A Day outside Amsterdam

cohengm

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of a good tour (company etc.) to take for a day (pre-cruise) which would include travel outside of Amsterdam? We'll be there in the latter part of April and suspect the tulips should still be in bloom.

If you want to see tulips etc., absolutely visit Keukenhof in Lisse.

http://www.keukenhof.nl

Last part of April is in general the best to see them.

It is easy to reach by regular connexxion bus from the airport and stops near the gardens.

From Amsterdam -as mentioned above or -take a train to Leiden (you will see some fields enroute), then a bus to Keukenhof.

That way you can spend as much time there as you want.

For a prive driver have a look at this list of certified guides and contact one or more of them:

http://www.guidor.nl/gidsen/en/overview-guides

If you don't mind not going on an organized tour, I would spend the day in Haarlem. It is a quick train ride from Centraal Station in Amsterdam and an even quicker bus ride from Schiphol Airport. It is easy to walk around and it's incredibly charming without the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam. I'm sure your river cruise will probably already include Keukenhof Gardens, but for that matter, may even stop in Haarlem also. Let us know what your itinerary is.

We're actually doing Haarlem one day at SaunaVanEgmond. I like the idea of also doing the gardens one day from the airport (where our hotel is). Thanks for adding validity to my plans. I believe the only tour included with our cruise is a canal ride through Amsterdam. We get on the boat at night (I heard that sometimes a tour director might take a bunch of people walking through the Red Light district after dinner), canal tour in the morning then "set sail" for Cologne.

You are right. The cruise director or assistant cruise director does take you on an optional Red Light District walk since it is close to where you will be docked. Even if the cruise director doesn't take you, it is quite safe for a bunch of you to walk on your own. Since you will be staying at or near the hotel, it might be quite easy and not too expensive to rent a little Fiat or small vehicle for the day which usually comes with GPS and then you can visit Aalsmeer, Keukenhof, and other small towns.

We're staying at CitizenM at the airport. In re-thinking, it probably would have been better to get a hotel in the city but I've already financially committed myself. We're on the Avalon Imagery. Right now my plans/thoughts are as follows: Thursday aft & eve @ SaunaVanEgmond, getting there via the Zuidtangent #300 bus. Depending on weather, either Fri or Sat to do the flower gardens and the other day to take the train into Amsterdam. Sunday morning we'll find the "meeting hotel", leave our luggage there, and do some more Amsterdam. I've looked into a rental car and it's still possible. To rent a car at Schiphol, they charge a 38 euro airport fee (about $56 USD) in addition to the regular rental fee. I probably wouldn't be using the car the day I go into Amsterdam and on Sunday. If I coud get a car for about $50 for the day we go to the gardens, that would be great. Any ideas?

We're staying at CitizenM at the airport. In re-thinking, it probably would have been better to get a hotel in the city but I've already financially committed myself. We're on the Avalon Imagery. Right now my plans/thoughts are as follows: Thursday aft & eve @ SaunaVanEgmond, getting there via the Zuidtangent #300 bus. Depending on weather, either Fri or Sat to do the flower gardens and the other day to take the train into Amsterdam. Sunday morning we'll find the "meeting hotel", leave our luggage there, and do some more Amsterdam. I've looked into a rental car and it's still possible. To rent a car at Schiphol, they charge a 38 euro airport fee (about $56 USD) in addition to the regular rental fee. I probably wouldn't be using the car the day I go into Amsterdam and on Sunday. If I coud get a car for about $50 for the day we go to the gardens, that would be great. Any ideas?

Zuidtangentbus will take you into Haarlem, but you might have to get another bus to get to SaunavanEgmond. I donot know the exact location.

Staying in Amsterdam would have been nicer, but since there are frequent trainconnections not only to Amsterdam but to many other places it still is good to stay around the airport.

Traffic in NL is more hectic then in the USA, not all cars have automatic transmission. Often you will hve to pay extra for that. Also gasprices are extreme high. Almost everywhere you have to pay for parking.

If you go to Keukenhof, try to avoid weekends, it will be more busy then on weekdays. If you go by car to Keukenhof, you will have to pay extra or parking.

For a possible "spare"day think about going to e.g. Delft (very nice small old city) or maybe to Zaanse Schans to see windmills etc.

Or when the weather is nice maybe The Hague and the seaside resort Scheveningen.

