Cruising with my child with autism!!!

kerrytens

I never, ever expected to meet other parent of s/n kids on this board but I've made some great friends here. It is always great to network and share stories! I think it would be really great to somehow charter a ship and just cruise together ... imagine the support we'd all give each other.

Enjoy your cruises too!

It really is great to meet other parents on the cruise board! I would love to do an Autism on the Seas sponsored group cruise to Alaska. They are scheduled to do one this summer, but we can't do that this year. Maybe next year. :)

I thought about Alaska this year, but my son did not do well with the 3hr time change, so we are doing the group cruise in August instead. My son will take his autism service dog on that cruise

That would be a heck of a flight for you too, wouldn't it? I know it is a long haul for us travelling from Toronto but Hannah was amazing on her flight a few weeks ago. I'm already planning the next trip. Maybe we should all work on an Alaska cruise for 2011?? Just a thought .... gives you lots of time to work on kiddo :)

The flight was no problem, he LOVED it. The problem is the time change. He wants to do everything on the cruise including the 70s dance parties and midnight buffets, which gets us to bed 4am (or later) EST. We loved the cruise, but saw more behaviors because of the time change. It is a cruise I would love to do with him, with the right planning.

The flight was no problem, he LOVED it. The problem is the time change. He wants to do everything on the cruise including the 70s dance parties and midnight buffets, which gets us to bed 4am (or later) EST. We loved the cruise, but saw more behaviors because of the time change. It is a cruise I would love to do with him, with the right planning.

I know I'd fly in a few days before the cruise to adjust ... would that help him? Kiddo sounds like the perfect roll model for my girl to get her out of her safe spot, the room. :D

If we went to Alaska, we would have to fly in early. Give him your cabin # and he will call and stop by to bring her out. He will not miss an activity and wants his friends there, he is persistent.

That's what miss homebody needs :D

• 2 weeks later...

I only just discovered this board while searching tonight. Our 3 year old son has been diagnosed on the autism spectrum. We are sailing on the Splendor in a month and then again in January. Reading this is making me far more comfortable with this trip. He was just recently diagnosed and has been on 2 previous cruises. He's only 3, so we just thought being difficult and non verbal was part of his personality LOL He's actually speaking more and more every day. It is wonderful!

I contacted Carnival about a month ago and let them know about our boy. They told me to head to the Special Assistance desk at port. I assume that means we will have priority boarding, etc?

Thank you all for sharing your stories. They definitely help us to understand this diagnosis much better.

Its not necessarily priority boarding, but handicapped boarding. We did this in New Orleans once and instead of waiting in the long line we had a very short line, then once we were checked in we were able to sit in a waiting area until we could board the ship. They gave us a number and then called our number to board. Unfortunately they called lots of numbers and we had a very crowded group boarding all at once but I brought a stroller for these types of occasions and he sat in his cave. We usually just do regular boarding and give our son a game boy and he does fine.

I only just discovered this board while searching tonight. Our 3 year old son has been diagnosed on the autism spectrum. We are sailing on the Splendor in a month and then again in January. Reading this is making me far more comfortable with this trip. He was just recently diagnosed and has been on 2 previous cruises. He's only 3, so we just thought being difficult and non verbal was part of his personality LOL He's actually speaking more and more every day. It is wonderful!

I contacted Carnival about a month ago and let them know about our boy. They told me to head to the Special Assistance desk at port. I assume that means we will have priority boarding, etc?

Thank you all for sharing your stories. They definitely help us to understand this diagnosis much better.

Its not necessarily priority boarding, but handicapped boarding. We did this in New Orleans once and instead of waiting in the long line we had a very short line, then once we were checked in we were able to sit in a waiting area until we could board the ship. They gave us a number and then called our number to board. Unfortunately they called lots of numbers and we had a very crowded group boarding all at once but I brought a stroller for these types of occasions and he sat in his cave. We usually just do regular boarding and give our son a game boy and he does fine.

Thank you for the explanation. I'm not really sure what to expect this go round.

Many times with boarding we have been pleasantly surprised by either short lines or being waved through because of our stroller. I think asking for the handicapped boarding line is still the best bet, just be prepared. Bring your goody bag. A charged DVD player, game system, polly pockets, trains, cars, whatever works at the time. I once velcro'ed a DVD player to the tray of a stroller! I find that many times our kids with autism come out looking like saints compared to the other kids because we as parents plan and are more prepared!

I only remember one cruise (out of 11) that my son didn't do well boarding, and it was because I brought one of those monkey backpack leashes instead of a stroller and he was like a crazy dog wanting to get away from me LOL Live and learn.........

Yeah, he won't wear his monkey getup either. I love that leash, but not on him. He turns around and looks at me, sits down...

