VALOR- 1/17- 1/24- Mini Review and Highlights

Bermuda C

I wanted to hopefully provide a “brief” mini review with some highlights. While I do enjoy reading day by day reviews I am not so sure anyone cares what we eat, when, where, etc…

As some background we have been on five cruises, three of which have been on Carnival. We had a total group of 11. Our immediate family though is myself, my wife and our two boys ages 5 and 8.

We sailed the Glory last January so we were looking forward to sailing her sister ship, The Valor. We were already familiar with the layout of the ship, so everything was easy.

This cruise was AWESOME!!!! This was our first balcony and we were all pumped. Our cabin was #7397 on the Empress deck. This was an AFT cabin, but not all the way at the back. In my opinion it was a prime place to be. We were very close to the stairwell. Two flights up and you were right at the adult area and two flights down and you were by the Eagles Lounge and Piano Bar on the Promenade deck.

We flew into FLL on Saturday (day before) so as not to deal with the hassle of flying in on sailing day. We had arranged for SAS to pick us up and take us to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Once our flight landed we called and had to wait no more than 10 minutes for them to pick us up. Very easy, very friendly… Way to go. We had our driver to stop at the Walgreens near the airport to pick up some wine, soda and water.

I had read various reviews on the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. I thought it was fine. Great location, right across from Bayside and about 0.5 miles from the port. I asked at check-in if we could have a room facing the bay and port. No problem, we were given a room on the 5th floor with a great view.

On Sunday morning we looked out at 7am and saw the Valor who was waiting on us.

I wanted to get to the port early. So we caught a cab at 10:15 and were standing outside the port with our bags by 10:25.

Embarkation: It took a couple of minutes to get our bearings and to find a porter because the area was full of guests who had just gotten off the ship. We found a porter, dropped our bags, tipped him and walked right into security. There was no line at all. We were up the escalator, filled out the health form and given our boarding number. Apparently there are those earlier than us because we had #6. No worries… We walked right up to the counter to check-in. There were self service kiosks going, but we checked in with a live person. The time now was about 10:45 and it was funny because you could still see guests disembarking.

My boys went to the play area with computers and my wife and I relaxed. Our number was called around 11:20 and we were onboard by 11:30… NICE…

For this sailing the ports were reversed. So we went to Cozumel, Belize, Isla Roatan and then Grand Cayman rather than Grand Cayman being the first stop.

In Cozumel we had booked the Dune Buggy tour through Island Marketing. We weren’t sure what to expect, but it was great and the kids loved it. The eastern side of the island is beautiful.

For Belize- I have heard great things and seen beautiful pictures, but this was our least favorite port. We did not have an excursion booked and I am sure that’s why it wasn’t our favorite. If you do not have an excursion booked there is really not much to do other than hanging at the port area and having a few drinks and shopping. The ship anchors 2 to 3 miles offshore and the tender ride takes about 25 minutes. So not a quick on and off.

I also thought it was interesting how the crew, including Big Tex kept stressing that if you do not have an excursion booked then you should not go outside the gates. This was stressed over and over. We spend about an hour at the dock and had a few drinks and decided to go back to the ship. This was fine because we hung out by the pool and enjoyed the waterslide.

In Roatan we booked the Jolly Roger tour which is the combo catamaran, snorkeling and Gumbalinda Park. I can not say enough about this crew and how great they were. Very professional, courteous and very helpful. My two boys were the only children on the catamaran and the crew went out of their way to make sure they had a great time…

I have been to many Caribbean locations and now Roatan is one of my favorites..

The only difference for us was that due to high winds in the morning we were not able to dock at Mahogany Bay. We had to dock at the port in town. We were scheduled to dock at 7am, but then received a “Tex Message” around 7:30 explaining the wind issue. There was another ship ahead of us (Ryndahm, I think) that turned around and skipped Roatan altogether. The captain was great and negotiated a spot for us at the other port.. No biggie, but I was looking forward to seeing Mahogany bay. Oh well, will do that on the next stop there.

