Got sick on NOS last week!!

I remember seeing a segment on 20/20 or a similar program (I don't remember which one) some time ago that had experts on explaining why anti-bacterial products, such as hand sanitizers and dish washing liquids, were not as good as people think and may even over the long-term help cause the spread of disease.

According to the program, these products only kill bacteria (and not very well, at that). They will not do anything to prevent viruses (such as the Norwalk Virus or the common flu) from spreading.

Also, with widespread use the bacteria can actually build up a resistance to these products and in the long-term will make the bacteria stronger and harder to kill.

The experts recommended that these products only be used in settings with a high level of bacterial infection, such as hospitals, and that they be avoided for everyday use. They recommended frequent handwashing as the best way to combat the spread of viruses.

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I did go through a Pharmacy Assistant program that taught the same thing about the overuse of anti-biotics, so the information in the program sounds plausible to me.

I think putting hand sanitizers at the buffet lines might be more to make passengers "feel good" than to actually combat the spread of disease.

It was my observation on the Brillinace, that only about 50% of the people entering the Windjammer and dining room used the hand santizer, of that 50% it was mostly the women who used it!

We had a notice put in our cabin, that if you felt ill, you could have a consultaion with the nurse or doctor free of charge. Luckly we had no symptoms and stayed healthy.

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean

Majesty 95 W. Caribbean

Granduer 97 E. Caribbean

Rhapsody 00 Mexico

Vision 02 Alaska

Radiance 03 Panama Canal

Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800Are we there yet?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My bags are always packed!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Brilliance 3/29/2004

In the case of food poisoning there generally will be hundreds sick since we all eat the same foods. Possibly more than a Norwalk outbreak. You can always check the CDC website to check on your ship. Most score very high.

Here is another suggestion, take precaution in whom you shake hands with and also what we do is prior to going on the cruise we purchase some pepto, diarehha (sp?) medicine, tums, etc... Since Norwalk, these items are no longer available on the ships and you have to head to the infirmary in order to receive them. The reason behind this is to help curtail the further spread of a virus if it is fact a virus and not just an upset stomach.

You can help yourself in enjoying the cruise more, & not get quarintined for just an upset stomach or runny poops, but once again this DOES NOT replace handwashing that is the first defense to any virus.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Mariner of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Explorer of the Seas 11/02

Royal Majesty 12/95

Costa Riviera 8/89 & 12/89

<marquee direction="right" scrolldelay="0">

boat001.gif

GET OUT THERE!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomCat32174:

Here is another suggestion, take precaution in whom you shake hands with and also what we do is prior to going on the cruise we purchase some pepto, diarehha (sp?) medicine, tums, etc... Since Norwalk, these items are no longer available on the ships and you have to head to the infirmary in order to receive them. The reason behind this is to help curtail the further spread of a virus if it is fact a virus and not just an upset stomach.

You can help yourself in enjoying the cruise more, & not get quarintined for just an upset stomach or runny poops, but once again this DOES NOT replace handwashing that is the first defense to any virus.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure about Norwalk but with some intestinal infections, you really don't want to be stopping everything up. All you're doing is holding the bacteria/virus in there rather than expelling it like your body is trying to do.

Future cruises

Explorer OTS - Easter Caribbean 11/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Brilliance OTS - Mediteranian 10/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;10;15;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

Please do not confuse anti-bacterial soaps and lotions with alcohol gel. Anti-bacterial items contain an antibiotic substance (thus the possibility of resistance, as with oral antibiotics). Alcohol gel contains, well, alcohol. It is NOT possible for this gel to cause bacteria to become resistant. Either a germ is killed by the alcohol or it is not. Alcohol exposure doesn't make the germ stronger.

Considering that alcohol has been used for decades (probably longer--I'm sure someone will correct me) to disinfect all kinds of germs, I don't think it should be put in the same category as recent anti-bacterial lotions and such.

I am not saying that using alcohol gel or wipes is a substitute for good hand washing. Far from it; thorough hand washing is the single best way to prevent the spread of illness. However, if I have washed my hands but then go into the dining room and hold a well-used menu or other "common" item, I will drag out my mini alcohol gel before handling my food. I simply don't want to have to leave the table every single time I touch something that is used by others. I consider alcohol gel a helpful addition to our cleanliness.

icon_cool.gifbeachchick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kewlguy:

You cannot automatically assume that if you become ill on a cruise ship it is Norwalk virus.

It could be improperly prepared food. Viruses are usually accompanied by fever. So odds are if you just have stomach cramps with nausea and diarrhea you may just have consumed badly prepared food. This has happened to me in local restaurants as well as my last cruise and WAS NOT Norwalk virus.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kewlguy,

I thought at first that it was food poisoning. Lots of other passengers got sick after eating the shrimp in the dining room that night. But there were also others with the same symptoms that didn't eat the shrimp. (My DH didn't eat the shrimp, and he was ill)

One of our tablemates became so ill, he needed an IV to replace the lost fluids. Whatever we were exposed to was really NASTY!!

According to the ship's doctor, my symptoms of headache and chills along with the vomiting, diarrhea, cramping etc. suggested a virus.

Either way, she said that the only way to know for sure was to do a culture and the results wouldn't be back for a week anyways.

I was disappointed that the doctor promised to call us in our cabin to check back with us and after a day and a half, she never did. It was as if we got sick and the excellent customer service stopped. Then we got off the ship and that was it. My DH was still having cramps and nausea when he got on the plane for the trip home.