We won't be taking a stroller this time. He is 3 and his little sister is 2. Our double would fit through the halls ok, but it just isn't worth the hassle. He actually listens really well - to dad - and will hold his hand without issue. I contacted Autism on the Seas and they said they will set up - I could be using the incorrect verbiage - priority boarding for us. I think we'll be ok as long as we don't have to wait in a hellacious line.

He likes to play with his brothers' DS systems, but I'm afraid he'll break them. Does anyone know if that leapfrog one is more sturdy? Or can anyone recommend a cheapie game boy that would keep his interest for more than 1 minute? Maybe I can buy one of those handheld games at Target.

Yeah, he won't wear his monkey getup either. I love that leash, but not on him. He turns around and looks at me, sits down...

We won't be taking a stroller this time. He is 3 and his little sister is 2. Our double would fit through the halls ok, but it just isn't worth the hassle. He actually listens really well - to dad - and will hold his hand without issue. I contacted Autism on the Seas and they said they will set up - I could be using the incorrect verbiage - priority boarding for us. I think we'll be ok as long as we don't have to wait in a hellacious line.

He likes to play with his brothers' DS systems, but I'm afraid he'll break them. Does anyone know if that leapfrog one is more sturdy? Or can anyone recommend a cheapie game boy that would keep his interest for more than 1 minute? Maybe I can buy one of those handheld games at Target.

See if gamestop still sells the old game boy advance or maybe get one on ebay. Go with a wide variety of games to find one he likes, mario kart would be a good start. We had a leapster but once he got ahold of a gameboy the leapster was history, so if he has used his brother's gameboy thats probably a better place to start. Here is one I pulled off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-4-games-Tetris-Mario_W0QQitemZ150412630213QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games?hash=item23054a98c5

Hey kr2z!

I'm glad to see that you contacted Mike and his gang. He will have priority boarding organized for you, I have no doubt!

As for Leapster, I have a leapster 2 and a Vtech smile portable unit for my daughter and she loves both of them. The leapster was a Christmas gift for her and she obsessed (still does) about having the games organized in their respective cases. I, however, was not packing big cases. Sadly because of that, they didn't get packed because little missy would have none of it (it was my sister packing for her while I was at work and if it had been me, I would have just snuck them in ... I'm sure sis meant to do that later but forgot.)

Anyway, she obsessed endlessly about these missing games which we sort of used to our advantage to get her out of the room to go and see if 'we could buy' them :D. Honestly, I would have spent the $$ to buy them again if I had found them. LOL!

But all of that is way off topic of your question - yes, the leapster is quite tough as is the Vtech unit. I think the latter is a bit easier too but it would depend on your little guy's ability ... he may be fine with either of them.

Have a great cruise!!! He sounds like an old pro at this stuff already anyway but best to be prepared.

Since he is only 3 (he is 44" tall though, so people think he is closer to 5), I'm not sure what video games he would like. I think I will have a couple of kid free hours tomorrow. I may have to swing by gamestop. We had a reallllly old gameboy color somewhere around here that I used to let him hold. He was just thrilled with pressing the buttons. He has wised up since then though :p

Thanks for the input!

Since he is only 3 (he is 44" tall though, so people think he is closer to 5), I'm not sure what video games he would like. I think I will have a couple of kid free hours tomorrow. I may have to swing by gamestop. We had a reallllly old gameboy color somewhere around here that I used to let him hold. He was just thrilled with pressing the buttons. He has wised up since then though :p

Thanks for the input!

Have you checked out the Tag readers? Hannah LOVES hers (note plural). She has three of them due to the storage limitation on each pen and we were using the books as some big rewards for her at one time. She earned about 15 of them! :eek:

He might really like them. Does he like dinosaurs because there is a great one in the series.

The Vtech vsmile may be more his age group too.

A tip for your cruise. My son also is great at keeping his tiny little DS games organized in their case. However...he was sick on the cruise and therefore spent San Juan in his cave (stroller). To make a long story short, someone in San Juan now has about $200 worth of DS games and I'm still not over it LOL The good news is he was perfectly happy to play his older sister's games for the rest of the cruise. I just can't believe we let that case get away from us!

So...be careful about putting all of your eggs in one basket (or DS games in one little yoshi case to be more specific!)

When Ben was 3 I believe he was still playing Vsmile and Leapster, and we had a handheld kids DVD player. I think I even remember bringing the laptop to dinner one night because he wanted to play Thomas the Train computer game and I wanted to eat! LOL Thank goodness we always ask for a secluded table off in a corner!

Check ebay and consignment stores, all of those electronic games are way too expensive to buy new!

He does have a Tag jr, but isn't crazy about it. He seriously has the attention span of my chihuahua... it's not long. I'll peruse ebay. Gamestop is even overpriced if you ask me.