Grand Cayman- beach day for us. Went to Royal Palm and hung out and swam.

Summation: The weather was beautiful, sunny and warm everyday with the exception of our first sea day. It wasn’t cold, just cloudy for most of the day. The clouds did part though around 3pm or so.

The crew was great in every way. Very friendly, helpful and always available. Big Tex is a great CD and I can’t wait to sail with him again.

I need to give a special shout out to our head waiter in the Washington dining room, Igusti. What a great, great guy who took his time to make sure my boys enjoyed themselves. He was always friendly courteous and when we would see him at breakfast he would always come over and talk to us.

Our room steward, Dewa (sp?) was the best room steward I have ever had on any cruise. We went to our cabin around 1:15 and he was there by 1:18. He introduced himself and met me and my boys (my wife was by the pool). For the rest of the week he always asked about my boys by name and asked how things were. Very attentive.

Debarkation: Very easy, no hiccups. We were in the SAS van by 9:15am and at the airport by 10:00am. Only downside was our flight wasn’t until 3:00pm…. So we spent some time at the FLL airport. Next cruise I will at least book an 11am flight... You never know though, better safe than sorry.

Great cruise, great ship, great staff……. Just an awesome time…

I can answer any questions if you have them. I guess this was not such a “mini” review after all.

:)

I was on the cruise, too! Great review, no need for me to go to the trouble - I had a very similar experience. We also had a balcony for the first time - loved it!

Two things to add to your review. 1st - in Belize we did the cave tubing with cave-tubingdotcom. It was the best excursion we have ever done and loved Belize!! I totally agree with your assessment of the pier area. 2nd - we noticed a huge number of seniors on this cruise and the clubs being pretty empty on the nights we tried to go out.

We had a fantastic time and can't wait to go again!! BTW, is one of your sons named Matthew? My son is Alex and he had a pal Matthew.

Thanks for your review!

J-Hawk-

Another couple in our group did a snorkeling excursion in Belize and they enjoyed it. There are things to do there, but unlike Cayman you can't get off the ship and jump in a taxi to the beach.

My boys are Carson (8) and Zackary (5). I didn't mention Camp Carnival, but it was great as well. The only difference between this cruise and the Glory last January was the lack of "Fun Ship Freddy". On the Glory last year he was always walking around the deck, etc... My wife asked and they said "Freddy has been sick all week". I told them I would wear the costume if they would take some off of my bar bill (LOL).

I noticed some older cruisers as well. Did you see the group- The Cruising Amigos? Probably 60 of them.. They were having a great time though.

Oh, I didn't mention the family that was left in Cozumel... Did you see that? They kept paging this one family over and over. We then left the pier. I guess we were a half mile out and the pilot boat turned back toward the pier and gunned it and we stopped. Then it came back carrying this family of four. At least they made it back..

I will ask Alex about Carson and Zachary. Alex is 8 also, so he may have met Carson. I heard something about leaving people in Cozumel, but just 3rd and 4th hand. Did the pilot boat bring them back? Did you see the comedian on Friday night? He mentioned flying into Belize late one time and had to take a tender out to meet the ship after it was already underway. He claims they through a ladder out to him, which I thought was a joke. When I got thinking about it, it could be true? Do you know how they boarded?

Wish we were still aboard!

I witnessed it first hand. The pilot boat brought them back. Right after they kept announcing the names we noticed the pilot boat speeding back to the port. The ship then stopped. A few minutes later the pilot boat came roaring back. They brought them to the area where you enter the tenders. We watched it all unfold from deck 10. I just wonder if the ship charged them or what happened.

We saw the comedian on Wednesday night in the Ivanhoe at the earlier, "family" show. He was hilarious because he kept going on and on about bringing kids on a cruise and them missing shool. My wife and I just looked at each other and laughed.

Hey, thanks for the review. I love reading about others experiences and gathering information from them. We will be on Valor 3/7. Can you tell me anything about Holiday Inn Port of Miami? This is one of the hotels we are looking at staying pre-cruise. Thanks, JOhn

Bermuda C thanks for posting. I really enjoy reading valor review....I can't get enough of them until we cruise in April.

