Freestyle Dining on NCL Dawn

Deb1113

I keep backing away from NCL cruises because I travel alone. I am not the most outgoing person and I would hate to have to eat alone every night. But, I am giving the 5/9 cruise to Bermuda serious thought. Are tables set up only for people who are together, or could I be seated at a large table with other passengers?

You can ask the hostess if you could be seated with others. However, it is generally contingent on there being other passengers who want to share. In my experience, they don't have designated "singles tables" to seat people in the manner you are seeking.

NCL features a NON-traditional open-dining experience. This works for a lot of people (like me) who don't mind eating alone and who do NOT want to eat with strangers. But it doesn't work for everyone. If you think it might be a problem for you, I would trust your gut and book on a different cruise line. :-)

I was on the Dawn in November of 2006 as a solo cruiser, and based on my experience, unless you want to eat by yourself every single meal in the dining room, you'll have to find people to eat with you. You can't count on the hostess asking people as they come in if they want to sit with a stranger. Even when the hostess looks at you as if you have three heads and cautiously says that if someone walks in and says, "I don't want to eat alone! I want to eat with a stranger," she might not remember to seat that person with you. And the waitress and busboy will grab the extra silverware and plates off the table as soon as you sit down, even though you tell them that someone might be joining you later. Because they just don't believe you.

NCL's biggest attraction for a lot of people is that they won't have to eat with pesky strangers, so it's unrealistic to expect to have dining companions that you didn't find yourself before going into the dining room.

Thanks - I've read other threads about NCL on the forum and think I will look into another cruise line. I'm leaning towards Celebrity Summit.

You will love the Summit. She's one of my favorite cruise ships. Make sure you pick traditional seating, that way you'll be seated with people from the first night.

You will love the Summit. She's one of my favorite cruise ships. Make sure you pick traditional seating, that way you'll be seated with people from the first night.

Thank you. I'm actually thinking about open seating on the Summit. I believe it's different on the Summit than on the Dawn, because I believe on the Summit, I will be seated at a large table if I walk into the dining room alone (the same way it is at breakfast and lunch on ships where you have assigned dinner seating, but not assigned seating at the other meals). If that's wrong, I would appreciate your letting me know. Thanks

The problem people have found with Select on Celebrity is that many times, you'll be sitting there, twiddling your thumbs, waiting for others to join your table. The waiters won't take your order until the table is filled. One couple reported sitting there for nearly 30 minutes until they practically demanded to order their meal.

• 3 weeks later...
I keep backing away from NCL cruises because I travel alone. I am not the most outgoing person and I would hate to have to eat alone every night. But, I am giving the 5/9 cruise to Bermuda serious thought. Are tables set up only for people who are together, or could I be seated at a large table with other passengers?

Celebrity has a sailing going out of NJ to Bermuda the same day with the same itinerary. As a solo my room on Celebrity is less than it would have been on NCL. I had planned on taking the NCL Dawn to Bermuda on May 9th with my daughter but she could not get off of work and not I am alone....so I switched my reservation to the Summit on May 9..... there are residency deals right now that are really great.... It will be my first time on Celebrity and I'm really excited about it....

Archived