Medicine donations in Roatan

minncruisers

We'll be visiting family during our stop in Roatan and they asked that we bring various medications (mostly for mothers and children) to donate to the local clinic. Apparently they've been hard hit due to recent activities and travel advisories. Would we have any problems bringing things like unopened pre-natal vitamins and pain relievers(acetominiphen and ibuprofen) off the ship? They wouldn't be large amounts, just a few bottles of each.

I brought a smorgusboard of meds back with me on my last cruise. I put them through the XRay thing and everything getting on the boat and not a word was said to me. You just cant beat the prices outside the US. I couldnt believe how much cheaper it was. I got a years supply of medication for about the price of one month.

I brought a smorgusboard of meds back with me on my last cruise. I put them through the XRay thing and everything getting on the boat and not a word was said to me. You just cant beat the prices outside the US. I couldnt believe how much cheaper it was. I got a years supply of medication for about the price of one month.

I'm bringing them TO Roatan not FROM Roatan. They're for the Clinica Esperanza. :D

The island has very little in the way of supplies due to its distance and the recent political activity on mainland Honduras.

Hubby and I have taken supplies to orphanages in Roatan many times. I don't see any problem ahead of you in taking a few bottles of kids vitamins and a few bottles of pain relievers off the ship. If you were planning to take a few bags of medical supplies, etc. off the ship you could be looking at a very different picture however.

We have actually taken an entire hotel luggage rack full of supplies off the ship in Roatan at times. On those occasions we were required to give a list of all items to the purser's office at the beginning of the cruise and the purser filled out special papers for the Honduran authorities to OK before we were allowed to unload the items from the ship.

Dianne

Archived