Dream cruise in progress. :)

justjen321

Party of six – My husband (42) and myself (37), three kids (18, 17, 13) and my mother (55)

Eight cruise for my husband and myself (all with carnival), 4th cruise for the three kids, and first cruise for my mother.

Hotel – Wyndham Orlando – Terrible reviews, we had a great stay

Embarkation – Easy and smooth. On the ship in about 40 minutes from arrival. Friendly and efficient.

Cabins – Spa 11219 and 11223 – We'd heard reviews that there were loud clanging sounds in these cabins, and that's true. Scared the kids the first few nights. It basically sounds like a Uboat is firing on the ship. I have no idea where they come from or why, and haven't put any effort into finding out at this point.

The spa – A MUST visit, even if you only do a day pass. I adore Qua Spa at cesears palace in Las Vegas, and this actually rivals it nicely. Eucalyptus Steam Room, Oriental Steam Room, Quiet room with lovely lemon iced water and cucumber iced water (definitely try this) as well as a selection of fresh fruits and hot teas. Therapy pool is lovely, and rarely 'busy'. There are also two areas to lie on stone warmed benches, with huge windows to look out at the sea as you relax. Locker/shower rooms are amazing. The showers are about the size of an inside cabin, and fabulous if you have several people in the cabin who need to shower. Again, a MUST try for those who enjoy spas.

Some have mentioned that they didn't get their 'bracelets' (to allow you access to the spa, for those in spa cabins) upon arriving. You need only go to the Spa and talk to the ladies at the counter, they'll check your rooms and give them to you.

Pursers Desk – Visited twice in the first two days. No long lines, helpful friendly staff.

Saturday night – chef's art steakhouse – Delicious food as usual.

Sunday – Nassau – This was like a sea day for our family, as we have been to Nassau on a Sunday and don't care for it. Sundays are very quiet on Nassau without much being open till after noon. When the ship leaves at 2:00pm, doesn't leave much time to do anything. Fine for us, we like being on the ship.

Monday – First Sea Day – Icky weather. :( Rainy and windy. Seas a tiny bit bumpy, but nothing major. We'd read lots of reviews, most of them negative, and didn't get that impression of the ship or her crew. We found them to be pleasant and helpful. The lines are definitely very long, made worse today by the dreary weather. It's not typically the lines that are frustrating, it's the passengers. Most try to behave well in that situation, many don't seem to understand that they weren't given a tiara or crown upon embarkation, and they aren't 'entitled' to bully their way through lines and such. It's one of those sad facts of cruising that will never change.

I'll be uploading here, from the comfort of my cabin, because they do indeed have wi-fi that reaches the entire ship. :) Maybe more later.

The spa – A MUST visit, even if you only do a day pass. I adore Qua Spa at cesears palace in Las Vegas, and this actually rivals it nicely. Eucalyptus Steam Room, Oriental Steam Room, Quiet room with lovely lemon iced water and cucumber iced water (definitely try this) as well as a selection of fresh fruits and hot teas. Therapy pool is lovely, and rarely 'busy'. There are also two areas to lie on stone warmed benches, with huge windows to look out at the sea as you relax. Locker/shower rooms are amazing. The showers are about the size of an inside cabin, and fabulous if you have several people in the cabin who need to shower. Again, a MUST try for those who enjoy spas.

Oh... the way you describe the spa makes me want to melt. I'll have to check out the Spa on the Splendor. Thanks for your review...nice job.

“Lucky! if your kids are in the circle C and club o2 programs could you post those capers? Also what food offerings does the Lanai BBQ have?”

Sadly, I don’t have capers, and don’t have an answer for you on the BBQ at the moment. We haven’t visited the BBQ place just yet. My youngest (Circle C) is having a blast, I can tell you that much. He’s blown by me a few times today with a gaggle of kids doing scavenger hunts and the like. J

“enjoying your review KEEP it coming. Thinking of takimng a group on the Dream in December- I was on a pre inaugural and loved the ship Wondering what this is all about the Sewage smell...

DO you smell anything unusual?”

