Trial might affect sightseeing

Got2Cruise

It just occurred to me that the upcoming trial of the terrorist might affect sightseeing in the downtown area of Manhattan. It was just on the radio that Chinatown is in a virtual lockdown and the people who live there need to go through checkpoints. Maybe another poster has more facts they can share.

They have announced that the only street that will be closed is Pearl Street---which is already closed and has been closed since 9-11. The only other streets that will be monitored closely are in Front and Back of the Federal court house and buildings. These are on Broadway and Center Street(and lafayette Street) on and near Foley Square, except for the African Burying ground very little is within that area. They did announced heightened scrutiny below Canal Street but the reality is that since 9-11 this area has had heighten security and scrutiny anyway. So while it may more traffic(and probably less traffic as well as people stay away), no tourist site will be affected.

and let me remind everyone NY has always been a target for terrorists, this is nothing new. A bomb was exploded in 1920! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_bombing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunces_Tavern

this is nothing new for NY and NY has been one level above the national teror level since 2001 and its been relatively safe.

thanks for the info!

most of us around here are used to security, etc, bit it's good to know that not much will change...although i would suspect more of a law enforcement presence and of course, a "smattering" of extra media types!:rolleyes::p

Henry, since I am the OP, I think you misunderstood the reason for my posting. I started this thread to warn visitors of any street closings etc. That's all. I didn't start it for any debates, either way. Blocks are going to locked down. That is how it is in New York now. We are just trying to give people the heads up. What one feels about the trial is really irrelevant. And the world back in the '60s is a different place than 2010, sorry.

If somebody wants to tour Manahattan they will do so.Tourism was not affected in California during the Black Panther trials when there was a 7PM curfew

Archived