Would this have ruined your cruise?

littlemoonrabbit

I've posted this many times (so those of you who remember can roll your eyes), but on my first cruise I got shot in the head by a marble fired from a high-powered air rifle while on an excursion. Still had the best time ever.

Second trip we had heavy fog two of our three days at sea. My two-year old got awful sick and ran a high fever. Still had the best time ever.

On neither trip did I cook a single meal, clean a single dish, or do a single load of laundry. I don't know what it would take to ruin a cruise for me, but I think it would have to be something pretty bad...maybe death of a family member or missing the ship while at port (than again that might not be such a bad thing...)

I think cruising is one of those things that if you love it, you love it. And I love it. Also I agree with the poster who said some people just have bad attitudes and will find things to get upset over no matter what. That's why I enjoy these boards, there are a lot of positive people.

If you do extensive traveling, things happen. If you can't roll with the punches, you should stay home.

This did not happen on a cruise but on a trip to Australia.

I was hiking down a steep slope without my sticks and fell and hit my face on a rock. According to the people who were hiking with me, I was bleeding like crazy. They did emergency triage in the field, took me on the 100 km ride to a hospital where I got bandages all over my face. Amazingly, my glasses did not break and the blood on my camera came off with no damage to the camera. For the next week or so, I had lots of Aussies who were total strangers come up to me and say "what happened to you bloke?" My answer was - "you should see what happened to the Kangaroo".

On the same trip, my wife got a blood clot in her leg and was in hospital in Darwin for several days. Not what we wanted to do in Darwin but all the medical people in Darwin were wonderful and we have some great stories to tell.

If you want a totally problem free trip - stay home. That is the only way you can guarantee this result. However, then you will die in bed.

DON

My 6th cruise was on the Liberty September 6-11, 2008. Now, if that week doesn't bring back any memories I will refresh them for you. That was when Hurricane Ike made an appearance. We were to go the the exotic east--HMC, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk--I had been waiting eagerly all year to get back to HMC and Grand Turk. I knew the chances were slim a few days in advance we wouldn't be going East, so I just waited and waited for the annoucement--I got it when I arrived at the port.

We went on the Exotic West route the Valor did--different port order. I can't say that I got sick, or things broke, or were lost, which is good. I can say that it was truly the best cruise that I had ever been on at the time despite the rocking and a rolling of the ship four nights thanks to Ike stirring up the water, the cancelled shore tours in Cozumel and Grand Cayman because of truly rough seas, extremly high heat and humidity, an extremely valiant efforts of the dancers to keep on with the show.

What made it great was meeting some fabulous people at a Meet n greet and some damn hot crew members to dream and fatansize about!!!!

It was my fave cruise, but when I went on the Splendor last September I had such a good time on the Splendor that I have a tie for best cruise--Splendor and Liberty!

We sailed right after 9/11. However we live in California and our cruise left out of Miami. Our flights were cancelled. We packed our 3 kids up in our MINI van. The only bathroom breaks and food breaks were gas stations on the way. 49 hours straight driving. Left on Thursday got in on Saturday Morning. Had our credit card frozen on the way there, as the bank thought it was stolen. Daughter got car sick and vomited on the way. Got to the hotel at 1 am and they wouldn't let us in without first seeing our ID. Hubby and I started off driving 6 hour shifts and in the end we switched off driving every 2 hours. Slept while the other one drove. Kids were bored. Once on board we had a fabulous cruise, only to realize that we had to drive home once we got off.

Have done 2 searches at sea due to people falling overboard. Very sad.

Made an emergency stop in Cabo San Lucas, poor lady feel down the stairs and broke her leg.

On NCL we had the pipe above our bathroom break at 2 am. Flooded our stateroom bathroom. Work crews were in there until 6 am trying to fix it. Loud fans drying out the room the next day. Needless to say we were exhausted after that ordeal. However we did receive a very nice bottle of wine without asking and choc. covered strawberries.

No matter what happens on our cruise it's all an adventure and it's better than any day at work!

Loved all of my cruises. Things have happened on all of them. Honestly can't remember what and where (injured knee on some island, sick on this ship or that one..who knows). All I know is I can't wait for the next one..or the next..lol

On my first cruise on Princess to Alaska, it was roundtrip from San Francisco. I got sunburned on my forehead in San Francisco before boarding. Who knew the sun was still powerful even though it was in the 60's? Whoops! I woke up the first morning on board with my eyes swelled almost shut. It lasted half of the 10 day cruise. Oh and it was my honeymoon.

