What is best place to fish?

henny

We are booked on the SB Whittier to Vancouver, Aug 16 - 23rd on Island Princess. The guys would like to fish and I'm wondering which port would have the best fishing excursion or if it's better to do this while on land? From what I've read so far it seems like this is better salmon fishing than halibut at this time of year? We will be going a few days early and doing land (Denali, etc) and could take a day for fishing then if it is better that way.

There are fishing charters out of Talkeetna. But depending on your time, Cooper Landing, Russian River, Kenai River are renown for fishing. Check your fishing charts for your timeframe. Otherwise from your ship ports, Ketchikan is excellent for fishing.

With your dates I'd have a look at Seward - you'll be in the area right in the middle of the Silver Salmon Derby, which is timed - not surprisingly - to occur during the peak of the silvers in Resurrection Bay. Fabulous, bright fish, and lots of them. http://www.sewardak.org/news-events/derby/salmonderby.htm

Archived