From time to time, yes, I’ve gotten a whiff of something less that spectacular. Never overpowering, and never lasting long. I’ve noticed it on a few other cruises in the past as well, so I have no idea if it’s something to do with being on a ship on the ocean or what, nor have I ever been bothered by it enough to go and ask questions.

“If not to much trouble, could you inquire what is the cost per person for the week if not in a spa cabin? “

Frogquackers answered this already, however, I heard a couple inquiring about this today at the Spa Desk, and learned that the number of cruise long passes they offer is limited. This afternoon, they only had three left. (They were discounting them by $35 today since we are into the cruise.) They also only do ten day passes per day.

‘My daughter is going to be in 11223....she is freaking out about the noise. can you tell us more about it? is it all night or how often!”

My husband counted it 14 times this morning from 6-7am. It happens at all hours. It’s never woken me up, but I sleep very soundly on the ship. I’m not sure how many other cabins are affected by the sounds, but I know our two are. I don’t know how much help it would be for you to call carnival and try to switch rooms or what have you, but it really is a rather loud noise.

“Do they have spa passes for one day?”

Yes, they do. Although they only do ten per day in day passes. I think the lady said they were $35 per person, per day.

I know you are enjoying yourself wonderfully, but if I could ask, where the laundry services are. I have searched everywhere and no answer to be had. My room will be on deck 6 at the end of the month and wonder where I can wash my clothes so I don't have to pack the whole closet.:p

justjen321-I am happy to hear you are enjoying your cruise. I hope the weather gets better for you tomorrow!

I'm glad to hear your 13 year old is having fun! I'll have my 12 year old son who is very use to sailing on RCCL and loves their clubs so hope he will have fun too since he will be in the same age group as your son.

I'll also have two 16 year old girls with me. My dd is also use to the clubs on RCCL but at that age, it is more of a social hangout then anything else.

What is your 17 year old doing during sea days/nights? Is he with the kids he met the first night (my dd usually meets up with kids the first night) or more hanging with the 18 year old?

I understand what you say about Nassau. We've also been there, done that. One of our stops will be Belize and since it is in the middle of port days (3 consecutive), I've decided it will be used as one of our "sea days" and stay on the ship. I've booked massages for dh and me already and if the girls would like one, they can get one too. I figured the kids (and dh and I) can all sleep in that day and just relax with a somewhat empty ship.

Have a great cruise and thank you for keeping us all posted.

We'll be on Deck 8 the forth cabin from the aft with an inside across the hall.

I know you are enjoying yourself wonderfully, but if I could ask, where the laundry services are. I have searched everywhere and no answer to be had. My room will be on deck 6 at the end of the month and wonder where I can wash my clothes so I don't have to pack the whole closet.:p

I have the deck plan in front of me that I got at the pursers desk last month. The closest laundry room to you would be on deck 7, right outside the elevator at mid-ship. The ironing room is right below the laundry room on deck 6.

Laundry rooms are on deck 2 (midship), 7 (midship), and 10 (forward). There are 4 or 5 ironing rooms scattered about as well.

Monday Night- They did a ‘Family Fun Hop’ and it was the most well participated ‘event’ I’ve ever seen. I think it was due to Monday night being our first warm night. We finally got to get out and enjoy the beautiful lido! It was a lot of fun to come out and see all three tiers FULL of people, red team on one side, blue on the other, screaming their team chants back and forth, conga lining, and doing the wave. All ages participated, and everyone seemed to have a great time. Score for carnival on this one. All these things are a tiny bit hokey, but that’s what makes em so damn fun!

Tuesday - St Thomas. St Thomas is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. This is the first time we’ve ever been in port so long. We arrived at 10am and didn’t pull back out till 8pm. It was wonderful. Pulling into St Thomas looks reminiscent of Greece. We didn’t have to hustle off the ship because we had to much time here. We woke at our leisure (and with three teens, trust me, it was leisurely.) and headed off the ship about 2pm. We don’t plan big excursions, we tend to research before we leave and decide where we want to go. Then, we get off and wander that way at our own pace. We aren’t big shoppers, so we wandered through the shops right off the ships very briefly and then set out the few blocks (walking) to Paradise Point. For $21 per person, we rode the tram to the top and hung out up there for awhile. Beautiful views, good drinks (The Bushwhacker is their signature drink) and had some snacks. I wouldn’t say the food there is anything special, but it’s good for hungry families who want to enjoy the view. The sunset from there is lovely. We took tons of photos and headed back down the tram to reboard the ship. It’s worth the trip up, and that’s coming from someone who is deathly afraid of heights. I white knuckled it through the few minutes and was glad I did. Reboarding was easy breezy, and we hit the showers because it was a hot, hot day. Home in Indiana it’s 2 degrees, so I’m ALL for sweating. It’s January, I’m in the middle of a beautiful paradise, and in shorts and a tank top. What more could I ask for?