Or on a rainy day this hidden museum explaining how NL made land our of water. See how in the old days a lake was turned into what is now Schiphol airport. http://www.museumdecruquius.nl/en

http://www.museumdecruquius.nl/en

Re: Zuidtangent bus to Haarlem: We take that to Haarlem center and then the 3 or 5 bus to VanEgmond. I do want to spend one day prior to the boarding day in Amsterdam (Anne Frank House, Van Gogh, etc.). If I can figure out a way to reasonably rent a car for one day, many of those locations you mentioned would be possible.

Delft is only a short train ride away from Amsterdam and might be the coolest little town in the Netherlands. If your itinerary with Avalon is similar to the one we took, an excursion to Delft will be included, but a very brief stop. We used Delft as a base for a week to explore many of the neighboring towns. Would go back in a heartbeat. Delft is a smaller, kinder, gentler Amsterdam.

We paid extra for the excursion to Zaanse Schans and all six in our group were disappointed.

Bill

I assume CitizenM has a complimentary shuttle to Schiphol and from there you take Bus 300 into Haarlem (the driver will let you know where to get off). There is an outdoor market here as well as a cool residential neighborhoos you should walk around in. From here, it is about a 15 minute walk to the famous square (Grotemarkt) which you should not miss. Also, since many flight attendants stay at these airport hotels, they may have their own vehicles to rent for the day which is much more convenient than schlepping to the airport to get one. The front desk staff are good about printing out mapquest for you as a backup to the GPS. I also agree that Delft is definitely another option and also has a wonderful town square and outdoor market as well as local residential neighborhoods with canals and bridges and is even more laid back than Haarlem. Just don't get sucked into going to the Delft Factory. You have better things to do with your time and the factory is not withing walking distance of the center of town.

Not sure how? CitizenM is at the airport - 5 min walk from plaza - no shuttle needed. Don't know how I could rent a flight attendant's car, which would be great if it could occur. Really don't think Avalon itinerary includes anything but a canal cruise. Any advice about SaunaVanEgmond?

You can check schedules and rates for the train in NL on this website:

http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers

You will see going to Delft from the airport is easy. I wouldnot rent a car for that. Again gas is very expensive, parking in a city almost impossible and expensive too.

Another good site for public transport is:

http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/

on that site you can not onyl trains but also buses etc.

An interesting place (only on weekdays) to go to is the flowermarket in Aalsmeer. Not too far from the airport, but you must go as early in the morning as you can. More details on:

http://www.floraholland.com/en/AboutFloraHolland/Visittheauction/Pages/VisitAalsmeer.aspx

In that case go to Keukenhof by bus first.

From Keukenhof take another bus to Leiden. (see journeyplanner.9292.nl).

In Leiden take a train to Delft. (check ns.nl as mentioned).

Back you can take a train Delft to Schiphol with possible change of trains in either Leiden of The Hague. (again details on ns.)

No need to travel back from Keukenhof to Schiphol then.

Sorry Cohens, what I meant is that they should have cars available right from the hotel since they usually cater to flight attendants who are based there and need cars for day trips. But I have to agree with others that the bus and train system is so efficient right within walking distance of your hotel, that I would also vote against renting a car unless you want to go to many places in one day.

My concern is using the transport system. Stripcaart or OV-card? How many? How much? I'm surer I'll learn pretty quick but would like to feel I'm doing the right thing right "off the bat". Hopefully at Schiphol Plaza I'll be able to get the right answers.

Hi Ine

We have made arrangements to travel out of Amsterdam on Easter Sunday 04 April. Would you know if the bus schedules will be effected on Easter Sunday. We are planning to catch a bus to Landsmeer and then hire a scooter to travel to Volendam, Edem and Markem. Then catch the bus back into Amsterdam late that afternoon and we are worried there will be no buses? and would you know if the OV card will cover the out of town buses

Many thanks

Jean

My concern is using the transport system. Stripcaart or OV-card? How many? How much? I'm surer I'll learn pretty quick but would like to feel I'm doing the right thing right "off the bat". Hopefully at Schiphol Plaza I'll be able to get the right answers.

Trains: buy your tickets on the machines, follow instructions on the screen. On the NS website you can read about it now what to do etc. If you buy tickets at the windows (major stations only) there is a small additional charge. Not all machines take creditcards.

In Amsterdam, for metro use only OV card, but trams and buses use still strippenkaart. For sale for single ride in the vehicle, but cheaper to buy 10 or 40 ride cards at e.g. Centraal Station or in a supermarket. The minimum strip per person is 2, more depending how far you travel. You can use this card for multiple persons, by stamping for each person.

