyes:!!! Or are they port supplied free busses?

The free buses are provided by the ports, the cruise line bus which went into the cities had to be paid for. In Dubai one of the large malls provided a free bus from the terminal too.

We liked Fujairah. The town was much bigger and more modern than we expected and it was definitely the cheapest place to shop in the UAE. We took a taxi from the ship to the Lulu mall as that was where the ship bus was going. This was not that large, it had a big Carrefour, a department store and a few smaller, western style shops, all very cheap. We planned to go to the museum on the way back but we lost my parents(long story) and by the time we found them again we didn't have time!

As we travelled back to the ship we drove past the large, fairly empty beach so it could be a good beach day too.

Julie

Julie, thanks for all the info - much appreciated. What was the weather like when you were there? Did you swim in the sea at all? We have booked a snorkelling / beach trips in Muscat & Fujairah and am now wondering if the sea will be too cool to make comfortable swimming.

The weather was perfect for us, 24-26 deg most days and around 18 - 20 deg at night. We only paddled in the sea in Abu Dhabi, it was not as warm as say the caribbean but not cold. I think it will only get warmer now. Our only previous visit to this area was to Dubai a few years ago in August. The temps were in the 40s and the sea was too hot to stay in!

Julie

Hi - this is our first post on the Cruise Critic forum. We are also on the Briliiance of the Seas on the 25th January and have been looking at dune evening trips - so any advice would be great. Thanks :p

There has been a few problems recently with lost luggage for whatever reason.

Can i suggest you pack carefully ie. put some clothes of each sex in your carry on bags.

We lost ours and it has certainly opened our eyes the way we will pack our luggage next time.

Have a good cruise.

I don't think there's a lot going on in Fujairah, a day on board soaking up the sun sounds like the order of the day.

Theres a very good article by Jane Archer a cruise critic contributor titled

'My first cruise to the Arabian Gulf' which is interesting, I think you can find it under 'ports' on the website,if not just type in Arabian Gulf and it should come up.

• 2 weeks later...
Have any of you had flight details yet? Our cruise starts on feb 21 and not had any yet.

Peter

We will be on the same cruise (our first ever !) We haven't had any flight details yet - have yours arrived yet ? Feeling a bit anxious about being on a floating town !! Don't really know what to expect. Yvonne and Andy. (Suffolk)

Archived