Clelia on the Rocks

SeaSiq

Once again Antarctica proves that cruising there is truly an adventure. I am happy about two things. First, that no one was injured. Second, that it was the Clelia and not her sister Corinthian II that is out of service for a couple of cruises. I am still looking forward to my cruise on the Corinthian II in February and hope the ship won't be packed to the gills with over 100 people now.

Once again Antarctica proves that cruising there is truly an adventure. I am happy about two things. First, that no one was injured. Second, that it was the Clelia and not her sister Corinthian II that is out of service for a couple of cruises. I am still looking forward to my cruise on the Corinthian II in February and hope the ship won't be packed to the gills with over 100 people now.

Hello SeaSiq

Re Corinthian II. I'm curious how you learned she was only half full (as of mid Dec). Yes, the Clelia II grounding might well put more folks onto the Corinthian. We will be aboard the 8 Feb sailing...it's a wonderful itinerary...looking forward to returning to Falklands and So G Cruise West is a very good line. We did an Arctic on Spirit of Oceanus, the other sister ship to the Corinthian II...a very comfy ship, even with an almost full load.

SeaSloth

Actually, I will not be going on this trip. The booking is for my photogapher wife. She recently got back from photographing Polar bears and now she is heading south for this cruise. With our current temperatures below zero here in the midwest, you would think she might want to go to a warm spot.

When I called Cruise West, I asked about how many people were on this cruise. The agent went to check and said she was prohibited from giving out the exact number, but that the ship was about half full. Talking to the people who provide the parkas for the cruise, they also said that the ship was "not very full", so exchanging parkas that might end up being the wrong size, might be a problem.

Keep looking at this thread as I will try and get the wife to take some time from her Photoshop work to post more info.

When are you arriving at the hotel? She is getting in a day early to avoid the risk of a canceled flight. Probably she will go to a tango show the first night>

We're SFO/Miami/BA to arv BA morning 7th. Two nites at Palacio Duhau Park Hyatt BA then flight to Ushuaia to board 9th. We always try to go at least a day early so the 'lost luggage' has a chance to catch up. I can't imagine last minute shopping in a warm climate for a polar trip. Glad to hear Parkas are provided. Have you heard whether boots are also available? Sure hate to pack those heavy things.

Presume your wife is a professional photographer. Has she been to Antarctic? It sure is a 'wow' subject for the camera...especially this itinerary.

SS

SeaSiq said: "With our current temperatures below zero here in the midwest, you would think she might want to go to a warm spot."

If you're below zero, there's a good chance your wife will be somewhere "warmer" when she goes to Antarctica ... most of our days were right around 40F when we went in 2007 ... it's all relative isn't it :-)

Any chance for a link to see your wife's photographs? We went to Churchill last year to photograph the bears ... my photos are at:

SeaSloth,

The wife arrival date and hotell are the same as yours. She is flying there via American through Houston. As far as boots, Cruise West does not provide any on this trip. Finding boots locally has been impossible. With all the snow and cold weather, every store is sold out. We got three different pairs via the internet to insure at least one fits. You might try the NEOS Adventurer as a very light overshoe that is waterproof. Her other pair is from Baffin.

Liz's public photos can be viewed at:

http://www.pbase.com/britestar

Unfortunately, only her "point and shoot" photos from Churchill are up at present, in this folder:

http://www.pbase.com/britestar/churchill_winnipeg_and_polar_bears

SeaSloth,

The wife arrival date and hotell are the same as yours. She is flying there via American through Houston. As far as boots, Cruise West does not provide any on this trip. Finding boots locally has been impossible. With all the snow and cold weather, every store is sold out. We got three different pairs via the internet to insure at least one fits. You might try the NEOS Adventurer as a very light overshoe that is waterproof. Her other pair is from Baffin.

Liz's public photos can be viewed at:

http://www.pbase.com/britestar

Unfortunately, only her "point and shoot" photos from Churchill are up at present, in this folder:

http://www.pbase.com/britestar/churchill_winnipeg_and_polar_bears

Thanks for the links; I'm going to take my time enjoying your wife's photography. I did take a quick peek at her Churchill photos when I realized she was at the Great White Bear Lodge ... finally and opportunity to contrast their lodge/buggy with the Tundra Buggy Lodge (the company we opted for).

Erin

Thanks for the boot info. Our barn boots are so darned heavy...when we'd have to take them we leave them on the ship. The learning curve has finally engaged...just ordered NEOS. Hope they work OK.

Thanks for the photo links. Look forward to meeting Liz. We share a real liking for our Panasonics, tho mine is strictly hobby.

SS

Ok, you guys, stop with the polar bear pics....you are giving me ideas and my husband will not like that!!

So, Great White Bear Lodge and Tundra Buggy Lodge is it?!

Best time of year to go??

Hmmmm! research time!

Thanks a lot!

kristy

ps- was that a Quark parka that I saw in H2SO4s pics

pps- great pics by the way from both of you!

einstein's mom said: "ps- was that a Quark parka that I saw in H2SO4s pics"

yes - that's the Quark parka from our 2007 Quest for Antarctica voyage ... we've used it countless times since then ... perfect for cold weather forays to wildlife reserves and even winter walks on the beach :-)

• 2 weeks later...

We have just found out that our 5 Feb 2010 trip on Clelia II has been cancelled. TDI did not inform us directly. We only found out by having our agent call and ask why we had not received the pre-departure materials. My respect for this company is now almost zero. They did not make any attempt to inform us that there might be a problem and we find out less than two weeks before our flight to Buenos Aires.

I should have been monitoring this board.

