A few POA questions please

Rick2594

First time Hawaii visitor sailing the POA from May 15-22 and have a few general questions. There are 6 adults in my group celebrating my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. I'm sure these have been asked and answered many times but would appreciate just one more time.

1) We arrive in Honolulu on Thu, May 13 and will be renting a minivan. On the day of the cruise my plans are to drop off my group and the luggage at the pier, drive back to the airport to drop off the minivan, and then take a cab back to the port. Does this make sense or are there any better ways?

2) The day we disembark we're flying to the Big Island to spend another week. How early should we schedule our flight from Honolulu to Kona and what's the best way to get from the port to the airport for a group of 6?

Thanks.

First time Hawaii visitor sailing the POA from May 15-22 and have a few general questions. There are 6 adults in my group celebrating my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. I'm sure these have been asked and answered many times but would appreciate just one more time.

1) We arrive in Honolulu on Thu, May 13 and will be renting a minivan. On the day of the cruise my plans are to drop off my group and the luggage at the pier, drive back to the airport to drop off the minivan, and then take a cab back to the port. Does this make sense or are there any better ways?

2) The day we disembark we're flying to the Big Island to spend another week. How early should we schedule our flight from Honolulu to Kona and what's the best way to get from the port to the airport for a group of 6?

Thanks.

I can't help you with your questions. I am lurking on this board to learn all I can about the POA. However, I just wanted to comment on your minivan for 6 people. We rented a minivan once for 5 adults and there is no way we could have fit in another person and their luggage. Unless you are packing very light, you might want to consider another option. JMHO.

Thanks.

Maybe I can be of SOME help. When we were in Honolulu, we rented a car from Thrifty. they had two locations (at least that's all I knew about), one at the airport and one downtown (right in town). We had a car the day before we cruised and on the day we disembarked, we rented a car to spend the day. thrifty will be able to pick you up at the airport if you call them when you arrive, and you should be able to drop your car off at the mid town location and they should be able to shuttle you over to the port. When We did this, we called each of the Thrifty locations, (airport and mid town) to make sure we can drop the car off from one place to another and that they will shuttle us over)> they both said YES.

From what you ask. I would try and rent the car at the airport, you can get a shuttle from the airport to the rental location. Use the car, drop off whomever at the pier, take the car to the downtown location, and they will bring you back to the pier.

I can't say if any other rental agency will do this, but I know Thrifty did it.

Rick2594, we too rented from Thrifty on a NCL cruise several years ago, and they had a shuttle that dropped us back at the pier.

You can disembark POA pretty early if you want to. As far as scheduling a flight to Kona, I would probably not schedule anything before noon. But, I don't like to get in any big hurry when I'm on vacation.

You will probably have to catch a couple of taxis to get your group to the airport. I don't know of any other way. There are plenty of them at the pier when you disembark.

We are on the same cruise with you and your group. We'll see you there!

That totally depends upon what your drop off and pick up locations. For example, we were going to fly into Hilo and rent a car for a few days for a precruise trip, and fly back from Kona. The extra fee would be about $70. But if we picked up in Kona and dropped off in Hilo, there was no extra fee.

We've never rented a car in Honolulu/Waikiki.

Hotels charge a lot for parking.

There's a shuttle bus, downside is they wait until it's nearly full & thus make many stops, but it's pretty cheap.

Taxi is about $30-35 each way to/from airport.

Hotel doormen often whistle up cheap shuttles, we got one for $7 each !

See: http://hawaii.gov/hnl/ground-transportation

We've used Charley's and received great service: http://www.charleystaxi.com/services.html

Archived