Majestic: Oct. '89

Rhapsody of the Seas: May '01

Golden Princess: Dec. '01

Until Navigator---May 15, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I wasn't stating that it would be best to "stop all the plumbing" bu if every time you had an upset stomach ona cruise ship and you went to the doctor, they will most likely confine you to your cabin, but if you have some stomach medicines, it would stop the need to see the ship's doctor and possibly the disatisfaction of getting confined.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Mariner of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Explorer of the Seas 11/02

Royal Majesty 12/95

Costa Riviera 8/89 & 12/89

<marquee direction="right" scrolldelay="0">

boat001.gif

GET OUT THERE!

If the condition is severe, do not coverup the symptoms and continue roaming the ship. That is one sure way of making others sick. Short term simple upset stomach, just live with it.

I probably would have self-medicated and not gone to the infirmary except that we had planned an excursion for Cozumel to the Tulum Ruins and Xel-ha beach. There was no way that we were going to make it.(I was sick from the night before on, DH got it later on that day)

We were told that the only way that we could get our money back for not going on the excursion was to get a note from the doctor. As a result, we were confined to our cabin. icon_frown.gif

By the way, they don't sell Pepto Bismol in the ship's shops- so you had better bring a lot.

Immodium did nothing to stop DH's problem either, after at least 6 doses he just decided to 'let nature take its course'.

Majestic: Oct. '89

Rhapsody of the Seas: May '01

Golden Princess: Dec. '01

Until Navigator---May 15, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You can have food poisoning w/ a fever also. The fever can come from dehydration or an infection.

So unless several ate the same thing and all get sick, it's very hard to tell if it's a virus or food poisoning. Usually if it is passing around easily and you didn't eat the same thing, it's a stomach bug.

One thing I have learned from this thread is to never, ever go to the ship's infirmary unless you are near death! I would hate to be confined to my cabin for what might just be an upset tummy.

I have neven gotten sick on a cruise before and I hope I never do, but I'll be adding a bottle of Immodium AD and Pepto Bismol to my packing list just in case.

When I contracted Traveler's Diahrrea onboard Brilliance in Feb. 2003, we ran into a similar situation: in order to get a refund on an excursion, we would need to visit the doctor. Since we weren't carrying any appropriate medicine at that time either, we thought it best that I be checked out. As a consequence, I was confined to our cabin for 72 hours and my husband, who was not ill, for 24 hours. I took approximately 14 doses of Immodium over two days before I began to recover and needed Pepto Bismol as well. (Now we carry Pepto and Immodium on every trip.)

While it was inconvenient and disappointing to miss several days of our cruise (thank goodness it was 10 nights), I felt too ill to venture out before my confinement ended anyway and I did not want to pass it to another passenger as it was passed to me. Let me also note that I was very careful (although apparently not careful enough) to wash my hands frequently. I have since learned not to touch my eyes, nose or mouth unless I've washed my hands first. I do not believe the cruiseline owed us anything.

Karen

Quite simple really, seeing that alcohol kills viruses, just increase your alcohol consumption intake. icon_smile.gif Maybe thats why I never get sick on a cruise - How bout you, Stretch - ever been sick? icon_razz.gif

Enchantment Feb,2002; Monarch Nov,2002; Radiance Nov,2003; Golden Princess Feb 28,2004

E8jxdiZ9faFKEKEk7kLioMO+rbBbKHM20060.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mariapd719:

Quite simple really, seeing that alcohol kills viruses, just increase your alcohol consumption intake. icon_smile.gif Maybe thats why I never get sick on a cruise<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree icon_biggrin.gif, we too haven't ever been sick icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martino:

Hello!

Sorry to hear about your illness, but I'm curious as to why and what type of compensation you think you might be entitled to for becoming ill? You didn't mention that it was food poisoning, so I think it has to be chalked up to both bad luck and bad timing. Stuff happens...we just hope not to us on a cruise ship.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that when the Norwalk virus was running rampant on cruise ships a short time ago passengers that were quarantined in their cabins were compensated by the cruise lines since it was the cruise lines decision to force them to remain in their cabins.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

• 3 weeks later...

I also got sick on the Navigator 15-22 04. I was on my honeymoon so that kind of sucked. I never got the chance to see Cozumel so hopefully my husband and I can go on another cruise sometime. I was sick for about 24 hours. I was in the Doctors on thursday morning, there was quite a few people there. The Doctor called me later on that day and so did Guest relations to check how i was feeling. I have never been that sick before but the next day i felt fine. I wasnt even weak. Other then that i had a great time on my cruise and would go agian if i get the chance.

I have a question for medical professionals on this thread. Does using Lysol spray disinfectant in the cabin, I mean all over everything - all handles, phone, countertops, complete bathroom, carpeting, bedspreads, chairs - when we first arrive in the cabin, and after the steward has been in - help at all? I do this, thinking it can't hurt. I also use a napkin - paper ones I pick at bars, to use to pick up serving utensils at buffet lines. Of course, I do wash my hands and forearms before eating, and just about every time i pass a restroom. Any comments?

I don't know Marsha the answer to that but I too do the disinfectant thing. Also antibacterial soap. However, on the cruise we both sailed on, I did get sick one day so I think it's a random thing.

What I read about Norwalk is that the best thing to do is eat cooked foods. That means no more salad bar for me.

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

Archived