FLL to Miami in a hurry

kdowneymd

We are considering a 10:30 AM flight from Miami after we depart the Jewel in Port Everglade 2/26. Is this at all a possibility if we are off the ship first ? I have to be the on-call doctor late that afternoon and need to get back to NYC as early as possible. Thanks for any input.

NO, i wouldn't risk it, if the ship is at all delayed, or debarkation for whatever reason takes longer, even if there was a traffic accident on the way, you would miss your flight for sure, if it was even possible to begin with!

It is a 45-50 minute drive in GOOD weather, traffic conditions.

Plus, you have to remember all the other cruise ships are debarking at the same time in Miami and FLL, there will be more people at the airport also to contend with. (Security Lines)

Guest cruzr44
We are considering a 10:30 AM flight from Miami after we depart the Jewel in Port Everglade 2/26. Is this at all a possibility if we are off the ship first ? I have to be the on-call doctor late that afternoon and need to get back to NYC as early as possible. Thanks for any input.

It is possible, but risky. We did the opposite. Miami to FLL. We were getting off the ship at 7:15 and could have picked up a cab as soon as 7:45 getting us to the airport by 8:45. We waited for our town car which didn't arrive until 8:15. We checked our bags curbside, went through security and we were sitting at our gate at 9:30 for a 11:15 flight. I would book it, but also make plans to miss it.

We were in the first group called off the Jewel on Dec 12 and we were not called until 8:30 due to some people who had not settled their shipboard accounts the night before. They kept paging people for about an hour and a half and then finally the first group was called. If you were flying from FLL I'd say you could make it because even with that we were at the gate by 9:20 (no line at self check in at the Spirit counter that day) but I don't see how you could make it down to Miami and then through check in and security and everything that early.

• 1 month later...

as a follow-up to my original post. we easily made miami airport in time for our flight. we were in the first group off the ship and had our luggage by 8:35. We picked up a cab right at curbside at 8:45 and were at the airport by 9:25AM and I arrived at work on schedule (without our bags as did 10 other passengers on this flight). I had a reservation with Larry's limo for an 8:00 AM pick-up but didn't see a driver. I called them and the dispatcher said they had assumed I didn't understand departures and the driver would be there at 9:00 AM. We weren't comfortable with waiting and grabbed a cab instead. Larry's insisted we had plenty of time to make the flight. The flight was overbooked and anyone who didn't check in the full 60 minutes ahead of time was bumped so I am glad we made our choice. I was not happy with Larry's decisions or response (they will charge us anyway) but it could have been avoided with a direct confirmation, I made the reservations online.

Archived