It didn't ruin the cruise though. I still participated in everything I wanted to do. But I did make my DH object to any photo ops while my face was all swelled. I couldn't stomach the thought of all the guests viewing my puffed-up red face and having no idea what was wrong with me. I wasn't going to buy them anyway. :)

2nd cruise was Legend July 2004 out of NYC. Ship was almost a day late because it diverted to Bermuda for a heart attack victim. What sucked was Carnival's improper planning of 2100 leaving and 2100 coming. Then it got worse- other passengers screaming at purser's desk they wanted money back. Then during week they were removing gratuities like it was crew's fault. We were like, thank GOD they'll help a critically ill passenger. We told complainers, we were going to enjoy vacation and take up money issues with carnival directly. It didn't stop the *itching. Did this ruin our cruise? Hell no.

In 2008 we found out first hand about last minute cancellations and name changes in a cabin. Spent 3 hours on phone being told various answers with TA stuck in all of it because she had to make calls on our behalf. Vented frustrations on cruise boards to only be bashed, bashed, bashed. Things didn't not work in our favor, but we had a terrific, memorable cruise.

One princess cruise seas were so rough there were 40 foot waves coming out of the pools!

As everyone says ship happens you just gotta go with the flow. Maybe sometimes we expect too much or just maybe you scrimp and save for so long to go away that, if ship happens, we are so disappointed we become angry.

Just remembered that same 2004 cruise, struck up friendship with couple while we were standing in line for 4 hours to board ship. While on cruise got into discussing some political stuff. This guy comes from out of nowhere and starts arguing with DH and the other couple. My DH is ex-military and ex-cop, does not back down. Other couple had to tell this guy to shut and go away more times than I heard Kathie Lee singing:D I think he was trying to be a "man overboard"

Do love the cruise critic boards - we can all equally praise and complain and find fellow cruisers that can sympathize with us or tell us we're going over the top

Every cruise experience I have had to date has been wonderful as far as the staff and actual ship and ports go.. It was the last one that was "ruined" because of individuals we were traveling with, and not because of the vacation itself.

Needless to say, we took it as a "learning experience" will never be traveling with those people again, and are moving forward excited about our next cruise... alone. :)

The most exciting being a girls trip with me and mom, when a plane crashed in the port of miami and we were stuck in port for a few days... SOOO many people were mad.. we didnt mind... we stuck through it, eventually got out of port - and had an amazing time at the ports we ended up going to... and.. because more then half of the ship left and made other arrangements for their vacation - the food in the dining room was HUGE!! lol

Yes, we have had a very very very very very bad cruise. We were on the Zenith Celebrity cruise about 15 years ago, and we watched 2 crew members die, and two other that were hurt during a tender incident.

I had originally written out a detailed post, but somehow lost it. So, needless to say, I don't want to do the detail again.

We feel that Celebrity ignored several safety issues for their workers, and furthermore had not properly trained their staff to respond to emergency "in water" rescue issues during the tender process.

We watched a tender "fail" three times during the process of bringing the tender down from 10 stories high. The first fail, involved two crew members that were inside the tender as it was being lowered who were hurt but not fatally. The 2nd fail, involved the same two crew members and additional staff of two officers. This fail banged them up a little, but nothing like the first fail. The 3rd fail, it was fatal for the two crew members, and the two officers were seriously hurt. The tender came loose 10 stories up and fell in to the water upside down with the crew inside.

I still remember this incident like it happened yesterday, and I can still see the vision of the two crew members underwater with no one trying to rescue them. We watched the entire process unfold before our eyes.

It was awful awful awful. And, because of these safety issues, the remaining part of our cruise was spent with the crew being trained, re-trained, and trained again on safety drills. We did so many circles in the middle of the ocean buying time until we reached the next ports. Every port, the coast guard was waiting and additional engineers, cruise personnel were awaiting.

I could go on and on about paying $250 PP for tours that we took in the dark because we arrived to several ports really really late. Seriously, we got to most ports at 4:00 in the afternoon verus 8:00 in the morning. Those issues really doesn't compare to the loss of life for those crew members.

The tender process has changed dramatically since then. No longer are crew allowed on the tender until it has safely reached the water.

Other than that, we did have a incident on our NCL Hawaii cruise. Our room was flooded due to a pipe that burst from the jacuzzi. It didn't ruin the cruise by any means. Just a little inconvenience for 24 hours - until they finally moved us to a dry cabin.

We have been on 25+ cruises with Carnival. Never had anything ruin our vacation. A few minor things, but nothing to really write about.

But, the incident with Celebrity, I will never ever forget it.

we missed the ship sail because our flight went down in a small town in Wyoming

Now this would ruin anyone’s cruise!

When this plane went down, you walked away uninjured!?!

That is amazing! And then you got back on another plane?

My first cruise had a few problems also now that I think back.

The shower leaked all over the bathroom floor, we had 2-3 inches of water on the floor after every shower. The AC broke the last 2 days, and it was hot!

We didn’t let these things ruin it for us and have gone on 2 more cruises since!

Archived