(When you need 2 p.p. donot stamp each one, but every 2nd.)

More information about this for Amsterdam transport:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

In Rotterdam there is OV card for public transport only.

Hi Ine

We have made arrangements to travel out of Amsterdam on Easter Sunday 04 April. Would you know if the bus schedules will be effected on Easter Sunday. We are planning to catch a bus to Landsmeer and then hire a scooter to travel to Volendam, Edem and Markem. Then catch the bus back into Amsterdam late that afternoon and we are worried there will be no buses? and would you know if the OV card will cover the out of town buses

Many thanks

Jean

Since Eastersunday is a holiday, the Sunday schedule will be used. That means in general buses start later and maybe a little less frequent. A great site for public transport is:

http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/

You can find all details about buses, trains etc.

I hope weather will be nice enough to travel on a scooter. Also remember traffic in NL often is very busy.

From Volendam you can take a ferry to Marken and back, but they donot take scooters.

Ine:

Thanks for the tips. Here's my situation. We're staying st Schiphol for all three nights.

Day 1: I'm taking the Zuidtangent #300 and then a local bus in Haarlem; return the same day. How will I know how many tickets to stamp/need for this journey. Being 65, it appears I can buy a 15 ticket card at a discount. Can I use this card for my wife who is not yet that age or should I buy her own 15 stripcaart?

Day 2: I may be taking a shuttle bus direct to Kilkenhof which appears much faster than a regular bus or there may be an express bus available at that time. From Kilkenhof I want to go to Delft and then return to Schiphol. How do I know how many tickets to buy? This trip, Kilkenhof to Delft to Schiphol will also involve train travel.

Day 3 and Day 4 are easier with train and hotel shuttle direct to Amsterdam.

I sense it's an easier problem than I appear to be making it.

Thanks again.

PS I checked the OV site I didn't spot and info on stripcaarts. Probably missed something.

Ine:

Thanks for the tips. Here's my situation. We're staying st Schiphol for all three nights.

Day 1: I'm taking the Zuidtangent #300 and then a local bus in Haarlem; return the same day. How will I know how many tickets to stamp/need for this journey. Being 65, it appears I can buy a 15 ticket card at a discount. Can I use this card for my wife who is not yet that age or should I buy her own 15 stripcaart?

Day 2: I may be taking a shuttle bus direct to Kilkenhof which appears much faster than a regular bus or there may be an express bus available at that time. From Kilkenhof I want to go to Delft and then return to Schiphol. How do I know how many tickets to buy? This trip, Kilkenhof to Delft to Schiphol will also involve train travel.

Day 3 and Day 4 are easier with train and hotel shuttle direct to Amsterdam.

I sense it's an easier problem than I appear to be making it.

Thanks again.

PS I checked the OV site I didn't spot and info on stripcaarts. Probably missed something.

Good information about strippenkaart can be found on the GVB site:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

As far as I know the Zuidtangentdriver you can use trippenkaart.The driver can you tell more or check maps at the station you board.

You probably can use strippenkaart for both buses incl. transfer.

OV chip is rather new and on most lines you can use either one.

Officially if you wife isnot yet 65 she has to travel on the normal strippenkaart.(But hardly anybody will check that when she isnot that much younger then you are..).

You have the buy a "Rosa coloured" card, (that is the discountcard) officially you will have to carry an ID that states your d.o.b. But again I cannot remember whenever I was checked.

I think in your case better buy a 40 strippenkaart and use it for both of you.

From Schiphol to Keukenhof you can check with the connexxion office at the airport or with the driver or on the maps .

From Keukenhof to Leiden is bus (strippenkaart) again. From Leiden to Delft is train, buy returntickets (no reduction for over 65) plus a single ticket Leiden to Schiphol. You can buy it in the machines or at the windows for a small surcharge.

You can use the rest of your strippenkaart within Amsterdam for buses and trams. For trains to Amsterdam buy tickets again.

"buy returntickets (no reduction for over 65) plus a single ticket Leiden to Schiphol"

Thanks again, but why a single ticket? Are you saying from Leiden to Delft buy two round-trip tickets and then from Leiden to Schiphol buy two one one way tickets?

"buy returntickets (no reduction for over 65) plus a single ticket Leiden to Schiphol"

Thanks again, but why a single ticket? Are you saying from Leiden to Delft buy two round-trip tickets and then from Leiden to Schiphol buy two one way tickets?

Archived