Traditional Seating or Persosnal Choice Dining on Diamond Princess

Andrea A

I have had traditonal dining room seating, second seating, but will be sailing on the Diamond with the option of personal choice. I would appreciate pro and con opinions as I have to let agent know soon, anyone who has been on this ship care to comment.? If personal choice, was it hard to get into a dining venue around 7 to 7:30 p.m.

Thank you

It would make a difference too, as to what dining accomodations you want. Are there two of you only? Will you sit at a table of 2, 4, 6, or 8 or MUST you have a table for 2? If you are a party of 2, and will sit at any size table, you should not have a problem being seating in a minute or two at 7 - 7:30

I was on the 11/27/04 cruise of the Diamond Princess with Personal Choice dining.

If you want to get to know your tablemates and must have the close personal connection with the waitstaff then traditional dining is your best bet.

If you expect only professional service as in landside restaurants and "friendships" are not required, PC will work.

We wanted a table for 2 each night on this cruise and did not want to meet new "friends". I know, very anti-social. But this cruise was for me to totally veg out and do what only I wanted to do. Selfish? yes.

We were able to eat in all four PC dining rooms during the week. They provided their own fixed specialty menu along with the changing traditional menu each night. You could mix and order from both menus if you wished.

Our observations were that you could make reservations primarily from 5:30pm to 6:15pm-6:30pm or after 8 pm. Walk-ups were accepted in the same timeframe and we were seated for a table for 2 with never more then a 5 minute wait. Walk-ups between 6:30 and 8:00 were difficult to obtain. One night we walked up at 6:30 and both the Sterling and Vivaldi dining rooms were full but then we were immediately seated in the Pacific Moon.

In all accounts our food was served promptly with good service with only one exception one night.

I preferred the PC dining on this cruise and liked the restaurant decor variety.

However, as comments have been made, it is not for everyone.

Steve Hayes

I have had traditonal dining room seating, second seating, but will be sailing on the Diamond with the option of personal choice. I would appreciate pro and con opinions as I have to let agent know soon, anyone who has been on this ship care to comment.? If personal choice, was it hard to get into a dining venue around 7 to 7:30 p.m.

Thank you

Thank you for your replies and I did find the post thread on Princess topic. We (a party of 4, but will gladly sit with others)) decided on traditonal as 1 person gets motion sickness very easily and will probably do best with an assigned table and seat. I understand that I can try the other dining venues, so I look forward to the flexibilty the Diamond offers. BTW, how did you like the ship? I usually travel on smaller ships but this is the one going to Australia/New Zealand when I plan to go.

I think if it were just my husband and I , I would do PC and just go whenever and be more flexible; perhaps next cruise.

thanks again,

SHayesship and others,

Thank you for your replies and I did find the post thread on Princess topic. We (a party of 4, but will gladly sit with others)) decided on traditonal as 1 person gets motion sickness very easily and will probably do best with an assigned table and seat. I understand that I can try the other dining venues, so I look forward to the flexibilty the Diamond offers. BTW, how did you like the ship? I usually travel on smaller ships but this is the one going to Australia/New Zealand when I plan to go.

I think if it were just my husband and I , I would do PC and just go whenever and be more flexible; perhaps next cruise.

thanks again,

If you go to the Reviews section and click on Member Reviews for Diamond Princess I have one labeled 11/04 Mexican Riviera.

Steve Hayes

SHayesship and others,

thanks again,

Andrea,

The traditional dining room is called the International Dining Room and located aft and there is more movement in this dining room then all of the other PC dining rooms which are more midship. Just a word of warning if your friend has motion sickness.

Steve Hayes

Archived