Drinking on RCCL Cruise Ships in General...

It would be unusual for me. I haven't had six drinks in three years.

It's just weird to me that people here seem to get absolutely giddy at the mere mention of alcohol like they are 16 and their parents are going away for the weekend.

If I drank six drinks a day I'd be a complete embarrassing mess.

First you must be of legal age... then it's to each his/her own. :D

It's just weird to me that people here seem to get absolutely giddy at the mere mention of alcohol like they are 16 and their parents are going away for the weekend.

Well, I think thats the thing. Some can drink a lot more and not even feel it, its what you are used to really and your body mass, smaller people tend to get drunk easily, not all but some.

Well, people get giddy over many things involved with cruising, everything from good toilet paper to a well-cooked steak. That's what makes the world go around.

Well, people get giddy over many things involved with cruising, everything from good toilet paper to a well-cooked steak. That's what makes the world go around.

Actually the world goes round because of the law of conservation of angular momentum.

But I hear what you're saying...

:)

The cruise lines make a lot of money selling drinks. It's how they keep the price of the actual cruise down and they expect to make their profits by selling these drinks. There are so many lounges on the ships that in my opinion, if anyone gets drunk, the cruise lines bear some responsibility. The bar tenders should at some point refuse to sell people drinks, but I doubt that happens.

At the price of drinks, just a glass of wine at dinner should cost a couple $12 easily.

Actually, I did see this happen a few weeks ago on the Serenade while in the sports bar watching a game. A man was obviously drunk (not loud or obnoxious) but slurring his words and using profanity and when he ordered another martini the bartender gently and politely refused. The man was with someone, who helped him out of the bar.

Everyone is different and their "relationship" with alcohol is different also. We don't drink much at home, wine with dinner usually and almost never hard alcohol. We don't go out either - money/time/kids/responsibilities. However - when we cruise we easily consume a lot more alcohol than is our norm. We have no responsibilites, don't have to drive anyone anywhere, help with homework, be on call in case a teen-ager gets in a fix - so we can loosen up a bit. We have never, by any means, been out of control but we certainly have been over the legal limit definition of "too much". I don't think we are "giddy" about that ability but it is nice to be able to have a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa with breakfast and a beer or Gin and Tonic by the pool, a pre-dinner martini and wine with dinner.

On our next cruise our kids will be with us and the amount we drink will fall off considerably - why, because of that pesky responsible adult/parent thing. We may have slightly more than our "at home" norm but less than our usual "on a cruise norm".

If you are looking for people to behave in an obnoxious manner I am sure you will find them, drunk or sober.

In the month of Dec. I drank four times. A Christmas dinner, two Christmas parties and New Year's Eve. In January I drank once at someone's house. So that's five times in 6 weeks.

On a cruise I find myself easily having 3-4 Bud Lights (blech) and 3 glasses of wine per day, over about a 12-13-hour day. For seven days straight.

I then come home and dry my liver out and wait until the next cruise. there's just something about a vacation that brings out the alcoholic in many of us. Luckily most of us leave the alcoholic in the suitcase, packed and ready for the next trip. :)

Actually, I did see this happen a few weeks ago on the Serenade while in the sports bar watching a game. A man was obviously drunk (not loud or obnoxious) but slurring his words and using profanity and when he ordered another martini the bartender gently and politely refused. The man was with someone, who helped him out of the bar.

And the rest of the story goes... led him to another bar on the ship where he got his martini. ;)

Archived