Question for Snorklers

ritak

My DH has a mustache and beard (not really very heavy) and when he tried to snorkel before, his mask would leak near his nose. We are going to try snorkeling again when we cruise in April. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping out water other than to shave?

If just snorkelling, he might try swim goggles. They now make them with decent sized lenses. I have a beard and 'stache. I have not had a problem with a tight fitting mask. Also, divers will suggest vaseline in the mustache to get a good seal.

There is a "mask seal" available that does the trick. I also have a mustache and use it with great success, any good dive store or dive/snorkel web site will have it available. One other thing I do is to trim and shave, slightly, just below the Nose as that is where most leaks come from. :) Hope this is helpful.

A dive mask will almost always leak if you have a mustache. The common solution used by scuba divers is to use vasoline on the mustache to help with the seal. The other method is to keep clearing your mask. I have seen both. If you pull the mask too tight it will leak around the seals. It is not designed to be worn super tight. If you take the mask off and the outline is etched into your face, it is too tight!

An old SCUBA diver

Archived