Whether people off of the canceled Clelia II cruises can easily move to the Corinthian II cruise leaving Ushuaia on Feb 9 is a question I have been wondering about. The canceled cruises are run directly by Travel Dynamics. The Feb 9 Corinthian cruise is chartered to Cruise West.

I also read on another site that all Clelia II Antarctic cruises have been canceled and that her next trip is now in late March. Surprisingly, there is nothing on the Travel Dynamics site. What is more worrisome to me as a passenger on the Corinthian II. is that, the same site stated that someone who was on the Clelia II in December said the crew members were grumbling about Travel Dynamics being late in depositing their pay. If that is true, I hope it doesn't impact service on the Corinthian II, since they are paid by the same company.

Since I leave just two weeks from today for Buenos Aires, I am hopeful that we will have a great trip with smooth seas and plenty of sun for photography.

Liz

Orion Expediton Cruises in Australia has leased the Clelia11 as of May of 2011. The situation with the ship right now is a bit worrisome to me. I have a trip booked on the Corinthian towards the end of April.

Last year I was booked on a small ship specializing in the Croatia area and one of the other ships owned by the company was taken over by a bank. The company was based in N.Y. The first story two days before sailing that came to me about my cruise was that the ship had a slight accident. We were given the option of rebooking but it went from there to all cruises being canceled. Because only check or American Express was accepted for final payment and I paid by check, it took me 5 months to get $10,000 returned. The company never declared bankruptcy so my insurance was no good.

Just thought I might give a warning to people although it is probably unnecessary - never pay by check.

I did rebook on the Corinthian II but it was not without quite a bit of hassle. At first I was offered a spot on a Russian ship of much lower class. Then they called my agent to say a space opened up on the Corinthian II. I still do not have all of the information.

They kept the departure date the same and are putting the former Clelia II passengers up in Ushuaia for two nights. They are providing some excursions to occupy the passengers.

It is going to be interesting to see how the dual Cruise West/TDI operation works out on this trip.

See -- You heard it first here. Five days after I put the info up, it finally made it to the press. Even now, TD has not said anything to the press about compensation, etc.

AlwaysOnTheRoad - Welcome to the Corinthian II. Are you traveling as a single, or with someone?

Since you say that you had trouble getting a suite on this cruise, I have to assume the ship has completely filled up since I checked a couple of weeks ago. I sure hope that we are still at less than 100 passenger, so that everyone will get to go ashore all the time, with no time limits.

I chose a classic suite, right in the middle of the ship, to try and limit any possible motion effects in the Drake. Where will you be?

Can't believe it is only week from tomorrow that I head out. Are you at the Hyatt for two nights? That is what I am doing. Traveling via American through Dallas. Unfortunately, still on waitlist for Business Class. I sure hope it comes through, as I am not looking forward to 10 hours in coach. I had to do that on a trip last year to Australia/New Zealand, and it was physically painful. Air New Zealand was OK, but United was really the pits.

Still trying to get everything into my suitcases and leave enough room for the parka and a couple of local purchases on the way back. It sure is a lot easier to pack for warm weather trips than for cold. Can't find room for my Baffin Ice Bear rubber boots, so it looks like the Neos Adventurers will have to be it. I am also thinking of bringing a pair of YakTrax to put on the boots for walking on ice or slippery snow.

See you soon.

Liz

Photogirl/Liz,

As I said, I wish I had been monitoring this board. TDI announced yesterday that the rest of the "season" was cancelled as the Clelia II will need a new propeller that must be manufactured in Denmark.

To answer your questions. Travelling as a single on the next to lowest passenger deck. It was all that was available - or that's what they tell me.

I would expect the boat to be full but I am not sure of the impact on landings. The 100 passenger at a time is a voluntary action on the part of operators. We shall see.

I will not be at the Hyatt with the other passengers as I had to reorganize my previous arrangements. I am first in El Calafate and will then join on the 8th in Ushuaia. I still have not been told the hotel in Ushuaia by TDI.

See you there.

Even though it is only guidance, I doubt that any of the signatories to the agreement would violate it by any significant number. As far as this Cruise West charter of the Corinthian II, there should be no problem, even if all the suites are filled. Cruise West dropped the surcharge for booking a single about six month's ago. That is why I am on this cruise. I would expect a number of suites to be occupied by single passengers. With a maximum of 114 passengers, with all suites filled as doubles, the number of singles will probably drop the total to under 100.

I hope the weather clears up for our cruise, Ushuaia has been having rain every day and reports from other cruises is clouds, fog, rain and a little snow. I'm really hoping for filtered sunshine on most days. That would really make the iceberg pictures pop.

Antarctic expedition ships adhere to the IAATO 'suggestions' of only 100 ashore at a time and if abused the ship co gets tossed out of IAATO and apparently widely reported. Not many would risk it.

Both Falklands and So Georgia are technically not Antarctic but So Georgia still adheres to the IAATO rules. Falklands are British and we can put ashore the full shipload, though most ships still prefer to exercise environmental sensitivity if the landing location is remote and compromised.

Also TD currently owns both Clelia II and Corinthian II. Clelia II will be (or has been) sold to Orion thus canceling at least some future cruises.

Corinthian II was about half full with a Cruise West charter and is now full with the addition of the Clelia passengers.

I hope the weather clears up for our cruise, Ushuaia has been having rain every day and reports from other cruises is clouds, fog, rain and a little snow. I'm really hoping for filtered sunshine on most days. That would really make the iceberg pictures pop.

Wishing you filtered sunshine on your cruise and looking forward to reading your comments on your return.

Archived