summit info needed - please

famcruisefun

We've finally made a decision - the small ships were just more expensive than we could do - so we've decided on the mega-ship route. After much back and forth we've decided on Summit southbound. Now I'm trying to organize all of the parts of the trip - more of a job than I imagined. I'd love any and all help I can get.

We're planning to arrive the day before our cruise (please don't try to talk me into a land tour before - would love to if time allowed - but can't - this trip will have to be cruise only). What is the best way to get from Anchorage to Seward? As our plane won't arrive until evening in Anchorage (we're flying from the east coast) we're thinking we will stay in Anchorage that night and head to Seward the next day.

What should we know about the port in Seward? The Celebrity book says departing at 9pm - what time will they actually allow you to board the ship? We'll be travelling with all of our luggage - is there any place to store it until we can board?

Any other info/hints would be appreciated. We've cruised a lot, but this feels like a whole new world. Thanks so much!

Kelley

We enjoyed our Summit southbound cruise this past summer very much. After spending a few days in interior Alaska, then a couple in Anchorage, we took the Alaska Railroad train down the day before the cruise. If you are arriving in Anchorage the night before the cruise, you can spend the night there and take the train down the next morning. It's really a beautiful and very pleasant ride. Expecially if you won't have the opportunity to spend more time in Alaska, it's a nice way to get a "feel" for that area.

You have many options when you arrive in Seward. We enjoyed the full day Kenai Fjords boat ride. They will hold luggage for you in their office. Everything there is very close, so you can then get easily to the ship. If you don't want to do the boat ride, another option is to go straight to the Summit, check in, then go back out and explore (we checked in around noon, had lunch, then went back out). Exit Glacier is worth seeing - you can take a cab from the dock. If you enjoy acquariums, the Alaska SeaLife Center is worthwhile. Both of these can be done in the same day after you arrive in Seward if you forego the boat ride - just depends on your preferences.

Have fun!:)

One other question - what time is reasonable to expect to make a flight home in Vancouver? There is a perfect flight (the only non-stop I've been able to find) back to the East Coast at 1:00pm - will that work? We have a CC cabin - which is supposed to get us priority disembarkation - but I've been reading mixed reviews about how well that works.

Were you just adults travelling, or did you have any kids with you? My well travelled 13 and 16 year olds will be with us - they are busy trying to decide what they want to see and do. Curious what others have done/ experienced.

Thank you again!

Kelley

Kelley,

Your three choices of getting from Anch to Seward (125miles) is Hertz (expensive one way) cruiseship buses from downtown Eagan Ctr around 11-2:00 for the 3-3.5 hr bus trip with a couple of short stops. The early morning train leaves at 6:45am costs about the same as the bus and gets you to Seward at 11:05. This is a great scenic way to get to Seward. You would then have time to take the Kenai Fjords NP tour (6hrs)at 11:30. With a reservation, they will pick you up at train station and store your luggage and you can get back to ship about 5:30. You can get on the ship when you get off of the train. We took a cab for the mile to the ship. Exit Glacier is a nice place to see glacier close up. you can take short trail right up to base, need about an hour or little over. Seavy Family Ididarod kennel and wheeled sled ride tour with sled dogs is right on same road as Exit Glacier and a nice short tour.

The 1:00 pm flight home should be fine. We spent a couple of days in Vancouver after our cruise, so we took our time getting off the ship, but were still at our hotel by a little after 9. In fact, the day we did fly home we took a 1:00 pm non-stop to Newark and the airport was filled with cruise passengers for noon and oneish flights, so that seems to be a very safe time...The CC priority may have helped if necessary. We've had that twice, and not really needed it. They still try to prioritize people by the time of their flights home - you just seem to get a "nicer" waiting area with the CC priority, but now with so many CC cabins, I don't know that it will really make a difference. The other thing to consider, if they are still offering it is, that for a slight fee, you could actually check in for your flight on board the ship - they would then transfer you and your luggage to the airport, having checked your luggage all the way through to your final destination, so you didn't need to deal with that again until you got home. Many people felt this was a great convenience, and will certainly cut down on your line-waiting time in Vancouver, which is not to be underestimated. After we checked in, we had to wait another hour with our luggage to get through U.S. Customs at the airport - nice to avoid if you can...

We also traveled with our kids, 9 & 11. They had a great time. Two most favorite excursions for all of us were the whale watching out of Juneau with Orca Enterprises (Capt. Larry) and the glacier landing/dog sledding out of Skagway, which we booked directly with Temsco. Walking around the towns was not a big hit(you can do pretty quickly), so based on your interest/activity level, it's good to pick some fun excursions. There are some fun kayaking and hiking activities. The kids also really enjoyed the train ride from Anchorage to Seward and the hike around Exit Glacier, which I mentioned earlier.

famcruisefun ~

We cruised Alaska on the Summit last summer.

We took the train down to Seward. (tickets were purchased via internet at the Alaska Airlines site.)

Walked from where the train let us off...to the terminal. Celebrity had contracted with the Alaska RR....(nothing that we arranged)...and they took our luggage from the railroad directly to the ship.

We boarded immediately....it was in the area of 11:00..or 12:00.

Have a great trip !

Since you are limited on your time. I highly recommend you consider the 11:30am Kenai Fjords boat tour- this is your only opportunity for close up VARIED Alaskan wildlife and glacier (much closer than the cruise ship) and especially since you miss out on College Fjords. This is one of the top tours in my opinion. You can store your bags at their office as mentioned. This fits nicely with the regular run of the Alaska RR. Only other option I would recommend would be a Hertz one way rental- expect around $200/day. But superior to any bus and would at least allow you a little freedom on the Seward Highway. If traveling with kids and have 2 people then not a bad option. Plenty to do in Seward. request their visitor guide and make the most of it. http://www.sewardak.org

Great information, you are great! I just sent for the Seward info - can't wait to get it in hand. We are really looking forward to this trip. If we can eek out an extra day at the beginning - ship sails on the 19th, we may be able to fly into Anchorage on the 17th - what would you recommend doing? Should we stay the two nights in Anchorage or head right to Seward?

Happy Travels!

Kelley

Archived