A Day outside Amsterdam

cohengm

"buy returntickets (no reduction for over 65) plus a single ticket Leiden to Schiphol"

Thanks again, but why a single ticket? Are you saying from Leiden to Delft buy two round-trip tickets and then from Leiden to Schiphol buy two one one way tickets?

Schiphol is north of Leiden. From Leiden you travel south (and back on the return) to Delft. For the stretch back from Leiden to Schiphol you need one-way tickets.

(That is what I ment, but didnot use the right word...sorry)

Do they not have a 3 day tourist card for unlimited transportation? Let me check my Rick Steves book and get back to you. You can even get them online ahead of time in some cities.

If that exists, it will be for sale only outside The netherlands, probably even only outside of Europe. Would be a nice solution.

There is a daycard for train, but that costs E. 44.60 p.p. which is no option for those trips.

From my research it appears the multi-day cards mainly apply to transportation within Amsterdam proper. I've since discovered that it will take about 8 or 9 tickets to go from Schiphol to my location in Haarlem so I plan to buy a 45 card ticket card for my wife and three 15 "red" cards for myself. 90 tickets should suffice for almost all our bus/tram usage including Amsterdam. The cost for the 90 tickets should be about 39e . The trains to Delft (and return to Schiphol) and to Amsterdam and back will be handled separately and at the station.

In case you are planning to visit Anne Frankhuis make reservations on-line through their website.

There is a special entrance door for people holding reservations and you can skip the sometimes long lines.

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=3&setlanguage=2

Good tip!

Is it possible to do the same thing for the major art museums?

Years, no decades, ago we used the Tourist Bureau in major European cities to arrange day tours. I recall one being in Amsterdam, but not exactly where. Can you help on this?

Good tip!

Is it possible to do the same thing for the major art museums?

Years, no decades, ago we used the Tourist Bureau in major European cities to arrange day tours. I recall one being in Amsterdam, but not exactly where. Can you help on this?

Yes as far as I know that also goes for Rijksmuseum and Van Goghmuseum. Check their website for details.

If you plan to visit more museums it might be worth to buy a ""Museumjaarkaart"". It is valid for 1 year, but costs only E. 35.- p.p. and can be used in 400 museums.

In Amsterdam for Rijksmuseum, van Goghmuseum, Historisch Museum, Resistance Museum etc. but unfortunately not for Anne Frankhuis.

Of course more museums in other cities.

More about this on the website:

http://www.museum.nl/index.cfm/musea-english/start

The Amsterdam tourist office is easy to find. Right opposite Centraal Station in the nice white wooden building at the water.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/visitingportal

last april we were in amsterdam following a river cruise. it was very crowded around the train station and there were long queues to get to the tourist information service. lots of building works around the train station. can anyone comment on how the situation there is progessing?

regards.

last april we were in amsterdam following a river cruise. it was very crowded around the train station and there were long queues to get to the tourist information service. lots of building works around the train station. can anyone comment on how the situation there is progessing?

regards.

I havenot been there the last 3 months, but I know contruction is still going on and will take more time. However the contructionssites have changed a few times, as have some busstops.

The tourst office usually is often busy, but they have a nice website with much information. http://www.iamsterdam.com/

Hate to jump in on your thread, but what is the best way to get from AMS airport to downtown Amsterdam hotels (with luggage of course)?

Th easiest way is to take a cab, which will cost around E. 45.--.

Another option is the Connexxion shuttle to various hotels:

http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp

Or one of the many trains to Centraal Station. But with much luggage not the easiest way. You have to put it into and from the train yourself and from CS you might need onward transportation to your hotel.

Cohengm, I think your idea of getting the stippenkaarts is probably the wisest choice. It is better to purchase too many than having to expensively add on if you run out. However, if you have the time, go to the GVB public-transit information desk at the airport and tell them your plans for the 3 days, and they will let you know the best thing to do, i.e. if it is worth it to buy the 3-day card vs. the Museumkaart, vs. the I amsterdam card, or just stick with the stippenkaarts. I like the Museumkaart because it usually (but not always) lets you skip the lines (unfortunately, not at the Rijksmuseum, which doesn't have a passholders line!).

Archived