Akaroa - any ideas for things to do here?

I am unsure about the bus service to get to Christchurch, it seems to only go a few times and if you happen to miss the bus back, you miss the ship! We have heard of a place called Giants House, which looks interesting? anyone been there? Or other suggestions much appreciated!:)

Mrsso... Have you looked at the shore excursions on your cruise personaliser?

We are going on the Pac Dawn and also anchoring at Akaroa. I am pretty sure there was a trip to Christchurch and back. Of course it be cheaper if you do it yourself. Have you seen this?

Linton of Akaroa - "The Giant's House" 68 Rue Balgurie, Akaroa

Linton, "The Giant's House" is the home of artist Josie Martin - painter and sculptor. The gallery throughout her house displays paintings, assemblages and various creations in a range of mixed media. This extends out into the garden with large concrete and mosaic installations plus welded steel sculptures. For more information please visit our website. http://www.linton.co.nz

We are just doing the guided walking tour in the morning and have a wander about in the afternoon. I think it will be too cold to swim with the dolphins - I'm a wooss! ;)

Sandy, we get back on the 14th February, so I'll be sure to post a blog of what we did in Akaroa, and let you know what we thought. Thanks for your input, I saw the P & O tour to christchurch at $79 each and decided that was a bit steep. All I really wanted was a bus to go there, and we do our own thing. :)

Sandy, we get back on the 14th February, so I'll be sure to post a blog of what we did in Akaroa, and let you know what we thought. Thanks for your input, I saw the P & O tour to christchurch at $79 each and decided that was a bit steep. All I really wanted was a bus to go there, and we do our own thing. :)

I'll look forward to that. We don't have a lot to spend on tours, either and I think that Christchurch tour took up most of the day. I am interested in the history of Akaroa so thought I'd like a really good look at that. If it only takes up a morning we will be able to 'rest up' -haha on the ship in the afternoon, ready for Wellington the next day.;)

Have a look at "Street view" in Google maps. In Street view, you can walk up and down a number of streets in Akaroa, along the waterfront and further back. Looks like a pleasant small NZ village - not particularly exciting, - but should be nice for a good walk around. Really need a car to get around further- or even a bicycle?? From one extremity of the waterfront to the other is about 2.5 klms.

Barry

Big M, are there any buildings of particular interest besides the Giant's House?

We thought about the boat trip, but really want to see the town.

I didn't do a formally guided tour of the town to know if there were any other significant landmarks, although there wasn't such a tour offered on my cruise which may be indicative. The only tours offered ashore (or on the cruise) were to a farm and around the harbour, plus with the dolphins themselves. Other tours went further afield, e.g. to vineyards or Christchurch.

From looking around though, I wouldn't have thought so about the buildings; it is a very small settlement and most of the buildings don't appear to stand out. A fair number on the back streets are just houses which have been converted into or used as shops. It's a lovely place to walk around, look at souvenirs and have a snack (assuming the weather's good!).

Hi All,

We were recently at Akoroa, and swam with the Hector dolphins, which was a real highlight of our trip. We were on the Diamond princess and docked at christchurch, where we then bused it to Akoroa. It was a pre booked private tour.

email me at michelegaye65@hotmail.com if u want anymore details.

Cheers,

Michele:)

Archived