I know that chihuahua!!! Has a 'cute' nickname, if I remember correctly. Bump mr up to the tag reader. The jr would drive my child crazy.

A tip for your cruise. My son also is great at keeping his tiny little DS games organized in their case. However...he was sick on the cruise and therefore spent San Juan in his cave (stroller). To make a long story short, someone in San Juan now has about $200 worth of DS games and I'm still not over it LOL The good news is he was perfectly happy to play his older sister's games for the rest of the cruise. I just can't believe we let that case get away from us!

So...be careful about putting all of your eggs in one basket (or DS games in one little yoshi case to be more specific!)

When Ben was 3 I believe he was still playing Vsmile and Leapster, and we had a handheld kids DVD player. I think I even remember bringing the laptop to dinner one night because he wanted to play Thomas the Train computer game and I wanted to eat! LOL Thank goodness we always ask for a secluded table off in a corner!

Check ebay and consignment stores, all of those electronic games are way too expensive to buy new!

NOOOO! Thank goodness you had a backup plan for him. It was bad enough for us knowing full well they were home but it wasn't good enough for a chickie. I was so close to asking at the pursor's desk if they could find someone to hit a local Walmart for me :eek:

The DVD player is a perfect thing as well!! Definitely pick one of those up cheap as it will be a lifesaver ... and a heck of a lot lighter than the laptop we dragged along with us.

• 2 weeks later...

My son is 18 and will still lose anything not attached! all those game systems have a spot to attach a lanyard(some are hard to locate) and I put his games in a soft pencil case and that goes on a lanyard too! he knows they must be hooked to him in some way in order to leave the house (or cabin). has saved us a few dollars by now i'm sure! also he has a set of those "in-ear" headphones and if the noise and crowds get to be too much, he just uses the headphones to block it all out and regroup.

We travel extensively with our son sixteen,who was diagnosed as autistic at the late age of thirteen.To this day we have traveled multiple times with Carnival,Princess,HollandAmerica,Royal Carib,Celebrity and Disney.I have found nothing but good will and understanding across the board-once you go to the front desk and explained the situation people try to help above and beyond!

We have learnt to book a small table by our selves to avoid any extra explaining to fellow travellers,get to tour buses earlier to 'talk' to the guides,and take supplies from home to be more or less self sufficient and non rely on hotel/ship supplies for soap/sheets/movies-you name it.

Travelling with an autistic person is akin to becoming a boy/girl scout in the wilderness-learn to be self sufficient and make sure you have two of everything in case the first breaks or gets lost.We carry ipods,dvds,e readers,etc to pass the time in the airports.We ask to board first and settle down and relax before take off.When my kid is agitated some food or a valerian works wonders!

On board we ask to do the muster drill indoors and let him 'check ou' the ship first thing to get acquainted with his surroundings.On port outings we try to include an activity he enjoys too and let him buy a souvenir from each place as it helps hom remember.We try to get him the menus ahead of time so he can make up his mind faster.My son loves group activities and wants to participate so we try to accomodate and do at least one a day.

In summation-if you are flexible and take life in a stride you can definitely enjoy cruising with a disabled person:)

Reading some of the comments about dinner-my 2 cents are that it is better to have a set time every night instead of variable,since routine is soothing and same servers are easier to deal with in the world of 'autism'.

My advice to parents is enjoy yourselves-forget the labelling!

BTW cruising is a great way to expose kids to different foods,places and activities.My son hated grass and sand until we went to Tulum and Shel-Ha,hated the water-until we went on the dolphin discovery tour in Manzanillo,and the list just goes on and on.Actually travelling is useful to autistic people because it teachethem history,geography,culture,literature-you name it!

• 2 weeks later...

We just told our boys yesterday about the cruise. They are SOOOO excited!!! We showed our oldest boy (9 yrs, ASD) the Social Story from Autism On The Seas.com and he is worried about the 'Muster Drill'. Can anyone tell me exactly what happens during it so that I can reassure him. He is afraid of the 'loud horn' and is also worried that he is going to have to get in a life boat or go in the water. We are not doing the AOS group cruise this is just an individual cruise so I'm really unsure of what to expect or how long the Muster Drill takes.

Thanks!

795086.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=qaturah&date=4-10-2010&text=first time cruisers!&ship=Carnival Liberty

Just wanted to update, we just got back from our cruise. We had 3 kids with autism in our group. They all had a pretty great time. I called the front desk and asked if someone could stay in the room with the kids during the muster and they agreed to let my oldest DD babysit the 2 younger kids so we didn't have to take them. It was so much nicer than having him laying in the middle of the deck on the Eurodam with everyone looking at him and me like there was something wrong with us.

Camp Carnival did a wonderful job also. Unfortunately we also had a cruise to no-where (Nassau) as we had a propulsion problem. Seems to be a recurring thread!

Archived