The only downside to your review is J-Hawk will not now be posting;):p. I was really looking forward to another review.:D

Again...Great review

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn - Port of Miami twice. First time, fine! Second time, just a few weeks ago the weather in Florida was very cold and the hotel has no heat and we froze in the rooms! They did nothting for us!!... Other than that it was fine. March should be fine as far as the weather goes.... Just stay away from the breakfast buffet. Horrible food. They serve eggs on freezing cold plates...not worth it even if it is free!! Go across the street to Star Bucks.....

Hello - thanks for a great review. We are sailing on the Valor on Feb 28th and i can't wait!.

You said you were in the van to the airport at 9:15 - did you do self assist? I have a flight booked for noon at FLL on the Sunday we return and I am hoping by using self assist we will be off the ship early enough to make flight?

Thanks again!

JPNROB-

I had read various reviews on the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. So you know how that goes. It's a Holiday Inn and not a Marriott. I thought it was just fine though. Now could I stay there for a week long vacation? Probably not. But we arrived on Saturday (day before cruise) around 1:00pm. Our room was ready, but I asked if we could get a bayside room. They said sure, no problem, but could I check back at 2pm. Not a problem. We locked our bags with the bellman and went across the street to Bayside to get some lunch. Our room was your typical two twin beds, but great view.

Unlike Janie315, we had warm weather. It was 80 when we arrived on 1/17 so no issue with the heat. The hotel was pretty crowded with pre-cruisers because it is so close, but no problem.

There is a little bar close to the lobby so you can have some drinks to unwind.

Overall, it worked very well for us and I would certainly stay there again.

I would also suggest to catch a cab around 10:15 to go the port. Check-out is 11am so it can be a little crowded at that time. So we caught one a little early. It worked well because we were on the ship by 11:20 or so.

MinnesotaCruiser- The burger area on the lido? I don't recall the exact times, but I know it's not open late night (after 8pm.) Your late night options are the pizza area by the adult pool. That is open 24hrs and also has calzones and salads. Also room service which is 24hrs.

I have to admit we were zonked from the sun and too many dod's, so the latest we were out and about was 11:30. So maybe something opened up after that.

Thanks fo rthe review! DW and I are on the VAlor in 52 days! Do you remember if the Grill was open late nights? If so do you know what the hours it was?

I was just looking at some of my capers from November for the Freedom (sister ship). It says that the forward grill is only open from noon to 6 pm and the aft grill until 3:30 (and only on sea days it appears). The Deli says it's open until 11 pm and the pizzeria is 24 hrs.

thecarneys: No we did not do the self assist. I guess we just hit a smooth debarkation day. We were #9, but my in-laws were #26 which was near the end. We just hung out with them because our flight was not leaving until 3pm.. So we were out front that early and we left with them. So they were hussling that day and I guess there were no issues.

HMS Ontario:

Basically the Royal Palm is a beachfront bar/restaurant right on 7 mile beach. You can rent chairs, jet skis etc.. It's not too terribly far from the port, but I don't think I would try walking. You could see the "whale tail" of the ship in the distance.

Great beach and you can walk for ever. The drinks and food are VERY expensive. (Or at least I thought so). I would buy the local beer, a Caybrew and it was $5.50 US dollar per beer. But hey it's vacation.

Right at the port area you will see people, basically cab drivers holding up signs with various locations. For the Royal Palm it was $4 per person, not bad at all. They didn't charge for my 5 yr old. And then when you are ready to leave there are cabs already waiting and the same price back.

The chairs rented for $7 (I think) and they would give you a ticket. No one ever came by to collect the ticket though. You could also rent umbrellas. We didn't get one so I can't recall that price.

All in all, a great beach day.. There was a fairly large crowd there and we were the only ship in port that day. So I would imagine if there are a few ships the crowds could get large.

Archived