What to see

ubsueg

Our cruise stops in Barcelona 8am to 5pm and Cadiz 6am to 5pm also Lisbon Portugal 8am to 5pm. We would like to arrange private tours, but I dont know what to focus on in the short amount of time. Can someone who has been there tell me what to look for so that I can set up private tours. Does anyone have any experience with private tours in these ports?

Thanks for the information and guidance. Our cruise is the end of May.

Sue

ubsueg:

1. Barcelona is a wonderful city that is easy to get around. I would try the hoho just to get an overview of the whole city. Take both routes if time permits, but the one that sees Sagrada Familia, the Gaudi houses, etc. is the best. Get out at Sagrada Familia, and go in if the line is low/time permits. A truly amazing structure! Then spend some time in the Baria (sp?) area and the old cathedral. Finish off with a walk down most of the Las Ramblas. Take time to sit, people watch and have some sangria/tapas. This is the only city you mentioned that I would not take a private tour.

2. Lisbon: I have used Hugo with Inside Lisbon tours. They are wonderful. This is a tour that shouldn't be missed. Just have Hugo substitute the amazing Pena Palace for the Sintra Palace. You will love it.

http://www.insidelisbon.com/EN/en_passeios_private_shore_tours.htm#lisbon_sintra_cascais

3. Cadiz: Cadiz is a nice port, but if you haven't been, go to Seville. The cathedral and Alcazar are among the most beautiful sights in Europe (imo). I tried hard to find a decent private tour, or even private transportation to Seville from Cadiz, but the costs were out of this world or not available. Even though I hated to, I ended up taking the ship's "on your own" bus to Seville . I didn't hear of anyone else finding a good private company either.

Have fun!

Amy

• 3 weeks later...

My experience, and that of many others who have posted on Cruise Critic, is that the HOHO buses in Barcelona are a bad deal. While they do cover the territory quite well, they are overcrowded and slow, and therefore a particularly poor choice for a cruise passenger with limited time to see the city.

If you are willing to spend the money for a driver, that will be your most efficient option. Barcelona is fairly spread out and there is a lot of ground to cover to see the top tourist sites.

Here are two recent threads you can look at, the first a discussion of the HOHO buses in Barcelona, the second about what to see for a first timer:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1060119&highlight=barcelona+sites

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1052159&highlight=barcelona

Archived