We were in port with 5 other ships, one of them being the Oasis of the Seas. She’s truly a monster. She was parked next to a costa ship, and Oasis made the costa ship look like a midget. It truly looked more like a yacht than a cruise ship in comparison. I’m already unsure if I prefer this bigger ship to the others we’ve cruised, so I’m already reasonably confident that Oasis isn’t something I will be experiencing. She looks lovely, and gigantic, just not for me, I think.

Our dining room is the Scarlett Dining Room, late seating. We have Elbert for a head waiter, and he’s one of my all time favorites. He is GREAT with kids, simply great, and his personality is far bigger than any of the others we see around us, so we feel fortunate.

I still have yet to find anything on this ship, or with her crew, that I find to fit some of the very negative reviews I’ve read. That being said, we are pretty easy to please, so my perceptions are merely my own. All crew I’ve run into have been pleasant, and helpful to the best of their abilities.

We had the opportunity to have to deal with the medical emergency staff (Seriously low blood sugars, all is well now) and I’m rather impressed. J That’s a great thing to know when you are far, far away from land. Friendly, professional, and great follow up.

And now, I believe it’s time to tuck into my comfy bed.

The Smell really has me a bit baffled as to why this is happening on a new ship...

When i was on the dream Pre inugural we were shoreside so even staying overnight we did not have this issue.

the Mongolian BBQ was Delish but long lines is that still so?? Did you go to the PAsta Restaurant?

I found the theatre had the MOSt umcomfortable seating Upstairs so downstairs may be much better.

What kind of Pool games do they play?

Love hearing your input...

Susie

Thanks so much for giving us your time and reviews while you are on vacation. I am trying to decide if it is worth it to get a spa cabin? What approx was the extra cost for a spa cabin and what "perks" do you get with it? We are looking at 3 of us going, my husband, myself and my 15 yr old dd, we have previously just always done balcony rooms? Is it worth the extra?

Questions -

“I hate to ask, but dd has a chance to change to room 11224 the one right behind you.......could you possible find out if they are hearing the noise also. would much appreciate it. Thanks Trisha”

With the level of noise, and the location of that room, I cannot imagine that they are not hearing it. I’ve not seen anyone from that particular room, but I don’t see how it wouldn’t be heard there.

“I know you are enjoying yourself wonderfully, but if I could ask, where the laundry services are. I have searched everywhere and no answer to be had. My room will be on deck 6 at the end of the month and wonder where I can wash my clothes so I don't have to pack the whole closet”

There are several laundry areas on different floors. I know someone else has answered this, I’m glad, because I don’t have a map handy for that area. I’m on the Lido, enjoying the band as I write. For us, it’s one deck below us. There are two washers, and four dryers. 3$ each, so $6 for a load. Laundry soap is 1.25. The dryers run for an hour, and our clothes got dry in the allotted time.

“justjen321-I am happy to hear you are enjoying your cruise. I hope the weather gets better for you tomorrow!

I'm glad to hear your 13 year old is having fun! I'll have my 12 year old son who is very use to sailing on RCCL and loves their clubs so hope he will have fun too since he will be in the same age group as your son.

I'll also have two 16 year old girls with me. My dd is also use to the clubs on RCCL but at that age, it is more of a social hangout then anything else.

What is your 17 year old doing during sea days/nights? Is he with the kids he met the first night (my dd usually meets up with kids the first night) or more hanging with the 18 year old?”

My kids have utilized camp carnival (circle c and club o2) much less this time, for no particular reason. My older teens have always gone a few times to club 02, then gone off to hang out by themselves with the kids they met. So the 17 year old is indeed hanging with the kids from club 02. My 18 year old daughter is actually struggling this cruise, because she cannot partake of the clubs, and it’s a little difficult for a girl her age to meet people. We hadn’t anticipated that really. She tried hanging out with the kids my 17 year old son met, but it just wasn’t ‘right’ for her. So she’s sort of finding her way. I will say, however, from the capers they’ve let me see for their age groups, carnival really does a great job of having activities they will actually be interested in for each age group.

“I understand what you say about Nassau. We've also been there, done that. One of our stops will be Belize and since it is in the middle of port days (3 consecutive), I've decided it will be used as one of our "sea days" and stay on the ship. I've booked massages for dh and me already and if the girls would like one, they can get one too. I figured the kids (and dh and I) can all sleep in that day and just relax with a somewhat empty ship.

Have a great cruise and thank you for keeping us all posted.

We'll be on Deck 8 the forth cabin from the aft with an inside across the hall.”

I know there isn’t a question in here, but I wanted to note, again, how beautifully appointed the spa area is. I’ve just come from there, in the eucalyptus sauna, and the quiet room. I’m a spa tramp, and I’m impressed. We cruise Valor in Feb, and I’m hoping they have an equitable spa, as I plan to buy a pass. For the record, for those who may not be interested in the spa rooms, we did figure out at regular, standard cruise rates, it would have been slightly cheaper for us to book regular non spa cabins and buy a week long pass. Just an FYI. Also, spa cabins only allow the spa for the first two booked into a cabin. The showers there are fabulous if you get tired of your cramped cabin shower. J

“Thanks so much for giving us your time and reviews while you are on vacation. I am trying to decide if it is worth it to get a spa cabin? What approx was the extra cost for a spa cabin and what "perks" do you get with it? We are looking at 3 of us going, my husband, myself and my 15 yr old dd, we have previously just always done balcony rooms? Is it worth the extra?”

I’d look at the costs of whatever cabin you normally book, and the upgrade to a spa cabin. Somewhere in this post I’ve mentioned that we found it would have actually been a tiny bit cheaper to just purchase the week long pass. I just don’t remember where. J It may work out better for you that way, as the spa cabins themselves didn’t seem very special, and thus, it’s the actual SPA you want.

Wednesday - St Marteen. Lovely little place. Not as pretty as pulling into St Thomas, but still beautiful. Only three of us left the ship. My mother, my 13 year old and I set off to explore a little, with the goal of not being gone terribly long. Right off the ship are the usual shops. We did purchase spices and hot sauces and jams in one. They will give you tastes of each type, because they are a little unusual. Guavaberry is common here. The jam is delicious. We then took a taxi (3$ per person) into downtown, and wandered the shops a little. Stopped at a beach, and my son played in the ocean while we grabbed a snack right on the beach. I think it was called the Barefoot Beach café or some such. Food was good, nothing I’d say you had to stop and try.

In St Marteen, don’t forget to haggle. I’m not a good haggler, hubby does it usually, but we didn’t have him today. When prices were stated, I’d just smile and let them know I wasn’t looking to spend that much, and turn to leave. The price always comes down. Usually twice. Just another FYI

I got to hear the steel drums here as well, and I’m glad. They are oddly a part of cruising for me, and carnival doesn’t have them anymore. L

The movies on the Lido deck are fabulous. It’s a lovely way to watch a movie.

My youngest loves the water slides. I haven’t ventured down them yet, but plan to. I haven’t noticed them being closed often, which I’d heard complaints of before.

On the Lido deck, don’t forget to go ALL the way to the back of the Gathering. Out the doors, as if you planned to use the pool back there. You’ll find Indian food and a deli from 12-3 each day.

The pools do look smallish, but I’ve never seen them be overly crowded.

The sushi area is very pretty and seems to offer a good selection, although not being a sushi eater, I haven’t sampled the wares.

The coffee shop (nominal prices) has delicious little treats and very good coffee.

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much for the info!!! I have been wondering about the spa situation. I think I am going to have to budget a little something for that visit. Did you hear anyone talking about the cove balconys? I will be in 2256. Looks great from what I'm hearing so far.

Archived